C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Great Deal On Raytek I.R. Gun

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron;
Yours was exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to hear. I'm suspecting that the problem might be the sending unit. I'm also expecting that it might be easier to add resistors in the line to adjust the gage reading down. I looked at the vette tech line and there is a good article that explains the resistors, but I'm not sure how to figure out what exact part I need at this point and - once I do - where I can buy the resistor.

Thanks for your feedback
Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Resistors

Originally Posted by sixt1vette
Ron;
Yours was exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to hear. I'm suspecting that the problem might be the sending unit. I'm also expecting that it might be easier to add resistors in the line to adjust the gage reading down. I looked at the vette tech line and there is a good article that explains the resistors, but I'm not sure how to figure out what exact part I need at this point and - once I do - where I can buy the resistor.

Thanks for your feedback
================================
You can buy the resistors at any Radio Shack store, but be aware that when you calibrate it so the dash gauge reads correctly at say 160 degrees, it will be off at other temps--how much, or what range of temps, I do not know. I'm sure that many people here have recalibrated their sending units with resistors and can help you. You just have to dig them out of the woodwork !!!

RON
Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM
fuelie65
Instructor

I used one that I borrowed last week when I thought I had an overheat issue and it turned out to be the new sender that I just put in...works great..

I just ordered one from e-bay too

You can check your kids temperature too when they don't fell well
Old 01-28-2007, 07:13 PM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
================================
You can buy the resistors at any Radio Shack store, but be aware that when you calibrate it so the dash gauge reads correctly at say 160 degrees, it will be off at other temps--how much, or what range of temps, I do not know. I'm sure that many people here have recalibrated their sending units with resistors and can help you. You just have to dig them out of the woodwork !!!

RON

Adding an inline resistor to bias the sensor value so that the guage reads more accurately does work however, remember that the sensor change of resistance with temperature is not linear. Therefore use a resistor that biases the sensor at normal operating temperature. The guage will read incorrectly below and above that value.

I usually run the vehicle up to operating temperature. Use the digital IR gun to get the highest temperature reading nearest the thermostat housing. Shoot the housing itself, the hose, the intake.

I then install a potentiometer in series with the sensor wire and adjust the potentiometer until the guage reads approximately the same value as the IR gun. I then remove the potentiometer from the circuit and read it's value with a good quality digital VOM. Find the closest resistor to this value and add it in series with the sensor wire.

You can usually hide the resistor in the sheathing so that it is undetectable but accessible if need be.

Last edited by SolidAxle; 01-29-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:56 AM
dazvet
Racer

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered mine off ebay, now will be able to confirm if my resister equipped heat gauge is correct. Gotta love CF.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default temp. sender

Bought a new sender, of course it was way off, bought a variable resistor from Corvette Central P/N 301290, installed it in back of the guage , brought the engine up to temp. ,dialed the guage in with the heat gun, alls well, end of story.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I've had one for years...couldn't live without one.

Just ordered another...too good a deal, didn't even scroll down. Ordered it on the spot and paid $12 more than I would had I scrolled down a little farther..

" Argggh me hearties...!" I hate it when that happens...Ha!

No matter...still a good deal...invaluable tool, I even check my grease at our annual fish fry with one. Once you've had one you'll find a lot of things to use it for that never occurred to you before you had one..

...Stan M
Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm not believing this...The temp gun I ordered yesterday and posted about, arrived today at noon...

....all I can say is WOW! it must have already been half way here when I ordered it..heh heh!

...Stan

Quick Reply: Great Deal On Raytek I.R. Gun