C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Powdercoating Booth

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Mikey65
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Powdercoating Booth

Here it is about 90% done. More expensive and more time than I thought, but it should work well I think. I still have a little wiring to do, ducts to make for the fans, more linolium to lay, and need to seal the gaps and seams. After that make some sort of base for it.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Dick Horzen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking booth...hope it works as good as it looks when you finish.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:46 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

What type of oven are you going to use?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:16 AM
KyleDallas
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've thought about building my own.... I wanted one big enough to put a pickup cab in (removed from frame)... I did a little research on low temperature powder coating as opposed to traditional (higher heat cured) powder coating.. it seemed the low temp powder coating could be done in a homemade oven.

I was a little concerned about achieving an even temperature throughout the oven.... top and bottom- as heat tends to rise, I was concerned about an oven of size being hotter at the top than at the bottom... and having that affect the paint quality...
I thought it might be best to locate the heat source at the bottom and perhaps have some sliding windows at the top of the oven that I could open partially to vent excess heat to equalize things..... I was hoping to use some accurate food grade temperature probes I could locate top, bottom, and middle to monitor the temps and check for temperature balance.... I was considering making mine about 8ft tall x 8ft wide x 6ft deep..
My oven idea was sprung from the thought of powdercoating an entire 57 Chevy pickup (in dissassembled form)... instead of using the
basecoat/clearcoat paint method.
I had hoped... after some practice/experimentation to know about
how far to slide the windows open to keep a good even temperature.
..... but I sold that 57 Chevy truck, and shelved my low temp powdercoat oven plans. Good luck with your oven... I'm certainly interested in how it works, and what problems, if any, you might encounter.

Get notified of new replies

To Powdercoating Booth

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Booth