C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

replace original 63 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 AM
buyingthingsnow12345
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replace original 63 transmission

Hey folks. Just want some of your thoughts. I have a nice 63 conv with original 340 motor. with your help on numbers, i find the tranny is from 64/65 muncie. The gears slip out when i get on it. I have a small chip out of the far end of the tailhousing but it seems to not drip much. I would like to either have the current tranny fixed up but also have a chance to put in a numbers matching BW T-10. I'm told the Muncie is a better tranny. So, should I invest $ and replace the tranny back to numbers correct and see what happens or stick a few bucks into my muncie and live with not having the correct tranny? Any ideas on BW vs Muncie? I still may have to fix the tailhousing in the near future. What yall think?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Venari
Instructor

TKO.

If the original is gone, and what you have as a replacement isn't working properly, then why not upgrade again?

Keisler / Classic Chevy 5-Speed... all the ads are on the left lf the forums menu in the icons.

I have a hybrid Muncie in my '62, and I'm keeping it because it's just been freshly rebuilt (before I got it.) Since I have 3.08 gears, it makes first a bit tall (should be able to hit 65 in it) and if it begins to kill my clutch I'm going for that five-speed (after leaving my bank manager tied up in a dark room for a while...)

M.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:54 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Late 63 used a munice. The 5-speed can be a problem in addition to the cost. A lot of people are having vibration problems. Seems you can't get the correct u-joint angle.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

A "correct" 1963 T-10 (or 1963 Muncie) has a smaller front bearing retainer, and will require a new bellhousing as well (casting #3788421) with the matching diameter hole. Unless the rest of the car is extremely original, I'd just have the existing Muncie rebuilt/repaired and enjoy the car.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:46 PM
buyingthingsnow12345
Intermediate

Default yeah

yeah JohnZ, the rest of the car is very original and with replacement parts OEM/GM correct. I didnt really think about the bellhousing having to be replaced with a "correct" BW T-10. Part of me says take out the problem 65 Muncie Trans and replace it with correct tranny since its gotta come out anyway. However, I might be back in the same position with gears slipping since this was a common problem with early T-10s. And, I just might not like the T-10 since they seemed to go away within the first several month of 63' production. I might be actually taking a step backward by putting in "correct" tranny. Cost too is an issue. The "correct" tranny will cost maybe $500.00 or more since they are just not around much. It does have some parts not correct including the fan, thermostat, fuel pump...that type of stuff. That is just a couple hundred dollars of things to make it "correct". Either way, I've got a cool car...don't we all!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To replace original 63 transmission

Quick Reply: replace original 63 transmission