C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

S-10 or Bazer Frame for restoration Comments

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default S-10 or Bazer Frame for restoration Comments

I have been reading comments on the SR III frame and Paul Newman frame for restoration. Why not use a less expensive frame? Will a S-10 frame work with the C4 suspensions? If not, any other frames out there?
Thanks George
Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 PM
60vett
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably for the same reason you go to Al Knoch for a top and not Home depot and get a blue tarp. It was designed for it, it works, and its a corvette (translation: gonna cost anyway, so pony up). Ya gotta pay to play is what I have always heard. Besides, who wants to reinvent the wheel?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Sure, any frame will work with enough work. The S-10 frame can't just bolt up the C4 suspension, so there would be a lot of cutting fabrication and welding. If you are going to all this work, why not build an entire new chassis, instead of one from under a pickup truck. By the time you built a jig to weld the suspension points in the correct location under the S-10, you would probably have more in the chassis than you could buy a new SRIII chassis for, and it would still not be near as good.
Take a look at the pic below, and you will see the attention to engineering that goes into one of these frames. This ain't no pckup frame! There are a lot of kit cars these days that use a donor S-10 chassis, but this is a way to build a car cheap, not a way to build a car that will handle like a supercar.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/P0000974.JPG

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a Jeg's front clip and a Jeg's 4 link rear clip under my 59, connected by 2x3 square tubing. And it's going to be a LOT of work to finish. But it will fit 14 x 32 rear tires when I am done !!
Pops
Old 03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Sure, any frame will work with enough work. The S-10 frame can't just bolt up the C4 suspension, so there would be a lot of cutting fabrication and welding. If you are going to all this work, why not build an entire new chassis, instead of one from under a pickup truck. By the time you built a jig to weld the suspension points in the correct location under the S-10, you would probably have more in the chassis than you could buy a new SRIII chassis for, and it would still not be near as good.
Take a look at the pic below, and you will see the attention to engineering that goes into one of these frames. This ain't no pckup frame! There are a lot of kit cars these days that use a donor S-10 chassis, but this is a way to build a car cheap, not a way to build a car that will handle like a supercar.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/P0000974.JPG

Regards, John McGraw
Thanks for the answer. That was what I was looking for. George

Get notified of new replies

To S-10 or Bazer Frame for restoration Comments

Quick Reply: S-10 or Bazer Frame for restoration Comments