C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Off subject - GM auto leveling suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,638 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Default Off subject - GM auto leveling suspension problem

Grasping for straws as internet search hasn't yielded much help. My daily driver 97 LeSabre with rear level control has adopted the classic 70's street racer profile with it's rear end permanently hiked up in the air. Obviously the air compressor for the rear shocks is working but something else isn't. Since so many of the members here are hands-on guys I thought I would take a chance that someone else ran into this with a GM car and successfully diagnosed it.

If the post gets trounced for being off-subject I understand.

Thanks

Dan
Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Grasping for straws as internet search hasn't yielded much help. My daily driver 97 LeSabre with rear level control has adopted the classic 70's street racer profile with it's rear end permanently hiked up in the air. Obviously the air compressor for the rear shocks is working but something else isn't. Since so many of the members here are hands-on guys I thought I would take a chance that someone else ran into this with a GM car and successfully diagnosed it.

If the post gets trounced for being off-subject I understand.

Thanks

Dan
Dan,

My WAG is that the rear ride height sensor has gone south, and not providing feedback to the compressor.
Dave
Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Section 15 - 13 of your 1966 chassis service manual might help you solve your problem. I have no clue as to similarities of the two systems but the basic operating principles should be about the same. [Tried to give you a Mid-Year related answer. ]
Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nassau66427
Section 15 - 13 of your 1966 chassis service manual might help you solve your problem. I have no clue as to similarities of the two systems but the basic operating principles should be about the same. [Tried to give you a Mid-Year related answer. ]
I appreciate the help - I probably should have worked at tying it in to Corvette subject matter a little better. It kind of has a hiked up attitude like a lot of mid-years get when the rear spring is replaced with a new after market one. Hows that?

Dan
Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Look underneath for the link from the rear axle to the ride hgt. sensor, and see if:

1. Is it still attached at both ends?

Plasticman
Old 06-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience is with a Lincoln rear air-bag suspension.

It has a compressor, height sensor, solenoids, and air-springs (there are no standard springs on this car).

The main problem people encounter:
Air-bags develop small cracks and leak -- over time, this causes the dessicant in the compressor to saturate with water vapor and kills the compressor when it tries to pull air through the plugged-up dessicant and can't.
The cure is to replace the air-bags every 100K miles so the dessicant doesn't fill up with water.

The way the Lincoln system is supposed to work:
The compressor sucks air through the dessicant and dries the air before putting it into the air-bags.
When the height sensor calls for lowering the vehicle, the dry air is expelled out through the dessicant and takes the water vapor in the dessicant with it.
So it is a continuous cycle of the air being dryed and then the dry air drying the dessicant on the way back out.
When you have, even small, leaks, the dry air leaks out and the compressor has to draw in moist air to replace it -- that moisture is never taken back out of the dessicant because the dry air leaked. Eventually, the dessicant fills up with water and plugs.
Changing the air-bags in a Lincoln suspension is preventative maintenance -- like changing spark plugs.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 06-20-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Vipermike
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Look underneath for the link from the rear axle to the ride hgt. sensor, and see if:

Plasticman
A friend of mine owns a Lexus SUV with a similar ride height system. He once came to me with the same problem you are experiencing. After looking the vehicle over I found he had run over something and bent the ride height sensor bracket attached to the rear axle.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Red '66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem several years ago with a '97 Park Avenue.... it would inflate the rear shocks to max height and not level out. Dealer finally found that a relay under the hood that controlled the compressor was bad. Replaced the relay and it was fine after that.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:09 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Plasticman

Plasticman
So far that is all I've checked and verified. I'm getting ready to go crawl under it.

Dan
Old 06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red '66
I had the same problem several years ago with a '97 Park Avenue.... it would inflate the rear shocks to max height and not level out. Dealer finally found that a relay under the hood that controlled the compressor was bad. Replaced the relay and it was fine after that.
That sounds like a good possibility. If I don't find anything mechanically wrong or a broken wire underneath I'll try replacing the relay.

Checked the compressor, linkage, wiring, etc. Disconnected the link and ran the compressor and watched it stop when I lowered the link. But nothing releases air to lower the ride height. I found a small relay for the auto leveling system under the pass. dash and will replace it tomorrow and see what happens - hope for the best. Couldn't identify any relays under the hood that looked suspicious, but if my car once had a fuse/relay directory on the underhood cover, it's gone now so I can't tell for sure.

Thanks

Dan

Last edited by DansYellow66; 06-20-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red '66
Thanks Red 66 - It was a relay (under the dash on the Lesabre). Repaired for $12. This is a great forum for whatever ails you.

Dan
Old 06-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Red '66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anytime.....I actually miss that old Park Avenue....it was one comfortable car for road trips!
Ok.. now back to regularly scheduled programing......

Get notified of new replies

To Off subject - GM auto leveling suspension problem

Quick Reply: Off subject - GM auto leveling suspension problem