C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Isky Red Zone needle-less roller lifter, let me be the guinea pig

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Isky Red Zone needle-less roller lifter, let me be the guinea pig

I just order a set of these today for my 632. Here is a link to the details:http://www.iskycams.com/BearingFlyer.pdf

My plan last weekend was to examine the lifters, set the lash, and then make a few full-rpm blasts on the DynoJet in preparation for my nitrous install.

Well, I got as far as removing the lifters. I am using Crower Severe Duty with HIPPO. The actual roller on #4 was a little buggered up and so was the cam lobe. Nothing terrible. In fact, the lash was right on the money for that valve. Mike Lewis of Mike Lewis Racing referred to it as being "spalled". I did an internet search and sure enough that is what it appears to be. The interesting thing is that the needle bearings in ALL the lifters, including this one, are in excellent condition. As far as a reason, that is a great question. One possible explanation is a weakness in the heat treating of either the lifter or cam. Who knows.

The bottom line is I caught it before it did any damage to anything. I immediately pulled the cam from the motor. Let me tell you just how easy that was. I have a Jesel Belt Drive so all I had to do was remove the hood, radiator, vacuum pump, and water pump. The intake stayed on and so did the harmonic balancer! The thing that actually took the longest was carefully cutting the welds on the crossbracing for the core support in order to remove the cam from the motor.

My search for new components immediately began and who do you think is the first person I call? Of course it was Jim Moore (427Hotrod). I won't get into the reasons why I called Jim first because if any of you have been on this forum for any length of time, you will know. He immediately turned me on to the Isky Red Zones, explained why they were better than the Crower or Comp Cams, and told me to contact Mike Lewis for some more details. That is the condensed version - the phone call took over an hour.

I have also decided to run a different cam. I am going to try one of the off-the-shelf Comp Cams 4/7 swap cams. It is #11-750-14 w/ 277*/292*, .800"/.800", on a 114 lobe separation. With my rockers, this would equate to .847"/.824". This is smaller than what I currently am running but what the heck - it's off the shelf.

I have been anxious to try one of the 4/7 swap cams for some time and I finally have the opportunity. If everything goes according to plan (it seldom does), I will have everything by this weekend.

Oh, and one final thing, I am going to give Red Line 15w50 a try. I have been running Mobil 1 15w50 since I got this thing broken in (mid-2004). I have become concerned with the change in formulation that everyone over on bobistheoilguy.com is talking about. Because I run a dry sump, my system holds 14 qts. of oil.

Steve
Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will be watching...........
Old 02-06-2007, 07:56 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Tell me more about this belt drive that doesn't require balancer removal.

Doug
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Tell me more about this belt drive that doesn't require balancer removal.

Doug
Read all about it here. http://www.jeselonline.com/index.php?categoryid=68&
Old 02-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to your findings
Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

This should be an interesting trial. With any luck, they will be a non-issue.

AZDoug: I have been running Jesel timing belt setups for as long as they have been out. The icing on the cake is the easy cam swaps. The meat of the thing is being able to dial-in your cam on an engine dyno or chassis dyno very easily. On my 542 deal, I picked up over 20 hp that way.

Steve
Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hotrod TV just did a 4/7 swap in a 400 SBC and picked up 30-40 H/P with a cam that was the same specs. With your combination I'll bet you will pick up more than that even with the smaller grind.Sometime back I saw a advertisement that someone was coming out with a pinless roller for sever duty roller cams, I'll see If I can dig it up. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 632C2
This should be an interesting trial. With any luck, they will be a non-issue.

AZDoug: I have been running Jesel timing belt setups for as long as they have been out. The icing on the cake is the easy cam swaps. The meat of the thing is being able to dial-in your cam on an engine dyno or chassis dyno very easily. On my 542 deal, I picked up over 20 hp that way.

Steve
This looks like a wet belt drive, am I correct?

What is the belt change interval, in years or miles?

Looks like the blancer has to come off to change belts.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,362 Likes on 893 Posts

I think you will be pleased with the performance of the Isky bushing style roller lifter trunions.

