C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Kemco octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:51 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Default Kemco octane booster

What do you guys think about this advertisement from Kemco Products website:

"OCTANE BOOSTER
Kemco's original Octane Supreme 130 octane booster is formulated for Muscle Cars, Vintage Vehicles, Boats, and many others. Made with REAL Tetraethyl Lead to lubricate valve train and raises octane from 2-16 full points. Example 91 octane into a 107.
View Products"

I finally learned that when these octane booster firms talk about raising octane a point - typically a point equals 1/10 of one octane number (93 + 1 point = 93.1 octane.) These guys are advertising one point as one full octane number. I've read about this stuff in Corvette Fever tech features and have been trying it out. Can't say I've reached any conclusion on how it's working yet.

Dan
Old 11-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I've purchased from Jack Podell and WildBill (both advertise in the NCRS Driveline) and both products definitely improve how my 427s (and LT-1) run. When I first purchased my L72, the car had hi-test pump gas and desieled when shut off. As soon as I fillled up (10 gallons) with 1 quart of lead additive, the car ran much smoother and did not desiel on shut off. Of course, the real test is to run the car harder (than I do) and you should see noticable performance improvement. I've used these products for 20 years, and when I have pushed the cars, they respond without knocking etc. I try to keep the timing set a factory. The cars should run cooler also but I have not kept a close eye on that. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
What do you guys think about this advertisement from Kemco Products website:

"OCTANE BOOSTER
Kemco's original Octane Supreme 130 octane booster is formulated for Muscle Cars, Vintage Vehicles, Boats, and many others. Made with REAL Tetraethyl Lead to lubricate valve train and raises octane from 2-16 full points. Example 91 octane into a 107.
View Products"

I finally learned that when these octane booster firms talk about raising octane a point - typically a point equals 1/10 of one octane number (93 + 1 point = 93.1 octane.) These guys are advertising one point as one full octane number. I've read about this stuff in Corvette Fever tech features and have been trying it out. Can't say I've reached any conclusion on how it's working yet.

Dan
I use it and feel it works ok. I have no idea how much it is raising my octane, since once you get to that magical number your engine needs, additional octane ceases to further improve performance. I put 1/2 qt in with 10 gals of 93 and am guessing I am at around 95 or 96 octane. Regardless, I have had no detonation or dieseling whatsoever and that has been the goal.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:04 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad to hear the positive reports. I don't typically run my Corvette hard enough either to know if it's helping, but I put a half quart in with 12 gallons. The big cam bleeds off enough compression that it has not seemed real sensitive to octane anyway. But, my stock 67 440 GTX typically pings on 93 octane and it seems to have cured it so far. This stuff is expensive unless you order it by the case and I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a case or not.

Thanks

Dan
Old 11-19-2006, 09:15 PM
70GHH
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I have tried Jack Podell's tetraethyl lead and don't think it made an appreciable difference.

If you are going to spend the time and effort on fuel additives I would suggest finding a local racing fuel dealer and buy the largest quantity you can handle (5 or 55 gallons) and use that as a mix with pump fuel.

I've talked to a engine builder, he says he's never seen non-hardend valves adversely affected by unleaded fuel.

If you need higher octane, get higher octane fuel and mix it with pump gas.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 70GHH
I have tried Jack Podell's tetraethyl lead and don't think it made an appreciable difference.

If you are going to spend the time and effort on fuel additives I would suggest finding a local racing fuel dealer and buy the largest quantity you can handle (5 or 55 gallons) and use that as a mix with pump fuel.

I've talked to a engine builder, he says he's never seen non-hardend valves adversely affected by unleaded fuel.

That was my first plan but I hate the thought of having to pour 4 or 5 gallons in by hand over the top of my still pristine 12 year old lacquer paint job. Guess I need to look around for a small transfer pump.

Dan
Old 11-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Colovette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GHH

I tried the lead additive years ago in my '67 427/390 and my '66 396/325 SS Chevelle, but found it seemed to foul the plugs. I now mix low lead racing fuel with unleaded fuel and have been very please at each car's performance. You may have to try both avenues to see which method works the best for you and your car(s).

Likewise, I have been told by my muscle car associates that they have seen no damage to non-hardened valves/seats as a consequence of unleaded fuel usage.

If you do use unleaded fuel exclusively, try adding one quart of diesel (more or less) to a full tank of fuel. This helps mitigate the excessive fuel vaporization of unleaded fuel during the warm summer months at no risk of harm to your engine.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:49 PM
CapeCod67
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree on find some leaded gas...

We have one gas station within 50 miles that sells Sunoco CAM2 race fuel. It is 110 octane leaded. Problem is you cannot pump it directly into the car at the pump since it is marked "for off-road use only." It's worth the effort to get it into portable containers and then carefully into the car. You would not believe how clean the exhaust pipes stay. It also has a wonderful aroma. Personally, I'm glad we can still get the fuel that these high compression engines were built to use.

I mix the 110 fuel with 93 or 100 (also CAM2 Race fuel) octane unleaded. 1/3 110 and 2/3 unleaded. Try it, you'll like it.

Last edited by CapeCod67; 11-22-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

used the Jack Podell's tetraethyl lead in my 67/427/390HP and It worked . I have a 64/327/365HP now and it has hard seats Will the lead hurt in this car? I have a case left. I was told not to get the tetraethyl on you They say it is real bad stuff
Old 11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
dazvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also use Jack Podells' additive in a very high compression 406 and during the summer I need to use a whole quart with 93 octane with 12-14 gallons of fuel to keep it from pinging but it does seem to work. Been using if for years but think I'm ready to go with some AFR big chamber heads to get her down to around 10.5.

Get notified of new replies

To Kemco octane booster

Quick Reply: Kemco octane booster