C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Verifying a 63 fuelie car

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:57 AM
63vettezo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Verifying a 63 fuelie car

I was reading a post about how to tell if a 57 was a fuelie or not and what i was wondering...Is there a way to verify that a 63 is a real fuelie or not? Just wondering. Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 AM
fuelie65
Instructor

I did some research on my 65 to verify...I am not an expert but one easy thing to look for is to check the inner fender wells where the side flags would go on a non fuelie and see if they were filled in at one point in its life. If "std" flags were originally on the car, not the fuel injection script that would be an easy tell-tale.

Also in 65 there is a purple wire for the injection unit that originates in the wiring harness...not sure if it's the same for 63

You can also look at the radiator core support, although it could have been changed at one time, look for obvious indications it may have been swapped out...
Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelie65
I did some research on my 65 to verify...I am not an expert but one easy thing to look for is to check the inner fender wells where the side flags would go on a non fuelie and see if they were filled in at one point in its life. If "std" flags were originally on the car, not the fuel injection script that would be an easy tell-tale.

Also in 65 there is a purple wire for the injection unit that originates in the wiring harness...not sure if it's the same for 63

You can also look at the radiator core support, although it could have been changed at one time, look for obvious indications it may have been swapped out...
1963's have the side flags and the Fuel Injection script. Early 1963 Fuelies do not have the purple wire. I think that the solenoid that required the wire first appeared in 1964.

Other than the 3 holes in the inner driver side fender well for the air cleaner and the hole in the radiator support and the emblems I can not recall anything else.

oWEN
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

That purple wire is on '63 carb cars. It's the starter circuit wire from the switch to the starter solenoid. There is a male/female hardshell connector taped inside the harness above the wiper motor. The fuel injection pigtail to operate the fuel enrichment solenoid was simply spliced in between the two existing hardshells but this jumper didn't appear until early in the '64 model run with the release of the 7380 FI unit.

Sorry to tell you this but a standard car can be converted to a complete FI car without being detectable. It's all bolt on and/or drilling holes.

If you like to use a remote starter button, that hardshell connection is a handy place to plug in a remote button.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-30-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
mattyg92
Racer

according to the previous owner, mine is suppose to be a real fuelie car, i cant prove it, but all the signs are there, and it looks like the rad support was never replaced.

i wish there was a more documented way of telling!!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
fuelie65
Instructor

I believe mine is a "real" fuel car too but who really knows !!
It is fun tracing history and checking numbers but after awhile we all forget what these cars are all about....fun
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

two other "tell tail signs" - 80lb oil pressure gauge; and the redline is different on the tach - different color and different RPMs
Old 01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
mattyg92
Racer

i do have the high redline tach, but my oil pressure guage only goes to 60lb.

i did look further into this, and i found a fuelie 63 on ebay for sale, i believe it is still on there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-...QQcmdZViewItem

and this vehicle, after looking at the pics, has the same oil pressure guage as mine, 60lbs

mine was built in april, maybe early cars had this pressure guage???? i dunno
Old 01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

There were four guage cluster assemblies in '63. 1st design and 2nd design which was the different color red line on the tach face and then there was the base/hp engine and SHP engine. All SHP used the same oil guage and red line as did the base engine and the HP.

I think the speed warning tach was part of the early assembly.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-30-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeM
There were four guage cluster assemblies is '63. 1st design and 2nd design which was the different color red line on the tach face and then there was the base/hp engine and SHP engine. All SHP used the same oil guage and red line as did the base engine and the HP.

I think the speed warning tach was part of the early assembly.

what is a speed warning tach? sorry im still learning!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure about the early 63s but the 64s had the close ratio trans with the 2:20 first gear. If your trans matches your Vin# check the rotation with the trans in first. I think the SP/HP 340 and 365 HP cars had the close ratio to. But this could be used to eliminate the possiblity.Also you could find a F.I. Expert to help you thats what I did. Good luck and I hope you have one.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
boulderkid
Instructor

Default '63 F.I. Confirmation

"There appears to be no correlation between engine horsepower and 60/80 lb. oil pressure gauges. 60 lb. pressure gauges are used on all 1963 cars until approximately VIN 16000, at which time the 80 lb. gauge begins to appear. Between VIN 16000 and the end of production, both 60 and 80 lb. gauges are acceptable." Per pg. 23 of the Fourth Edition, 1963-1964 Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide. Another verification detail on the '63 F.I. original radiator core support is the protruding reinforcement sections, approx. 2" wide, where the horns mount. As I understand it, these do not appear on replacement/repro. F.I. core supports, nor do the '64 supports have these reinforcements. If your core support has these reinforcements, that is another good indicator regarding your car's F.I. pedigree (reference pg. 109 of the Judging Guide).
Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyg92
according to the previous owner, mine is suppose to be a real fuelie car, i cant prove it, but all the signs are there, and it looks like the rad support was never replaced.

i wish there was a more documented way of telling!!
Hey, I have seen this car before. It was on ebay. The guy had a bunch of pictures but not of what was really needed to be seen.

Or are you the guy that was selling?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 PM
CorvetteTechInc
Instructor

Just to summarize, or add to the list:

-6500 Redline Tach. Early ones (not all and cutoff vin rangeS)
-80lbs Oil Pressure (Some early may have been 60's)
-Inner fender holes
-Radiator Support
-Emblems installed in a specific location
-Engine Code "RF"
-All FI Cars had a Posi of 3.36 or higher I believe)
-Obvious items such as exhaust manifolds and distributor
-6qt oil pan
-No Steering Damper

Each of the above items though can be created if someone wanted to.

