C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

License plate find

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default License plate find

I came across a cool North Carolina license plate a few weeks ago. It was in pretty good shape only needing paint and it's a four digit plate. The only thing is that it is a 62 plate but I had plans for that. The digits of the plate are BB-66. Well my car isn't a BB but the BB hood is going on very shortly and trust me I can run with most BB with the SB under the hood.

It took a few tries to get the paint color right but I think I've nailed it today. Here are a few pics..

Old 10-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great.

In the UK, a plate with such telegraphic communication of a relevant message would command big bucks!
Old 10-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's illegal here in New Jersey to repaint license plates. What about North Carolina?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
It's illegal here in New Jersey to repaint license plates. What about North Carolina?
Not as far as I know. It's not like it's registered to the car either. In NC you can run YOM (Year Of Manufacture) plates as long as you can produce your valid current registration and plate. I ran 1966 VA plates for a couple of years and this year I have run a multitude of NC plates. Some of those plates were original never issued plates and then others were like the one listed above. I've even seen hot rod guys paint their current plates to match or contrast their body color. I like that I have the freedom down here. I'm a bit of a rebel though and in this situation they'd just have to ticket me.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:51 PM
TEP061
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats it im calling the license plate police.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 PM
L79vette66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you paint the letters and numbers on your plate? I need to restore a Lic. plate for my car.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Last year Pennsylvania changed their Antique Plates from purple with white #'s to a plate that looks like tha annual plate, except there's an [B]ugly[B] red early-30's roadster to the left of the #'s. One of my Cruise buds is a body/paint guy; one of his "rides" is a '51 Ford. He painted a '51 Ford - same color & body style as his - atop the space that the roadster had occupied!

Cruz
Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruzmeisters
Last year Pennsylvania changed their Antique Plates from purple with white #'s to a plate that looks like tha annual plate, except there's an [B]ugly[B] red early-30's roadster to the left of the #'s.
We moved here in late 2004 and I checked out the various options on which way to get the Vette registered. Having come from Florida which doesn't have annual inspections, I was really turned off by the prospect of getting the '64 inspected annually with the relatively low mileage it'll be driven while we're here.

I figured that purple Antique tag would look like crap on the Daytona Blue Coupe, but Antique registration seemed like the most practical option available. I was really surprised, and pleased, when my new-style tag came in the mail. It's a low number, as well as looking like a regular tag.

I've also seen at least one tag with another car superimposed on top of that old Dodge, or whatever it is. I think they used a peel-off decal.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car, from N.C. has a black/yellow tag on the front. It looks cool, but the black has flaked off in places. I need to repaint it. We can also run old tags here in GA. They were white/blue in 1965. I saw some cool ones at the antique show this w/e. One was from 1944 and another from a House of Representatives member, Ohio, 1966. She wasn't a tag dealer. She just found them in a box in an old bldg. Wish I had bought the 1944 - $15.00.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The year 1967 was the 100th birthday of Canada. We have a year-of-manufacture licence program in this Province. But the plates cannot be re-painted.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re paint tags

Originally Posted by L79vette66
How did you paint the letters and numbers on your plate? I need to restore a Lic. plate for my car.

I restored a set of Virginia plates for my '56. They had never been on car but had rusted in a number of spots. I bead blasted the plated, powder coated them balck and there had the white numbers painted in my a local sign painter. They look like new and I don't anyone could tell they've been redone.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
blitz10
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have original TX plates on my 67. I have painted/ redone plates on my 27 T and Dad's 28 A. The color must be the same as issued, they have a picture chart to compare the year to. They never questioned my paint job on the 27 and 28, but didn't like the 67. I said heck, these plates are brand new, can't get any better. The counter person OK'ed them.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got original 64 Utah plates that are OK as long as you have a pair. I do know that some states will not allow repaint becasue they use reflective material in the paint and repaints rarely include that.... (ask me how I know this one..... Case closed is what the NJ judge said and told me to pay the court 100 bucks plus court costs.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Reconditioning / painting old plates (for registration on a vehicle over 35 years old) is allowed in my state. You can even have them painted in a color other than original with the State's prior approval of the color (to match your car color). I have a reconditioned 63 plate on my 63 Impala SS.

Dave
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 57 has the 1957 FL plate that licensed this car when it was new - a gift from the original owner's widow when I bought it in 1991. (Not the best picture but it's what I have now...) In FL the plate has to be "authenticated" (some bureaucrat has to look at it to see it has not been modified) and then it can be registered as a vanity plate. I've seen quite a few street rods that had their plate "authenticated," returned and registered, then they restored it anyway!

I found this plate at a swap meet years ago; this is an original unrestored plate (still with the reflective white paint):

A friend found a buyer for my 56 Corvette and all he wanted for his "comission" was this plate. It now resides on his 67 L88.

I've been looking for years for another same number as the year plate - to no avail!

Get notified of new replies

To License plate find

Quick Reply: License plate find