C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:17 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Headlight motor

This morning I was planning to drive my 63 to work, but when I tried to raise the headlights, the passenger side opened, but the drivers side didn't open at all. (I drove my truck to work instead) When I got home, I tried it again (temp had increased by 20 degrees), and it opened (very slowly). What do you guy think I should try first? I have read through all of the posts I could find by doing a search, but didn't find quite the same problem. Is there something that can be oiled without removing the motor, etc....?

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

If your motors haven't been serviced in a while, I'd go ahead and do it (you've probably got some really old grease in there). Barry has hosted an article on doing it. It's not that bad of a job.

http://69.253.166.197/page1/page65/f...%20Rebuild.pdf
Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Tossin,

Those are good instructions with great pictures. If I have to remove the motors I will, I was just hoping there was something easier to try first.

Thanks for providing the article.

Dave
Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree. When I got my 65 the headlights wouldn't open or close. After pulling the motors apart and replacing the old, stiff grease they work great. I suspect the contacts on your electrical bits are worn/dirty enough to not be able to overcome the torque required to work against old, stiff, cold grease.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Also, if you end up taking the motors out, please make sure you soak the bolts that hold the motors in for a while (in an anti-seize spray or something else to help loosen them up). Don't ask why I know this.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Once you pull the motors, also make sure your buckets move freely over their entire range of motion; it's tough for the motors to overcome stiff pivot shaft bushings.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:03 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the input, and the good instructions. I will try to save this for one of the winter projects - would like to get some more drive time in before bad weather hits.

Is there some recommended parts I should order in advance, or is it just a mater of cleaning and lubricating?

Thanks again

Dave
Old 10-14-2006, 02:10 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Hmmmm. My rebuild was a simple disassemble, clean, regrease, assemble affair.

Took several hours for the whole job
Old 10-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

Yes if all you have to do is rebuild the motors. The problem that most have are as John mentioned that the pivot shaft ***** are frozen. I would highly recommend that when ever you have the motors out to rotate the buckets. To see how freely they move if the do not rotate around under their own weight and require any force then rebuild the pivot shafts. The new nylon ***** are all the rage as you will never have to worry about them freezing/rusting to the housings. Just my .02.. Dave
Old 10-14-2006, 09:27 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for all the good tips. I just need to dig in and do it. With the AC condenser and the Electric fans, the space is pretty tight. May have to take the fans out to get some room. Any other ideas? (remove grill, from below, etc...)

Dave
Old 10-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 63C2splitter
Thanks for all the good tips. I just need to dig in and do it. With the AC condenser and the Electric fans, the space is pretty tight. May have to take the fans out to get some room. Any other ideas? (remove grill, from below, etc...)

Dave
I personally don't even remove the hood but I'm still flexible and don't have a lot of back issues. Put a mirror on the top edge of the grill and tape it to the radiator. There will be plento room even with the fans and condensor. I would not bother with the grill as the other part of that is you have to remove the bumpers . Put a bolt thru the hood support and undo the 5/16th bolt that holds one side of the motor and pull the electrical connector plug and then the clip that holds the motor and you are home free. Have a helper remove the bolt form the hood support and lift up the hood all the way. This gives you enough room to pull the motor out between the hood and the front clip. Dave
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Don SSDD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlights will also operate slowly if they are not getting full power, ie. your battery is low. Worth considering before you start tearing things apart, but if the car was running when you tried to move the lights, its likely the old grease and or worn cogs inside the motor.

If you want to use the lights before fixing them, have someone gently push them open while operating the motors.

Don
Old 11-04-2006, 04:01 PM
SVXr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um...I get a "site not found" when I click on the link in post 2. Can anyone direct me to the site?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by SVXr
Um...I get a "site not found" when I click on the link in post 2. Can anyone direct me to the site?
Go to http://69.253.166.197/corvettes/vettetech.html, you'lll get the entire list of tech articles Barry has listed.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight motor

Quick Reply: Headlight motor