C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

knock-off wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 03:04 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,137 Likes on 556 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default knock-off wheels

A friend of mine lost a wheel the other day and did alot of damage.
I remember reading a post about the correct way to install and tighten the knock-off. Does anybody remember it? I tried the archives, but to no avail.
Old 09-19-2001, 03:59 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: knock-off wheels (plaidside)

Use a lead hammer and knock $^^%& out of them. Continue to do so every time you drive it, untill the spinner will not move any more. Then replace the locking pins if equipped, or if not make a small mark so you can see if it has moved.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:14 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: knock-off wheels (plaidside)

The sweep of the spinners go backwards, the only example that comes to mind is that of a boat propeller. Props have the same type of sweep and go with the sweep or angle of the blade for fwd motion. Think of it in reverse mode. That's how they go on knock-offs (so they spin against the fwd motion of the wheels. Prolly confused ya on that one.... :crazy: :yesnod:
Old 09-28-2001, 11:52 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Re: knock-off wheels (MasterDave)

MasterDave: Do you mean that the right-hand thread spinners go on the drivers side and the left-hand thread spinners go on the passenger's side?
Tom
Old 09-29-2001, 03:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Default Re: knock-off wheels (kellsdad)

Yes - right-hand thread on driver's side, left-hand thread on the passenger side. Use a little anti-seize on the spinners (reduces thread friction, increasing clamping force), and whack Hell out of them 7 or 8 times to get them tight. This will destroy the OEM lead hammer in short order - better choice is a 3# or 4# plastic-coated shot-filled dead-blow hammer - Harbor Freight has them for less than $15.00, also protects the spinner finish. This was my recipe for years for the Halibrand knock-offs on my tube-frame Grand Sport; I also safety-wired one ear on each spinner to a wheel spoke with slack in the safety-wire for quick visual checks, but never had one loosen up - you can accomplish the same thing with a little grease-pencil mark.

Get notified of new replies

To knock-off wheels

Quick Reply: knock-off wheels