C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Can the mechanically challanged play?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on how "mechanically challenged" you are.

Can you put a bicycle together? Does it work?

If you can't then stay away from older cars.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are in Lexington...come down to BG this week to this Forum Cruise In

forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694146

Hang out and talk to us...you will be hooked. If you could keep the Gunny happy with your cleaning of your weapon, you can esily maintain a C-2.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 PM
hpexpatriot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An observation.

Learning from a mentor requires finding the right mentor. Many people think they know how to work on these old cars and even on this board you can find answers that are all wet. The real trick, if learning from a mentor is the way you are going to go, is finding the right mentor. You will need someone you trust and someone who can convey his expertise to you in a way that you can understand it. The mentor role has an element of education. Clear ,understaneable complete information is a necessity. Subject matter expertise is only a part of the role. If your mentor knows the way to do the job but cannot get what is in his head into your head you are gonna be in trouble.

Another thing to consider. Much of the Corvette mecanical "suite" is just standard GM off the shelf parts. Exceptions include but are not limited to the rear end and the disc brakes and things like the headlight mechanisms which are unique to the Vette. Someone who knows his way around a Chevy engine or a 4 speed, or a Holley carb can be a better mentor for issues related to those "from the GM parts bin" parts than a dyed in the wool hands off type of Vette guy. I am talking here about reparis not about what VIN / Serial Number started use of such and such part, that stuff is best left to the NCRS guys and the hard core enthusiasts. Fixing a Holley is the same no matter what it is on a Nova, Chevelle, Impala or a Vette. Same goes for the vast majority of the engine parts and transmissions. Keep in mind GM did not invent the Vette from the ground up they used proven parts that were already in production wherever possible with few special parts that made the Vette special....things like the IRS or side pipes or chambered exhaust or whatever are indeed Vette specific. A lot of things that may need repairs that you might undertake as a novice like an alternator and a waterpump or a new fuel pump etc. etc. etc are genric in nature.

Last edited by hpexpatriot; 05-21-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have the time, patience, and inclination to learn?
If you do, have someone help you find a car that is solid and runs and drives well. With the exception of the irs and bodywork, a C2 is about as mechanically simple a car as has been built in the past fifty years. They were built in large volumes, with components shared from multi million unit sedans. There are millions of sb Chevs in service, you can still walk into an Autozone and walk out with a starter, water pump, alternator etc... cheap! The rest you can get from the Corvette houses.
They are easy to work on, and if you flub-up, your corner garage can bail you out. Get a GM manual, AIM and NCRS judging manual, and be prepared to ask questions here and locally.
If the above sounds like it would be fun, dive in! If on the other hand, you have never been a hands on type and you don't know where you'll find the time, get a nice C5 and let Jiffy Lube do the oil.
Good luck,

Paul
Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Driver 61
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Love tinkering

Driving is great, making improvement and restoring is even greater. When I first got tmy vette, I spent hours and hours under and over inspecting and cleaning. I enjoyed listed projects and prioritizing and then researching items and getting into it. Please understand, I take my wife's car to the station for oil changes. Her isn't a vette.
If you like C1 or C2 you shoulkd like to work on it, it part of love, being mechanical challanged you should seek help friend or club. Good luck & enjoy, Aloha Rich
Old 05-22-2007, 05:39 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

that was a good point about finding folks that can work on it (pros). I had an old 67 ford pickup truck..3 on the tree. Pulled it in to get tires. Machanic had to drive it in (insurance issus he said). He had no idea about a 3 on the tree,,had to ask me where the gears where.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I consider myself an average mechanic. If I do not how something works then, I will either go to the assembly or shop manual and study how it's put together and then go from there. Having access to the internet especially all of the experience on this Corvette Forum has helped me greatly. I would say think about your resources and think about your ability and then make your decision based on them.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
KYCelt
Instructor

Gentleman, I am over whelmed at the number of responses, and I thank each of you. Now if I can just get one of you to adopt me for a year or so, this will be easy.

Seriously, I can do maintenance. I paid an equipment dealer once to service a tractor and said never again. $300 for $50 in parts and less than 30 minutes of work taught me to get the manual out. I am more concerned about the diagnosis and repair when something breaks or it just quits. I know I cannot screw up a 30 HP tractor, not so confident about a $40K+ vette.

I went to the local vette gathering Sunday, wife wasn't impressed. Seemed to be a closed society. I have contacted my shop and dealer clients for advice, think I will pick one or two of them and buy a beer or two and try to gain more knowledge. I have several old car collectors insured, they mostly just wanted to sell a car, but they did offer a few leads on preferred body shops.

