C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 Vette - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Jstockton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
FedEx Bowl 4 St. Jude '09
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default 1962 Vette - Advice

My brother in law is seriously considering the purchase of a 1962 Vette - he has already put money down, We will be driving to NE to look at it on Sat. to see if it checks out, I have had C3's, C4's and now a C5, but I don't have any experience with any C1's. He has had several C3's as well.

I know the C5 forums are incredible when it comes to help and I was wondering if you guys could look at the link below and see if you see anything about this car that might raise a flag. Maybe even someone in or around NE has seen the car.

Any help would be appreciated..

obviously the Tach seems weird anyone heard of this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260037806881

Last edited by Jstockton; 10-11-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:30 PM
dfolse62
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He must be seriously considering it since I suppose he had the winning bid.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Jstockton
Pro

He didnt actually win the auction, He called later and the other guy must have backed out, So he is next in line.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The car is 40+ years old. It very likely had the tach replaced because the original broke.

oWEN
Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Casper001
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Considering the price, mileage is probably 14x,000, not 4x,000 miles.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

Default c1's

If you have been driving any thing late model your gonna have a real experience with the C1. They dont drive well, remember they have the crude suspension, poor steering and rotten brakes from a 49 chevrolet. You have to drive them for nostalgic reasons or change things to make them drive well. I have one, enough power to be really dangerous, (no brakes) you will want discs regardless of what anyone else says, (like perfectly functioning drums are OK) true they are OK for a 49 chevy! Steering is really bad in parking lots, generator doesnt charge much and dim headlights, 45 year old wiring, lots of bubba maintenance and repairs remember these cars were worth about $1500 in 1979. Look for crash damage (undisclosed). But if you got the cash to blow go for it and enjoy, this time next year you wont regret it!!! I am still surprised at the values and I have one!!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
(no brakes) you will want discs regardless of what anyone else says, (like perfectly functioning drums are OK) true they are OK for a 49 chevy!
One thing to remember about the '49 design brakes. They were designed to stop a full size 49 chevy sedan (almost 3 tons of steel). They work quite well in the lighter Corvette.

They may require some adjusting from time to time, and yes, the discs work better in water, but they are still quite safe nonetheless.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:12 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Brakes are 51 vintage. The 50-earlier brakes were huck style brakes and 51-later were Bendix style------------------A MAJOR DIFFERENCE!
True, the steering leaves a lot to be desired, there is NO power steering and there really isn't a suitable ps add-on available for these cars. BUT, if you do not add wide wheels on the front, install radials, have a good alignment and keep the tire pressure around 32psi-------------AND you're not a total wimp, the manual steering isn't all that bad. My 56 has larger than stock radials on 15x6 wheels, a fast steering adapter, I'm 63yr and I can handle my obsolete, 1940s technology 56 just fine. As a matter of fact, just this last week at the Eureka Springs event, I came in second in the autocross event in my class. I have upgraded my brakes with a home made HD brake setup, but they are still MANUAL drum brakes. Oh ya, and I pulled a trailer.

Damn, it stops good!
So, don't be too quick to condemn these antiques (why is it that the pre-madonna owners of later model Vettes always seem to be down on the very reason for the existance of the car they own? If Zora hadn't saved the mark back in the 50s, you might be driving some kind of Dodge, Kaiser, DeSoto or whatever).
SOAPBOX FOR SALE, CHEAP!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Brakes are 51 vintage. The 50-earlier brakes were huck style brakes and 51-later were Bendix style------------------A MAJOR DIFFERENCE!
True, the steering leaves a lot to be desired, there is NO power steering and there really isn't a suitable ps add-on available for these cars. BUT, if you do not add wide wheels on the front, install radials, have a good alignment and keep the tire pressure around 32psi-------------AND you're not a total wimp, the manual steering isn't all that bad. My 56 has larger than stock radials on 15x6 wheels, a fast steering adapter, I'm 63yr and I can handle my obsolete, 1940s technology 56 just fine. As a matter of fact, just this last week at the Eureka Springs event, I came in second in the autocross event in my class. I have upgraded my brakes with a home made HD brake setup, but they are still MANUAL drum brakes. Oh ya, and I pulled a trailer.

Damn, it stops good!
So, don't be too quick to condemn these antiques (why is it that the pre-madonna owners of later model Vettes always seem to be down on the very reason for the existance of the car they own? If Zora hadn't saved the mark back in the 50s, you might be driving some kind of Dodge, Kaiser, DeSoto or whatever).
SOAPBOX FOR SALE, CHEAP!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:26 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
If you have been driving any thing late model your gonna have a real experience with the C1. They dont drive well, remember they have the crude suspension, poor steering and rotten brakes from a 49 chevrolet. You have to drive them for nostalgic reasons or change things to make them drive well. I have one, enough power to be really dangerous, (no brakes) you will want discs regardless of what anyone else says, (like perfectly functioning drums are OK) true they are OK for a 49 chevy! Steering is really bad in parking lots, generator doesnt charge much and dim headlights, 45 year old wiring, lots of bubba maintenance and repairs remember these cars were worth about $1500 in 1979. Look for crash damage (undisclosed). But if you got the cash to blow go for it and enjoy, this time next year you wont regret it!!! I am still surprised at the values and I have one!!!!
Now that's about the biggest bunch of Hogwash I have ever read!! The fact is that if they are in good mechanical shape they drive like a slot car - compared to Model T speedster, If you get my drift. Remember in their day they won all the marbles in SCCA against the likes of Jaguar, Mercedes Benz, Aston Martin, Porsche, and the likes. Wouldn't have been the case if they were as bad as you portray them. Fact is everything is relative and it is pure bunk to try to compare 40 year old technology to today's. It might say something however about the level of pussification of today's drivers (this forum's members excluded of course).
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by K2
The fact is that if they are in good mechanical shape they drive like a slot car -

After I took off the front cross member and totally rebuilt it with all new parts, including front and rear sway bar bushings and new leaf spring bushings and new coil springs (one had sort of collapsed, but the sway bar kept it from being obvious), the car handles fabulously with modern 50/60 profile tires.. It has great throttle steer also.

