C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Running rough!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running rough!

Ok, so I got the vette out tonight to give her a good cleaning, but she was running really rough. After washing it I decided to take a little spin around the block. However, as I proceeded down the road the idle and sound of the car really started sounding different. I decided to go back home and did not think I was going to make it. I noticed a light blue smoke coming not only from the exhaust but from underneath the car as if I had a major exhaust leak.

I know its hard to determine the cause over the net, but any ideas on where to start. I know the exhaust needs to be replaced for sure. Could that cause rough idles and hesitation?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Sounds like maybe you fouled a couple of plugs. Raw fuel in those cylinders will smoke and the sound of the engine will change. Maybe when you washed the car water got onto distributor or into the air cleaner? Did the car ever get up to operating temp? I would say start by taking plugs out and inspect. Good luck.

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by vettefred; 04-25-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Pull the distributor cap and make sure it's dry inside as well. It could also be a sinking carburetor float causing it to run too rich. With it idling, see if it's dumping gas into the engine.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Thanks for the tips. I sat around last night trying to think of what the issue might be and the distributor/timing thing kept coming to mind. i went out and checked the distributor and noticed that it is not tight and can be turned by hand.

I am getting ready to run through the tips you guys told me about and see if that could be the issue if not I might slightly move the distributor to see if that helps at all.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Originally Posted by vettefred
Sounds like maybe you fouled a couple of plugs. Raw fuel in those cylinders will smoke and the sound of the engine will change. Maybe when you washed the car water got onto distributor or into the air cleaner? Did the car ever get up to operating temp? I would say start by taking plugs out and inspect. Good luck.

Regards,

Fred

Pulled the plugs, they were a little black but nothing that would lead me to believe that they are fouled. I cleaned them with a soft wire brush rechecked the gap (35*) and put them back in. As far as getting up to operating temp, I'm not sure that it had time to get that warm as we started it up, worked our way out of the drive and went about a qtr of a mile and turned around and came home. distributor appeared dry.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Originally Posted by LB66383
Pull the distributor cap and make sure it's dry inside as well. It could also be a sinking carburetor float causing it to run too rich. With it idling, see if it's dumping gas into the engine.

I did not see any gas going into the carb at idle and it was a fight to get her to idle at all. Most of the time it would just die when I tried to operate the throttle from under the hood. Maybe I just need to get the carb rebuilt?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Convertible65
I did not see any gas going into the carb at idle and it was a fight to get her to idle at all. Most of the time it would just die when I tried to operate the throttle from under the hood. Maybe I just need to get the carb rebuilt?
See how it dos after you get the dwell and timing set properly. Most likely you'll find there is nothing wrong with the carb.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check all your vacuum lines for a leak and also check the PCV valve and make sure it is closed at idle.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

95% of all carb problems are actually ignition problems. As suggested, set the dwell and timing before wasting your time on all that other stuff.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If fuel isn't squirting into the engine when you operate the throttle (check it with the engine off) then your accelerator pump circuit is blocked. If your carb is a typical Holley, there's a needle valve in the throttle circuit that can get stuck. Guess how I learned about that?

Jeff
Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't be afraid to take the plastic handle end of a good size screw driver and tap the fuel bowl or bowls as may be the case. You could have a stuck float after a long winters sleep. Al W.

Last edited by 67vetteal; 04-26-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

. It happened to me last year.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
If fuel isn't squirting into the engine when you operate the throttle (check it with the engine off) then your accelerator pump circuit is blocked. If your carb is a typical Holley, there's a needle valve in the throttle circuit that can get stuck. Guess how I learned about that?

Jeff
OK Jeff, I'll guess how you learned about that!

Dave
Old 04-26-2007, 09:37 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
OK Jeff, I'll guess how you learned about that!

Dave
No fair, you already know the answer!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...6&postcount=10
Old 04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Convertible65
Thanks for the tips. I sat around last night trying to think of what the issue might be and the distributor/timing thing kept coming to mind. i went out and checked the distributor and noticed that it is not tight and can be turned by hand.

I am getting ready to run through the tips you guys told me about and see if that could be the issue if not I might slightly move the distributor to see if that helps at all.
You can't just "move the distributor" and accomplish anything; you need to set the dwell (with a dwell meter) and timing (with a timing light), in that order, then adjust the idle mixture screws and idle rpm. Do that before you do anything else.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My Holley acts up a couple of times a year. I pull out the primary and secondary needle valves, blow them out, reset the floats and it clears right out. Maybe you will get lucky and that's all it is. If it was running OK when you put it away I would suspect this.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Great stuff guys. Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting ready to head out on a little vacation, but I will use the advice here to hopefully rectify my issue when I get back.

Thanks Again!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Convertible65
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

Jeff

Alright, I finally had time to get back on this. My father-in-law came over this morning and we were going to set the dwell and timing, however we could not get the car to run. We noticed that the carb was not spitting any fuel at all. We pulled the carb and took the top plate off to find what looked like mud caked up all around the pump. We then shined a flash light into the gas tank and could see some residue laying in the bottom of the tank.

We are going to rebuild the carb and drop the tank and clean it and the fule lines. Hopefully this will cure my problem.

Thanks for the all the info and tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Running rough!

Quick Reply: Running rough!