Similar bushings have successfully replaced the needle bearings in axle & driveline u-joints for high load applications in off-road racing and competition rock-crawling/4x4-pulling. They have almost completely replaced needle bearings in competition steering axles, due to the bushings ability to keep the trunion and axle yokes in rigid alignment. The rigid alignment prevents radial spreading of the u-joint yoke, and the usual failure of the journal surfaces (impact spalling the surface of the trunion journal due to needle bearing missalignment under high torque loads). With a u-joint failure strength improvement of over 20% it's a worthwhile improvement in pulling competition, and the elimination of journal spalling improves reliability over a 1000-mile off-road race (it prevents trunion journal damage from cooking the u-joint, and having an eventual failure of the entire steering axle and knuckle, 50-miles from the nearest pavement).

There was considerable initial concern over the lack of trunion journal lubrication (it's a u-joint with only EP-moly grease), but continued street use by stubborn weekend enthusiasts have proven these fears invalid (by people who drive the off-road equivalent of a HPDE weekend twenty times a year, and 20,000 miles to work over the year).

Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Injected Stingray
Hotrod TV just did a 4/7 swap in a 400 SBC and picked up 30-40 H/P with a cam that was the same specs. With your combination I'll bet you will pick up more than that even with the smaller grind.Sometime back I saw a advertisement that someone was coming out with a pinless roller for sever duty roller cams, I'll see If I can dig it up. Good luck and keep us posted.
The 4/7 debate seems to be a good one. Some people say I will see nothing while some say I might see 10 hp or so. Now 30-40 hp would be nice but to really test it I would have to have the same cam without the 4/7 swap. I am interested in what you find on the pinless roller.

Originally Posted by AZDoug
This looks like a wet belt drive, am I correct?

What is the belt change interval, in years or miles?

Looks like the blancer has to come off to change belts.

Thanks,
Doug
This is a dry belt drive. I have heard the belt should be changed once a year if you are a serious racer. I ran the same belt on my last motor for 2 years of daily driving with no problems. I have never had to change a belt after everything was installed so I can't say either way. I just can't imagine the balancer would have to come off.

Steve

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
I think you will be pleased with the performance of the Isky bushing style roller lifter trunions.

Similar bushings have successfully replaced the needle bearings in axle & driveline u-joints for high load applications in off-road racing and competition rock-crawling/4x4-pulling. They have almost completely replaced needle bearings in competition steering axles, due to the bushings ability to keep the trunion and axle yokes in rigid alignment. The rigid alignment prevents radial spreading of the u-joint yoke, and the usual failure of the journal surfaces (impact spalling the surface of the trunion journal due to needle bearing missalignment under high torque loads). With a u-joint failure strength improvement of over 20% it's a worthwhile improvement in pulling competition, and the elimination of journal spalling improves reliability over a 1000-mile off-road race (it prevents trunion journal damage from cooking the u-joint, and having an eventual failure of the entire steering axle and knuckle, 50-miles from the nearest pavement).

There was considerable initial concern over the lack of trunion journal lubrication (it's a u-joint with only EP-moly grease), but continued street use by stubborn weekend enthusiasts have proven these fears invalid (by people who drive the off-road equivalent of a HPDE weekend twenty times a year, and 20,000 miles to work over the year).

This is really good information about the bushings. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Steve
Old 02-07-2007, 12:30 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

632C2,

I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but what is a 4/7 cam swap? Appreciate your explanation on this.

TIA,

Jim
Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
632C2,

I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but what is a 4/7 cam swap? Appreciate your explanation on this.

TIA,

Jim
It is a cam that allow the firing order on the motor to go from 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 to 1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2.

Here is a blurb from Comp Cams:http://www.compcams.com/information/...erChevCams.pdf

Steve
Old 02-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Pinless Roller Lifters

Steve I found the web site I think you will find it interesting.
http://schubeckracing.com/new2/index...position=73:18
Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Injected Stingray
Steve I found the web site I think you will find it interesting.
http://schubeckracing.com/new2/index...position=73:18
I have been aware of them for quite some time but have been hesistant to purchase them because of the internet chatter. The one thing I read about all the time is that they are unable to deliver for a variety of reasons. I wonder if anyone else has any feedback on them?

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Isky Red Zone needle-less roller lifter, let me be the guinea pig

Quick Reply: Isky Red Zone needle-less roller lifter, let me be the guinea pig