If it's an original motor and never been out ofthe car there is ussually the "RF" code in white on the back of one of the cylinder heads. Also, later built cars had two head gaskets to reduce compression/detonation per a service bulletin.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
Hey, I have seen this car before. It was on ebay. The guy had a bunch of pictures but not of what was really needed to be seen.

Or are you the guy that was selling?

no i am the new owner!!! i am surprised at how many people were watching this car!

Last edited by mattyg92; 01-30-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The double head gasket on the SHP engines started with the 1962 model run. All of the listed rear axle ratios were availble with any engine. Nothing specific all the way to a 4.56. Most performance Vettes were probably special order and the 4 series gears more likely that not were ordered at the same time and more common among the solid lifter Vettes.

Last edited by Ironcross; 01-30-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by boulderkid
"There appears to be no correlation between engine horsepower and 60/80 lb. oil pressure gauges. 60 lb. pressure gauges are used on all 1963 cars until approximately VIN 16000, at which time the 80 lb. gauge begins to appear. Between VIN 16000 and the end of production, both 60 and 80 lb. gauges are acceptable." Per pg. 23 of the Fourth Edition, 1963-1964 Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide. Another verification detail on the '63 F.I. original radiator core support is the protruding reinforcement sections, approx. 2" wide, where the horns mount. As I understand it, these do not appear on replacement/repro. F.I. core supports, nor do the '64 supports have these reinforcements. If your core support has these reinforcements, that is another good indicator regarding your car's F.I. pedigree (reference pg. 109 of the Judging Guide).

As a running change during the '63 model yead, the SHP engines (340, 360) got a new oil pump part number that had a higher tension relief valve spring to raise engine oil pressure from around 40-45 to 55-60, hot and running. Therefore, the requirement for the gauge to reflect that higher pressure without pegging it on the SHP engines. That was the reason for the gauge change. It does not mean that some of the lower horse engines didn't randomly have it for some reason.

ALL the '63 radiator supports have the wide flat spot mentioned here. ALL engines. They also had a strap across the bottom of the round stock reinforcement X brace welded at the bottom of the support. I think the Coffman repop is now accurate. "64 and later do not have this wide surface.

Get notified of new replies

To Verifying a 63 fuelie car

Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteTechInc
Just to summarize, or add to the list:

-6500 Redline Tach. Early ones (not all and cutoff vin rangeS)
-80lbs Oil Pressure (Some early may have been 60's)
-Inner fender holes
-Radiator Support
-Emblems installed in a specific location
-Engine Code "RF"
-All FI Cars had a Posi of 3.36 or higher I believe)
-Obvious items such as exhaust manifolds and distributor
-6qt oil pan
-No Steering Damper

Each of the above items though can be created if someone wanted to.

If it's an original motor and never been out ofthe car there is ussually the "RF" code in white on the back of one of the cylinder heads. Also, later built cars had two head gaskets to reduce compression/detonation per a service bulletin.
Couple to add;
Finned Damper
Deep Groove Alt. Pulley
no power steering Aval.
Idler
Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Injected Stingray
Couple to add;
Finned Damper
Deep Groove Alt. Pulley
no power steering Aval.
Idler
I think almost all these features were common between the 340hp and 360hp models.

Did anyone mention the exhaust manifolds? They are different in that the passenger side does not have the choke hole drilled and the driver side has the choke hole but no accessory/alternator boss.

If I'm not mistaken, the water pump pulley, as well as the crankshaft pulley, are also unique to the 340/360 (SHP) motors.

--------
I did read somewhere once that the default axle ratio on FI cars was 3.70 to 1 unless otherwise specified. (I can't verify this though, it is only hearsay as far as I can tell)

The FI radiator support is difficult to find since it was only made that way for one year. All later replacements were the 64-67 style with the FI air inlet in order to allow one part to serve for all replacements.

Radiator supports were commonly lost to rust or collision damage and it's very hard to find an original. Mine has some small rust and I looked for 10 years before giving up on finding a replacement. I will just have to repair the rust and use what I've got.

Original Air Cleaners have become very scarce and insanely expensive. most were thrown away over the early years. Mine is missing.

There is a steel reproduction A-C available but I've never heard if it's any good or not.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seaside63
I think almost all these features were common between the 340hp and 360hp models.

Did anyone mention the exhaust manifolds? They are different in that the passenger side does not have the choke hole drilled and the driver side has the choke hole but no accessory/alternator boss.

If I'm not mistaken, the water pump pulley, as well as the crankshaft pulley, are also unique to the 340/360 (SHP) motors.

--------
I did read somewhere once that the default axle ratio on FI cars was 3.70 to 1 unless otherwise specified. (I can't verify this though, it is only hearsay as far as I can tell)

The FI radiator support is difficult to find since it was only made that way for one year. All later replacements were the 64-67 style with the FI air inlet in order to allow one part to serve for all replacements.

Radiator supports were commonly lost to rust or collision damage and it's very hard to find an original. Mine has some small rust and I looked for 10 years before giving up on finding a replacement. I will just have to repair the rust and use what I've got.

Original Air Cleaners have become very scarce and insanely expensive. most were thrown away over the early years. Mine is missing.

There is a steel reproduction A-C available but I've never heard if it's any good or not.
Yes your correct most of the 360 stuff was on the 340 but if seen in combination with the F.I. specific it's an indicator. Also Jack Podell makes a Repo Air Cleaner for $2300.00 I have not seen one so I can't say how accurate they are. Just saw a piece of crap A/C go for $3500.00 on ebay you can get them cheeper though. Makes me glad that I have all my correct parts except the right side manifold that you mentioned. I bought one on Ebay it was a repop sold to me as original.

Quick Reply: Verifying a 63 fuelie car