C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

WTB - '66 coupe.. advice needed [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts

Default buy it

if you dont get this one, where's the next one or the other one?. I mean these dont roll by every day close to home with obviously reasonable owners. I would take it if the frame is good or good enough and the "birdcage" whatever that is. you see I have a C1.

Is the birdcage the frame element around the differential center section or around the cockpit?

offer 22 then be prepared to go to 25 and this time next year you will be very happy you did.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:26 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,782 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Joe,
I thought I saw that car at our show on Sunday too? I was working it and had a table in the vendor area so I didn't get to look over the cars too good or for long. If it's gone too bad but maybe it was meant to be? They are still around and if you get one that needs to be rebuild I can tell you how or do the custom rebuilding for you.Take the body off and they are pretty much the same as what you have. Good luck.

Gary
Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
65coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS78SILVERANNIV
I'd pay 25k for it... but I'm a little concerned about the rust issues.

In fact, I'm amazed at how rusted out some of these East coast cars are.

Out here in California... we don't have rust.... we don't see rust... we don't deal with rust. Everything is solid... even in 40 year old cars!

I've bought a lot of em.... and I won't buy anything that's not from California, Nevada, or Arizona.

Too much rust out there on the East coast..... WATCH OUT!
Bottom line is you check a car frame and birdcage no matter where its for sale. You don't know how many of these 40 year old cars criss-crossed the country every time they've been sold. I talked to the owner previous to the guy (Massachusetts) I bought in from and he told me its a Oklahoma car. So it went from OK to MA to NY. Southwest or not...stick your head under the car.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He sold it.... go figure. Thats how good a deal it was. I should have brought some cash with me the first time....

The way I see it, something better will come around...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr1999
Joe,
I thought I saw that car at our show on Sunday too? I was working it and had a table in the vendor area so I didn't get to look over the cars too good or for long. If it's gone too bad but maybe it was meant to be? They are still around and if you get one that needs to be rebuild I can tell you how or do the custom rebuilding for you.Take the body off and they are pretty much the same as what you have. Good luck.

Gary
I didnt make it to the show... I was out deep sea fishing... and thats where he sold the car. I looked at it on Saturday.

plus, my brakes arent yet done... check the c3 section for post shortly.

Quick Reply: WTB - '66 coupe.. advice needed [PICS]