C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

cleaning aluminum valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Bgriz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default cleaning aluminum valve covers

What should I use on my 327-350 alum valve covers to get them looking clean as new? Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Bgriz
Instructor

Ok, I should search first....

Many have used the glass blasting. How about if i dont want to remove them, what products work well?

B
Old 06-13-2006, 11:24 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

if you don't want to remove them try carb cleaner or brake cleaner. That will usually clean them up fairly well. Just don't get the brake cleaner on the engine block or it will start to remove the paint.

why not just take them off to clean them? it will make it a LOT easier.
It's nothing but a few bolts and they lift right off. If they haven't been off for a while than before you put them back on go get a new set of cork valve cover gaskets for $12 or so to replace the old ones when you put the covers back on.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:30 AM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I use lacquer thinner. You can lightly polish them with scotch brite pads.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 AM
John E. DeGregory
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminum Valve Cover Refinishing

Send your Corvette aluminum valve covers to me and I will refinish them to like new condition in about a three week turnaround. Thanks, John DeGregory
Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 AM
SIXt7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used brake cleaner and a combination of 000 & 0000 steel wool. Didn't come out like glass beading but are a lot better than they were...there is a good shine to them now if you like that look.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

On the car, clean them with Simple Green, a Scotchbrite pad, and a toothbrush. Lacquer thinner and brake cleaner will also work, but won't rinse as well.

How nice do you want them? How shiney do you want them?

If you want them real nice, take them off and send them to somebody who does this. They'll need to be blasted by somebody who knows what they're doing. If an inexperienced person blasts them, they'll ruin the factory finish and you'll lose their value. They'll look nice. But not factory. These things were sand cast.

If you make them shiney, you'll also ruin the factory finish. But some people like that. Shiney used to be the fashion. Shine 'em so much that they looked chromed. But the factory even-gray sand cast look is now the fashion. You can get most of that look yourself with the Simple Green. You get all of it be sending it out to experts.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Bgriz
Instructor

trying to look factory. The scotchbrite won't scratch??
Old 06-14-2006, 05:58 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Not Good

Had a set powder coated Wish I had not done that!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:12 PM
C2BOB
Instructor

I clean aluminum valve covers, manifolds etc with paint stripper. Returns the parts to the original finish. DO NOT allow the stuff to dry on the parts and rinse them well.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:49 PM
1961TUX
Intermediate

If you want them real nice, take them off and send them to somebody who does this. They'll need to be blasted by somebody who knows what they're doing. If an inexperienced person blasts them, they'll ruin the factory finish and you'll lose their value. They'll look nice. But not factory. These things were sand cast.

FYI, These were die cast parts not sand cast.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 AM
thomaswat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John E DeGregory you have a private message
Old 06-25-2006, 07:51 AM
John E. DeGregory
Advanced

Default valve covers

email me at johndegreg@aol.com concerning refinishing your valve covers. Thanks, John DeGregory
Old 06-25-2006, 12:39 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John E. DeGregory
Send your Corvette aluminum valve covers to me and I will refinish them to like new condition in about a three week turnaround. Thanks, John DeGregory
I have seen John's work - top notch.

Oth, I would never touch the valve covers with anything even remotely abbrasive like Scotch Brite, sand or bead blasting, or steel wool. You will alter the original finish permanently. I have successfully used carb cleaner and let the valve cover soak in a bucket overnight to remove stains. You can start with Simple Green or other cleaners and work your way up. It is difficult to start aggresively and work your way down without screwing up the appearance.

Gary
Old 06-25-2006, 02:55 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryS
I have seen John's work - top notch.

Oth, I would never touch the valve covers with anything even remotely abbrasive like Scotch Brite, sand or bead blasting, or steel wool. You will alter the original finish permanently. I have successfully used carb cleaner and let the valve cover soak in a bucket overnight to remove stains. You can start with Simple Green or other cleaners and work your way up. It is difficult to start aggresively and work your way down without screwing up the appearance.

Gary

This is the best advice you're going to get. Please listen to Gary.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:36 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bigearl56
Had a set powder coated Wish I had not done that!

I did the same thing with a set (after market) a few years ago. The guy did good work, but They didn't look anything like I had visualized (body color with the fins and "Corvette" unpainted). Hard to beat the original.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 PM
rahzip
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I found a new twist on this subject. Hand Cleaner! I used hand cleaner with pumice and some scrub brushes. I used a brush like you use to scrub you finger nails and a old tooth brush. To clean in tight to the script I used the blunt end of a bamboo skewer. It worked great. The mistake I made was using a scotch brite which left visable scratches.
But the hand cleaner works great. I would be interested to see the results with out the scotch brite scratches. If anyone tries it lets us know>

Get notified of new replies

To cleaning aluminum valve covers

Old 07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Ram Air Formula
Racer

So the factory finned aluminum valve covers that came on the HiPo 327s were unpainted? What about the aluminum intakes? Unpainted as well? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Air Formula
So the factory finned aluminum valve covers that came on the HiPo 327s were unpainted? What about the aluminum intakes? Unpainted as well? Thanks.
aluminum intakes were also unpainted except for some degree of silver paint overspray they recieved when the factory hit the area with silver paint to cover the black intake bolts and the exposed area of the heads where the intake mounted to make it silver - or so my understanding of it is.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys but the quality of the casting on my valve covers flat sucks.

Like they were cast in the Sahara desert or something...

Quick Reply: cleaning aluminum valve covers