C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone know this guy???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Anyone know this guy???

I just received an e-mail from a guy advising me that he heard I was an expert on 66 vettes and wanting to know if I could help him put the rear seat back in his car. He sent an attachment which is a photo of something, not sure what as I did not open it. His e-mail address is: rayvette66@hotmail.com

Does anyone know this guy or have any information on him. I have never held myself out as an expert in anything so I am not sure where he got this information. One thing that leads me to believe that this is some type of come on is that everyone who knows vettes knows they don't have a back seat. Unless he is talking about a seat back and in that case it is a simple matter of putting screws back in, which I don't feel you need to be an expert in. Is this the way scammer's get your information to put your items on E-bay for sale or am I worried about nothing here. Thanks for any replies.

Steve

Last edited by 66BlkBB; 09-19-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was one of those wacko customs posted that had back seats in it, but I doubt that this guy is the owner. Congratulations on being smart enough to not open the attachment. You probably saved your computer.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Steve
forward the attachment to me at my email address. it will automatically go into my 'suspicious' quarantine and maybe i can see what it is.
Bill
Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wmf62
Steve
forward the attachment to me at my email address. it will automatically go into my 'suspicious' quarantine and maybe i can see what it is.
Bill
++++++++++++++++++++

Bill,

Will do. Thanks for the help and replies. Would like to know if this is how people (scammers) get your personal info, etc. to set up bogus sales, etc. on e-bay.

Steve

PS Bill, how do I get your e-mail address. The system will not let me attach any items to an e-mail from this site. Maybe you can PM me to give me the address so I can forward what I did get on to you.

Steve

Last edited by 66BlkBB; 09-19-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scammers will sometimes do this stuff to steal your active email address. Do not reply to him.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:23 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Steve
PM sent
Bill
Old 09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

It used to be very popular to put,what i think was a jeep seat, in the back of C-2 coupes. Its questionable wheather adults could spend much time back there,but kids fit. This is of course in the 1960s.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
It used to be very popular to put,what i think was a jeep seat, in the back of C-2 coupes. Its questionable wheather adults could spend much time back there,but kids fit. This is of course in the 1960s.
We used to ride three kids in the back, baby on wifes lap and me shifting happily! Towing a boat too! Al W.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:39 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Ok guys, just a heads up here. I sent the original e-mail to Bill (wmf62) and he ran it on his computer. Says that when he attempted to open the attachment it would re-boot his computer automatically which he felt was an attempt to put a worm or virus on my computer. So if you ever see any e-mail or correspondence from rayvette66@hotmail.com you should immediately delete it as it is probably an attempt to foul up your computer.

Thanks again Bill for the help.

Steve
Old 09-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Ok guys, just a heads up here. I sent the original e-mail to Bill (wmf62) and he ran it on his computer. Says that when he attempted to open the attachment it would re-boot his computer automatically which he felt was an attempt to put a worm or virus on my computer. So if you ever see any e-mail or correspondence from rayvette66@hotmail.com you should immediately delete it as it is probably an attempt to foul up your computer.

Thanks again Bill for the help.

Steve
Yeah, Bill: THANKS for your efforts & Thank You to Steve for alerting us with the attempt & the results

Cruz
Old 09-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but this thread has me thinking about a couple of recent emails I received and responded to, that evolved from emails saying that a Corvette Forum member has a message for me.

I usually click on the appropriate link and see the senders' emails, which seem to be honest questions about one of my cars that apear appropriate for one Forum member to ask another. I actually enjoy receiving these messages, as it's a way to correspond with fellow Corvette nuts about our hobby.

So, am I safe to answer email messages that come my way as "You have a message from a Corvette Forum member" or words to that effect?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra66
This may be a stupid question, but this thread has me thinking about a couple of recent emails I received and responded to, that evolved from emails saying that a Corvette Forum member has a message for me.

I usually click on the appropriate link and see the senders' emails, which seem to be honest questions about one of my cars that apear appropriate for one Forum member to ask another. I actually enjoy receiving these messages, as it's a way to correspond with fellow Corvette nuts about our hobby.

So, am I safe to answer email messages that come my way as "You have a message from a Corvette Forum member" or words to that effect?
As long as it's from corvette forum. It should say where it's from. My e-mail is @yahoo; they weed out alot of the junk mail.

I have responded several times and no problems so far (knock on wood).
Old 09-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are ever in doubt. Or want to be on the safe side. Wait until you are logged in on the forum and do them through your forum inbox. I have talked with many forum members through regular email, marked from the forum like you say. But, you can also see how good some of the 'phishers' are with authentic looking messages from ebay, paypal, etc...

Originally Posted by Cobra66

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know this guy???

Quick Reply: Anyone know this guy???