C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Serious VIN problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't think the problem is that bad. Instead of trying to get the VIN to match the current title I would get the title corrected to match the VIN (change the S to a 9).

Safest to get an attorney to submit the request. Very easy to prove the 9 was clearly a manufacture mistake.

John
Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Finally found the pic I was looking for. These are the Address-O-Graph machines that were in the St Louis plant. One was for the VIN tag and the other for the trim tag. All of the characters for each tag would be entered from the keyboard so there was always a possibility of error. I see the same question was asked again over on that "other board" and answered incorrectly so feel free to copy/paste this pic and post it anywhere.

These machines stayed in the St Louis plant right through the end of production at that facility. I've heard that they were sold to someone but I don't know who.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:28 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
These machines stayed in the St Louis plant right through the end of production at that facility. I've heard that they were sold to someone but I don't know who.
Someone who is in the reproduction tag business.

P.S. Great picture of the actual machines.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Default So what kind of library do you have Mike?

I'm always being amazed but no longer surprised at the resources freely supplied by half of the membership on this forum. I hope the other half of us appreciate what we have.

Bud.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 PM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
I had the "S" and "5" problem on one. It took three returns before they finally got the title right. I even wrote "the letter S, not the number 5" on the side and drew an arrow to the VIN on the paperwork.

Of course, without the right VIN on paperwork, it held up the registration so I couldn't drive it.

On your problem with it being the tag, you might contact Chevy. However, it is doubtful they can/will do anything. Even if they do, I seriously doubt they can issue a VIN tag that looks anywhere at all like that one, so it would really stand out as different.

You do have a problem if you are crossing state lines in the sale. Many states want to physically check the VIN now. This can be a real problem because it won't match. Some states as soon as they see the VIN is messed up will rip the original VIN plate off and stick on a state-issued one, once they check the whole car history. So be careful on that, too.

In-state sales rarely check the VIN physically, so if you are only selling to someone local, you can probably get away with it but it really isn't the moral thing to do.

Consult an attorney. I bet this one would perk their ears, since I doubt they run into this in their careers.
I had the "S" to "5" problem on 2 of my cars. It is very common and most DMV or sheriff's dept. are already aware of this happening and have no problem fixing the title if the they can see the vin tag.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
BobzVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T5C2
On mine the title has a 5 in place of the S which I can see as a typo - the person registering the car could have mistaken the 5 for an S. I haven't fixed it yet but don't plan on selling the car anytime soon either.
That "5 for an S" must be a jersy thing That happen to me in NJ on a car once also. I guess I didn't paid enough taxes in NJ at the time for them to hire good help But now that the taxes are even higher I sure NJ government services are MUCH better
Old 01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally found the pic I was looking for. These are the Address-O-Graph machines that were in the St Louis plant. One was for the VIN tag and the other for the trim tag. All of the characters for each tag would be entered from the keyboard so there was always a possibility of error. I see the same question was asked again over on that "other board" and answered incorrectly so feel free to copy/paste this pic and post it anywhere.

Does anyone know if these machines used the "qwerty" keyboard?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:49 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by BobzVette
That "5 for an S" must be a jersy thing That happen to me in NJ on a car once also. I guess I didn't paid enough taxes in NJ at the time for them to hire good help But now that the taxes are even higher I sure NJ government services are MUCH better

Me too, S and 5 mix up on my 69. Oh yah, the services are much better now
Old 01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Rich,

Not sure what a "qwerty" keyboard is. I have a feeling I'm goint to learn though.

The original manuals are still available for these machines and I believe many of the parts for the old 6400 model are also available.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Rich,

Not sure what a "qwerty" keyboard is. I have a feeling I'm goint to learn though.

The original manuals are still available for these machines and I believe many of the parts for the old 6400 model are also available.
Name of the standard layout for a typical type writer or computer keyboard. So named because the top row of letter for the left hand are ordered "Q W E R T Y"
Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Ok, I get it. I should have seen the "QWERT" that's been right here in front of my face for the last decade. Anyway, yes, the keyboard layout is exactly the same as our computer keyboard.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some addressograph machines on Ebay right now. One looks like the picture posted above. Search addressograph not address-O-graph
Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Believe these models were called "Graphotype", made by the Addressograph corp? Think the old machine was a model 6300 and the new machine was 6400?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
TPD
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best way to tell if this vin is original?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:53 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TPD
Call a cop.

It is against Federal Law to mess with the VIN.

It would be strange to see a "fake" VIN tag. More likely to see a "fake" trim tag.
For that you need the "NCRS Authentication Library Volume 1 GM Issued 1963-67 Corvette Trim Tags"

Can be bought here. $50.00
http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/p...70219057.12165
Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Best thing to do is leave that damn vin alone. Buy the car and register it. No one will know and no one will care. It is obviously a factory mistake, leave it that way. If you go to the DMV and get Barny Fife, you are going to end up with a mess. The best you could get is a State Number and you dont want that. Its worse than the mistake.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 251 Likes on 174 Posts

I see the same question was asked again over on that "other board" and answered incorrectly so feel free to copy/paste this pic and post it anywhere.
I saw that. The information about the VINs had been posted once before over there. I guess he forgot.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 01-31-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: fix quote

Get notified of new replies

To Serious VIN problem.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 251 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Best thing to do is leave that damn vin alone. Buy the car and register it. No one will know and no one will care. It is obviously a factory mistake, leave it that way. If you go to the DMV and get Barny Fife, you are going to end up with a mess. The best you could get is a State Number and you dont want that. Its worse than the mistake.
That works fine until you hit a state where incoming cars have to have the VIN inspected.

If you don't in this case, and never plan on moving, then I agree, register it and don't worry. And take it to an NCRS judging event where you can get a few scratching their heads. I think the anamolies are the best part. This is where you learn about how things were really done, not how they were supposed to be done.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by TPD
A picture would help.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:30 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TPD
So I'm looking at a 65 Convert in my town that is for sale and I've ran into a very wierd situation.

The Vin tag says 19467591158XX clear as day but the Ohio title from 75 says 194675S1158XX

OK, it may be "clear as day" but it's not that hard to make the letter "S" look like the number NINE, simply by putting a little scratch at the top right part of the letter. My guess is that the original vin is correct and has been nicked and is being read incorrectly.

a picture would be nice.

Quick Reply: Serious VIN problem.