I am looking at a board members car, will continue to look and learn.

Thanks again,
David
Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
hpexpatriot
Racer

Originally Posted by KYCelt
Gentleman,

I went to the local vette gathering Sunday, wife wasn't impressed. Seemed to be a closed society.

Thanks again,
David
Don't get too put off by the "closed society" thing. Make no mistake it does exist but just ignore those guys. many of them turn in concentric circiles till they disappear up their own A-holes. There are real good guys in this hobby but there is also a lunatic fringe of truly **** perfect resto types. Learning to know the difference is an acquired skill like the taste for Scotch.

A word on body shops. Be VERY careful. Get recommendations FROM CUSTOMERS, don't listen to "I heard the guy on 5th and King Street is good" and whatever you do DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING you hear from the shop owner until it is collaborated by a satisfied customer. Something in the bondo dust and the paint fumes makes these body guys nutty. Cars sit forever while they do insurance work (more mney / less fussy customer). Remember what I said : BELIEVE NOTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT A SHOP UNLESS IT IS FROM A CUSTOMER.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:14 AM
wallemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KYCelt
Seriously, I can do maintenance. I paid an equipment dealer once to service a tractor and said never again. $300 for $50 in parts and less than 30 minutes of work taught me to get the manual out. I am more concerned about the diagnosis and repair when something breaks or it just quits. I know I cannot screw up a 30 HP tractor, not so confident about a $40K+ vette.

David
Seriously, if you can do maintenance on a tractor, you can do it on the C1 and C2 vettes. The technology is about the same!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
BMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by ctjackster
It was not uncommon fo a car to be down a quart - when was the last time your modern car was down a quart?
You're right when you said few people raise their hoods anymore on modern cars to check stuff. If they did, many more would have the same response to this question that I have. My 96, 4.6L Mustang is down a quart every 5k miles between oil changes. It's the nature of the modular engines in the new mustangs and is commonly known in mustang circles. Just a little tidbit of info.

As far as constant maintenance, I would not consider the checking fluid levels or topping off oil maintenance, or even spraying in some gumout in the carb after the car sits for a month or two. That's about all that was required with dad's vette. Now his '69 jaguar on the other hand, how about every weekend before a sunday cruise pumping the brakes while dad opens the bleeder screw to rid the system of air. EVERY WEEKEND. Or tuning the carb, or replacing another one of the guages that's gone wacky, or...... THAT is constant maintenance my friends.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,486 Likes on 907 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

With a manual, and a lot less than several thou in tools, you can do almost anything, except specialized stuff.

A set on 1/4". 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets and ratchets, , a 1/2" drive, 18" long breaker bar,set of open and box end wrenches,a nd some screw drivers, a timing light and a vacuum gauge, gets you 98% of the tools you will need.

For years, with the tools I had in a portable (but heavy, maybe 70 pounds), two drawer Craftsman tool chest that i could carry in the trunk of my '61, could have rebuilt the entire car from the ground up, with what was in that tool box.

Other speciatly tools can be picked up as needed.

The nice thing is, this isn't your driver, you can work on it in teh garage and if you get stuck, you can find out the answer and continue the next day, without having to worry about getting it back together to get to work the next morning.

Having manual tells you 98% of what you need to know.

Doug
Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just chime in to say, I was once in the same position as yourself. I had some basic mechanical skills, not much in the way of tools and almost no automotive experience.

I bought my 65 as a driver to replace my 'modern car' that had been vandalized. I choose the replace the modern car with something I could learn to repair myself. New cars, as has been noted, don't require as frequent service but it is often expensive service requiring specialized equipment. And as I learned the hard way the depreciate fast.

Now for the first few years I paid people to do what I considered tricky stuff but learned as I went and slowly got more comfortable doing things. I started with the gross mechanical things, like I could change a water pump of a fuel pump or alternator. Then it was suspension stuff, then the carb etc. I have now done almost everything.....including several engines for my car and others. I still don't do paint (I chickened out) and I let a pro handle the trans and diff since I don't have the tools....

Bottomline is you can do most stuff yourself, but I think you need to learn as you go when it is just impractical and better to pay an expert. My feeling is I do the installs and assemblies since I feel I take more care than most non-owners but for things that require special tool investment or alot of experience, or some artistic skill I totally, lack I farm it out. I find that actually saves money as it is often the R&R that costs so much not the actual fix.