Before I did all the above, the handling reminded me of trying to ride a pizza plate on marbles

Doug
Old 10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio

Originally Posted by K2
Now that's about the biggest bunch of Hogwash I have ever read!! The fact is that if they are in good mechanical shape they drive like a slot car - compared to Model T speedster, If you get my drift. Remember in their day they won all the marbles in SCCA against the likes of Jaguar, Mercedes Benz, Aston Martin, Porsche, and the likes. Wouldn't have been the case if they were as bad as you portray them. Fact is everything is relative and it is pure bunk to try to compare 40 year old technology to today's. It might say something however about the level of pussification of today's drivers (this forum's members excluded of course).

All hogwash, bunk, and pussification.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

DZ, K2, Duntov, you guys are on fire today! Even Paul [politely, of course] comes in to defend the old school stuff, love it . . . .
Old 10-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Jstockton
Pro

Thanks for the great answers so far.

I didnt want to start a generation war, Every Corvette out there is an incredible car, because it is a corvette...

Obviously we will double check numbers on everything, but anything from the pictures grossly stand out as misleading to you owners..

I obviously dont have one so I cannot refer to my garage for any answer to help him out. He knows a little about them but I figured I would go to the ultimate database of corvette knowledge..

Thanks everyone..
Old 10-11-2006, 04:50 PM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, having wanted a C1 61-62 vintage (which is what you are buying, not a C2) for years and finally getting mine last year, I'd agree with all the replies you've gotten except the one knocking the handling, braking, etc.
You do need to prepare yourself and brother-in law for a different driving experience in a 62 compared to modern technology. Driving with manual brakes and no power steering is a bit like driving a bus compared to modern day cars. It surprised me, but if you love the nostalgia of the C1 era of cars the old-school driving characteristics are worth it. I love having people stop me at gas stations, restaraunts and wherever I take the car out to talk about it and their fond memories of cars like these. That makes the driving experiences great.
The car looks decent enough to have some things to work on and still enjoy as a driver. Hope he likes it as much as I've enjoyed mine.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Jstockton
Pro

Sorry on the C2 quote, I edited my original post.. oppps!!
Old 10-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Just a few things I see with a quick glance.

Wrong air cleaner assembly.
Wrong distributor NO vac advance on a 340 car.
Wrong oil cap and fill tube.
Chrome dipstick
Later carb with electric choke
Wrong cap on the expansion tank.

Nothing a couple thousand can't fix.

Looks like some kind of coolant leak around the thermostat housing. Could be simple, could mean having to replace a corroded $700 '62 397 intake.

I can't put my finger on it but something doesn't look right on the intake.
make sure the last three numbers are 397.

If he's gonna invest $40k I would suggest he take someone knowledgable with him to check it out. Would you invest $40k in the stock market in something you know nothing about with a stranger from ebay ?

Last edited by Plastic Pig; 10-11-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 Vette - Advice

Old 10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
61iwon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, they don't drive like modern machines. But they have their own style and feel. I put some new low profile tires and wheels (17") on my ''61 this summer. That made a huge difference in the feel of the car. Handles much better!!!
If you look under the dash of mine you will see it has been seriously bubbafied. Most of them are that way if they have not been restored. These cars were cheap in the 70's & 80's. They were worked on at home back then.

Of the total made, how many of them got wrapped around a tree or went into the ditch etc.... who know how many are left.

It looks like you have yourself a pretty original machine. I live in Lincoln, so you will probably be passing through on your way to Valley.
Corvette club has a meeting tonight at AAA, 29 & O.

Enjoy the car, there were only 14,531 '62's made according to the black book and only 4,412 of those were 327/340. You will have time to make it what you want over the next few years.

Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jstockton, I hope you enjoy the 62!!!! I absolutely love both of mine and the 62 is my favorite. It may not stop or turn with modern day technology, but the thumbs-up and smiles I get are worth more than any current car could give me! (with the possible exception of a new Z06, he, he).

You just have to remember to give yourself some extra stopping distance and turning radius. Also, it's good to learn to hum if your Wonderbar is toast, as mine are!! The sweet sound of the off-road mufflers is music to my ears, however.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
!
WOW, I guess I never noticed that the 62 was way ahead on technology with its 1951 Brakes!!! LOL, and those king pins!!! Wonderful, and that Worm and roller, pure GMC truck!!!

I love my 61 nothing else like it, compare to the jaguar of the same year, rack and pinion, IRS, lightweight.

I did say go for it, you wont regret it driving an anacronism.

Solid axles forever!!!

Quick Reply: 1962 Vette - Advice