C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Collector car license plates nice deal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:20 AM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Collector car license plates nice deal

When I licensed my 58 here in Nebraska, I was able to use an original Nebraska 1958 plate and license the car under that plate. It is a great deal because it cost $88.00 and you don't have to pay for taxes or licensing again as long as you own the car. No yearly registration costs at all.
Does any other states have this?

Bill

I also found this cool 1958 plate at a swap meet, it was mint.

Last edited by win1876; 12-23-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:10 AM
misshaley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indiana's law goes live Jan 1, 2008... not that I'm counting, and the plate has to be the same year as the car.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Michigan has had it for a few years, it adds a nice touch to the car.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:25 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
And for only $35, "non expiring".
Old 12-23-2006, 12:41 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Texas has it. Registration is good for 5 years, no inspection required. The use of the car is technically limited but I see many cars with the old plates being used as daily driver's.

I think it's about $35 per car for a 5 year registration, I can't remember for sure - it's been a few years since I had to pay my fees for my cars.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Ohio does the same
Old 12-23-2006, 01:32 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
And for only $35, "non expiring".
Thanks for reminding me for how little I paid.. Great deal.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Dick Horzen
Pro

I'll check with the DMV in California. Should be interesting to see if they have anything similar. Have to be afte the holidays.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts

Default License Plates

Georgia allows you to display plates the same year as the car for 1970 and older, however you have to renew the current plate each year and keep it in the car along with a affidavit from the DMV office.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 PM
1963 Sting Ray
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327

Unfortunately, for those of us in MI that have daily drivers, we are SOL. Original plates or historic vehicle plates can only be registered to "collector" vehicles, which they define as vehicles that are used for parades, car shows, club activities, etc.

I have a real sweet (and rare I think) white on green actual '63 plate too. Most MI '63 plates used a '62 green on white, with a kind of hideous white on green metal "tab" you have to attach to the corner.

At least in MI we only need a rear plate, so I can at least display the original plate year on the front of my vehicle.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:48 PM
TEP061
Pro

In Minnesota its 90$ same deal
Old 12-24-2006, 08:02 AM
rahzip
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Here is Missouri's

To qualify for historic license plates, a vehicle must be 25 years old or older, owned solely as a collector’s item, and used for exhibition and educational purposes.

Historic vehicles may be driven to and from events and to repair facilities within a 100 mile limit, and may be driven up to 1000 miles per year for personal use. The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Historic license plates are a permanent registration and cannot be transferred. If you sell or dispose of the vehicle, you must return the plates to the Missouri Department of Revenue.

Here is the year of manufacture plate rules.

Antique Historic License Plates
The owner of any historic vehicle possessing a license plate issued by the state of Missouri that is over 25 years old in which the year of issuance of such plate is consistent with the model year of the vehicle may register such plate as a historic vehicle plate as set forth in section 301.13,Revised Statutes of Missouri, provided the plate configuration does not conflict with the current numbering system. If you are in possession of a plate that is consistent with the model year of the vehicle, please submit a picture of the plate with the application and requirements one through five above (the $25.25 registration fee is a one-time fee for antique historic license plates).
Old 12-24-2006, 08:34 AM
sodfather
Intermediate

In Wa. state When I did my 29 model a sedan a few years ago it was I think $35 , then good forever . I think I will do the 58 also .
Old 12-24-2006, 08:51 AM
soppeng
Instructor

In North Carolina, if the car is at least 35 years old, you can run a year of manufacture plate. You must have a valid current license plate somewhere in the car, but it doesn't have to be displayed. The old plate does not have to be registered to the car. Inspection is also not required for a car 35 years or older.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:07 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI, Here is the deal on Michigan "same-year" (Authentic Plate) license plates from the Michigan Secretary of State. Just in case any of you guys want to, or should I say have to move to MI.

*Note that the plate is specified for "general use and is not restricted to driving to club functions, parades, and etc. So you can use them on you daily driver with no problem as long as it is 25 years old.