The best part is you have some fun, learn some stuff and you can hang out here and find an expert on almost anything vette related who will be glad to explain almost anything or point you to where you can have it done for a fair price.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a sign in a Service Station shop. It went something like this:

Standard Labor Rate: $5.00 per hour.

Other Rates:
Labor Rate: $10.00 per hour, if you watch.

Labor Rate: $15.00 per hour, if you give advice.

Labor Rate: $20.00 per hour, if you help.

Labor Rate: $50.00 per hour, if WE have to undo what you done!

Last edited by Tom E.; 05-22-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom E.
When I was a kid, I remember seeing a sign in a Service Station shop. It went something like this:

Standard Labor Rate: $5.00 per hour.

Other Rates:
Labor Rate: $10.00 per hour, if you watch.

Labor Rate: $20.00 per hour, if you help.

Labor Rate: $50.00 per hour, if WE have to undo what you done!

This is great, and still applies today, just slip the decimal once to the right and you're set. I had an estimate for my Subaru to get some things done the other day. The dealer wanted $114.50 PER HOUR just for labor. Yipe.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMHO as one who has eventually figured most things out (even if it is by trial and error sometimes) I would follow the advice of the members who said if it is not broke do not fix it.

Another problem is who would you dare leave your car with and hope that it does not get scratched or taken for a joy ride when your back is turned?

I would hope that everyone could hang onto what they have grown to love but the fact is there are always some really nice already restored midyears that need to be sold and are not expecting Barret Jackson prices.

Take your time and learn what you can this summer but wait to buy until the snow starts to fly. For sure being that close I would get down to the forum cruise in.

Doug
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

My simple answer to your thread question is:

Yep. I am a perfect example.

And, as has been stated....get: tools, manuals, friends, beer and patience. Remember that it really is just an old Chevy.

Oh...and don't bother fixing it 'til its broke. Been there and done that too many times!

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Can the mechanically challanged play?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
I'd flash the "I disagree" sign if we had one on here.

Compared with modern cars (which most folks seem to have in mind when considering owning a car that costs more than $40,000) these cars DO require much more attention. Heck, when is the last time you checked the oil level in your 2004 Yukon, checked the anti-freeze level, or set the timing? No one even opens the hood on their cars anymore, or even has someone do it for them with any sort of weekly frequency (remember full service gas stations that checked your oil for you? It was not uncommon fo a car to be down a quart - when was the last time your modern car was down a quart??)

Even if you do get a "good" one as Mike urges (caveat - there are not that many "good ones" to go around), you will be having to give the car more attention than present day car owners are used to, and when the 40 year old car DOES have a mechanical issue, know that NO ONE in your local service shop will likely have the familiarity with the car that is necessary to perform the proper repair to the satisfaction of one of us - such is why so many of us simply ask a bunch of questions here (and then the old boys on VH will mock us for always tinkering with our cars ) and then tackle it ourselves.

I can't say that I've fixed something that didn't need fixing on my car; perhaps restored something that was working okay but not looking very proper is the most I am guilty of.

These are OLD cars...They will aways need something..Corvette parts in my opinion are NOT cheap..Be prepared to throw some money into it to "keep up" on it..

I enjoy "playing" with my car when I have the time...My car when I bought it from previous owner told its "ready to go"..and.."needed" NO WORK

Yeah...right

Needed all new brakes..

New trailing arm because the old one was "fixed" by braze welding the "rot" in the trailing arm..

Now it needs....

The engine is blowing smoke..and is getting tired..has oil leaks

Suspension is worn and tired..

Yes welcome to the wonderful world of old Corvettes
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 PM
ZRGator
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05

Well, if you think you have no mechanical ability and can work on your tractor, you can work on these cars. If you think you have no ability, just do an archives search for anything by BarryK and be prepared to read, read, read (sorry, Barry, it's just in fun ). Barry started with no experience and has grown into quite the wrench now.

Any how, as they used to say at the old watering hole....c'mon in, the water's fine. Get a car and discover a whole new world.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Default Semper-Fi

don't get scared off David--if you can work on a tractor and read manuals--the rest is just repitition , Most shops unless they specilize in Vette's know less than you --I'ts just an old car abet a nice and expencive old car--I buy project 's and do them my way --a;ll the work cept boring out the engine--you CAN learn to do it all--As for the clubs being stand offish--keep going they'll warm up to you once they see you return --so many people just show up once and are gone??--Semper-Fi Glenn We are here to help also "will work for Beer" Wish i was closer

Quick Reply: Can the mechanically challanged play?