C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Remote Starter switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 08:10 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote Starter switch

I must be doing this wrong, it is a pain in butt to crawl under the car to hook up a remote starter switch so I can work under the hood. Do any of you have a better Idea.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:21 PM
Brian Matheis
Pro

Default Re: Remote Starter switch (propwash)

I've got an idea Prop, have your wife seat in the seat and hit the key!!!! Okay, just being a smart-***!!! I don't think there is a much easier way to hook-up a remote starter unless you mount some type of remote type terminal topside. Why are you needing a remote starter so often that it's a pain in the butt??? Adjusting valves a lot or what????

Good to talk to you again. Hope you and your car are well. Coming into the "winter tinkering season" again aren't we!!?? Brian
Old 10-16-2001, 09:31 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Remote Starter switch (Brian Matheis)

I mounted a spring loaded plunger type switch under the hood and hard wired it down to the starter. Just press till the valve or the distrib or whatever lines up then let go quick. If the ignition key is off the car cannot start but it CAN move if you left it in gear.
Old 10-17-2001, 02:11 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

Default Re: Remote Starter switch (propwash)

hey propwsash, we both have red 64 roadsters and we both hate to crawl under the car.
look at the wiring diagram and find the big red wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid; splice a pigtail into it and protect the bare end with a covered wire connector [the female type]. then, when you want to use the remote starter, take a one foot length of 12 gauge wire that is bare at one end and has the male connector on the other end. now, step one: push the male end of the one foot wire into the female of the pigtail. step two, connect one clip of the remote switch to the bare end of the one foot wire. step three: connect the other clip of the remote to the positive terminal of the battery. this should allow the remote switch to turn the starter from above. i cannot remember whether or not the key has to be turned on, but i think not.
if you want, i can mail a copy of the wiring diagram that shows this. finally, the pigtail is sitting there, well above the battery, near the firewall, dangling in space. not for a numbers matching pristine car, but it works great and it is safe.
werner :cheers:
Old 10-17-2001, 04:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Remote Starter switch (wernerreis)

That won't energize the starter - you have to put 12 volts on the purple wire that goes to the "S" terminal on the starter in order to energize it. You want to splice your 12 ga. length of wire into the purple wire from the ignition switch to the starter, not the red one; that will turn the starter when you connect the second clip from the button to the battery (+) terminal and push the button.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:04 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Remote Starter switch (JohnZ)

Wernerries Thanks for the reply I'll try it adding JohnZ's info
John
I should just get a hot line streight to your puter with a red light to flash when I need help ;) Thanks for all the good help :D
Brian
I have found myself twice adjusting the valves last month and I now want to test compression the car runs too well to believe the bleed down test that was done last june, I've been told its easy to screw up a bleed down and expecially if the injected air moves the engine at all.
I would just like a faster way to hook up the remote if possible.
Whats on the project list for this Winter? :cheers:
Old 10-19-2001, 12:22 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

Default Re: Remote Starter switch (JohnZ)

john is right. i wrote this post from the office. when i did it i used the wiring diagram and i cannot remember the color of the wire without looking at the car. still, my way works well and i suggest it, but as i said, look at the wiring diagram. basically, you are simply giving voltage to the solenoid by shunting past the ignition system. very simple. if it weren't, i couldn't have figured it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Remote Starter switch

Quick Reply: Remote Starter switch