Michigan allows you to use a same-year general use* Michigan license plate to register an
antique vehicle. Reproduction plates are not allowed. The registration fee is $35. An authentic plate
registration processed after January 1, 1997, is valid until you sell, transfer, scrap, or modify the
vehicle.
Authentic license plates must be registered by mail, and are not handled by any Secretary
of State branch offi ces. To obtain a registration, send the following items to the address listed on the
application below:
(A) A photocopy of the license plate (passenger, commercial, or trailer) you plan to use (do not
mail the original plate). Personalized, governmental, law enforcement, manufacturer, dealer,
intransit repair, disability, and special purpose license plates cannot be used as authentic
license plates. If in doubt, check with the Department before purchasing a license plate.
(B) Proof of ownership, preferably a copy of the title.
(C) Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance.
(D) $35 fee (make checks payable to “State of Michigan”).
(E) The completed application located on the reverse side.
You will receive a new registration within two to three weeks.
From 1956 to 1988, historical vehicle plates were issued with no expiration date. All plates
issued before January 1, 1988, expired April 15, 1993. Historical vehicle and authentic plates
issued between January 1, 1988, and January 1, 1997, expire on April 15 the fififi fth year after
issuance or renewal.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Horzen
I'll check with the DMV in California. Should be interesting to see if they have anything similar. Have to be afte the holidays.
Dick,

Post or PM me when you find out.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:45 AM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California

In Utah we can use any year plate as long as there is a matching pair and the number is not currently registered by anyone else. Adds a kewl touch to my 64.

Last edited by richbopp; 12-24-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Collector car license plates nice deal

Old 12-24-2006, 12:03 PM
1963 Sting Ray
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
*Note that the plate is specified for "general use and is not restricted to driving to club functions, parades, and etc. So you can use them on you daily driver with no problem as long as it is 25 years old.
I was referring to the first part of the Michigan Secretary of State application form at

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hplate_16252_7.pdf

that says:

Many antique cars, trucks, and motorcycles qualify for special registration as Michigan historical vehicles. A qualifying vehicle may be registered with the Michigan Secretary of State either with a Michigan historical vehicle plate, or an actual Michigan license plate of the same year the vehicle was manufactured.

A Historical vehicle must be:
• 26 or more model years old.
• Owned solely as a collector’s item
• Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows.

Note: A designated historical vehicle cannot be used for routine transportation.

End quote.

That's what it says on the first part of the application form.

Later on the form discusses "general use" for "authentic license plate" mentioned. But I do not see where it says that "general use" means "not restricted to driving to club functions, parades, and etc."

I'd love to be able to do this, but I'm not seeing anywhere where it says general use means I can do this.

Am I missing something here?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Default I know the "Kalifornia" answer..........unfortunately!

Been there; done that!

The short answer is that here in the great bureaucratic republic of Kalifornia you can only get the DMV to register a car with old plates if you can prove those exact plates and associated plate number were actually previously registered to that car at some prior time. That is true even if the plate # is not currently being used by any other vehicle - which can easily be determined by a search on the DMV web site for personalized plates.

I've been through this twice, with mixed results. On my '67 vette I had let it sit for 5 years unregistered due to some personal situation issues, so it fell out of the DMV computer data base. When I went to register it again I had to show them that the original plates (which were still on the car!) had actually been there all along! Otherwise they were going to insist on giving me new plates. I finally appealed to DMV headquarters in Sacramento by showing them a copy of the old registration papers from before I had let it lapse.

On the not so good news side, I bought a '67 Mustang GT in New Mexico about 3 years ago from the 2nd owner. It is an original California car from right here in the San Jose area, taken to New Mexico in 1968 by the original owner. Still had kept the original California plates (with the 1968 sticker!) and passed them on to the 2nd owner and then to me. When I brought it back here - after a GREAT drive along old Route 66) I tried to register it here with those original plates. No deal, because I couldn't prove that they were originally on that car as I didn't have any of the old California registration documents. Even the appeal to DMV headquarters failed. So, now I have new plates for the street, but swap on the old ones for shows - takes about 5 minutes.

Registration fees here are based on sales price and then slowly depreciated over time, so be careful what you report on that DMV form....... doesn't matter if it's an old used car, just how much it sold for. Minimun registration is about $50.00 per year, regardless of aything else. At least pre '75s are smog exempt, although some of the green ***** are trying to change that!

So, the weather here is great, but other aspects stink - and , by the way, I work in Government!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 12-24-2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 12-24-2006, 01:57 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

here in Maryland you pay $10.00 for same year of issue plate registration; must carry "historic plates in the car" that you pay registration for every two years that are around $100

Quick Reply: Collector car license plates nice deal