C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sandblasting questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Kens_62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sandblasting questions

I am about ready to sandbast the frame and suspension parts on my 62. I do need some help on this.

1. I can rent a 20cfm@90psi 30 gallon gas compressor for $35 bucks a day. Is this adequate for the job?

2. What blasting media should I use? Do you blast course to fine or just make one pass with an intermediate material? Also, what size nozzles do I need?

3. Approximately how many man hours will be involved?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kens_62
I am about ready to sandbast the frame and suspension parts on my 62. I do need some help on this.

1. I can rent a 20cfm@90psi 30 gallon gas compressor for $35 bucks a day. Is this adequate for the job?

2. What blasting media should I use? Do you blast course to fine or just make one pass with an intermediate material? Also, what size nozzles do I need?

3. Approximately how many man hours will be involved?

Thanks,
Doug
The media depends upon what you plan on doing (powdercoating versus painting). I know some powdercoating businesses would rather sandblast the parts using their own media than to have pre-sandblasted parts.

20 CFM is on the low side. You will have some down time between blasts. Plus, the nozzle size will be smaller.

Also, you should plan on catching the media. Make sure to get a good mask, goggles and thick clothing without a sandblasting cabinet.

I tried it and gave up since my compressor was running way to much for what I could get done. It was easier to send out the parts (250.00).
Old 05-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I can tell you from after doing two frame offs, that it is waay cheaper and faster to send it out. You'll spend $200 on media alone like 30/60 grit Kleen Blast which is about $10/100 pound bag.

A abrasive blast shop should not charge you more than $400 for all the parts associated with the frame and running gear.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:42 PM
ml1955
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides the expense, then there is the mess to clean up. I pay $50 a bucket for Kleen Blast which is safer than sand, but you'd just be wasting it... If you can, farm out that work.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

You'll need at least a 60 gallon tank. Took me about 5 hours and 5 bags of black beauty fine sand. Did it in the backyard let the sand fly sinks into the lawn eventually.12.00 a bag. Wear a mask and a hood. Good Luck
Old 05-31-2007, 03:06 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you do decide to do it yourself rent one of those big-azz compressors that you pull behind a truck. One of my friends and I did his 50 Chevy pickup with one and it beats the heck out of waiting for a small compressor to keep up, it's all blast all the time. We went through about 15 bags of fine blasting sand at 5 bucks a bag. I think the compressor was around $75. We took it out to a friends place and found a spot under a tree and let 'er rip so there wasn't anything to clean up. It will take most of the day and be sure to use a good water separator.

My dad did the frame on his 57 Chevy pickup in his driveway with a 5 hp compressor. It took him several days but he's retired and it gave him something to do. He used 12 bags of sand which he just swept into a low spot next to the drive.

BL
Old 05-31-2007, 04:43 PM
yesfam
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Big *** compressor

We did my '57 at my brother-in-laws shop. He has a 275 CFM Ingersoll/Rand pull behind and a 700 lb hopper with a large bore hose and nozzle. We used about 15 bags of sand (1,500 lbs) and spent about 6 hours of actual work time doing the frame and all suspension parts. The parts came out looking perfect with a slight rough surface finish. We used the finest grade sand we could get and tried to keep the nozzle moving. We had no issues with erasing manufacturing marks or stamping numbers on anything. It sure made a man sized mess! Make sure you have plenty of personal protection, (gloves, fresh air hood)
Don Yesacavage
Old 05-31-2007, 05:48 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default frame blast

I always use triple 0 sand and rent a tow behind blaster for frames. Have to look for the 000 as most places carry a larger grit. Have everything readyy to blast before you rent the blaster.

That big blaster will destroy anything it comes in contact with if your not careful, try out some scrap pieces first to get the hang of it. Use quick passes and the rust comes off like washing dirt off with a hose. Do not keep the hose on one spot for more than a moment. Angle the force of the sand sharply and work in the direction from cleaned area to rusted area when possible.

Be sure to degrease the frame before blasting.

That 000 grit works great for small parts and a typical home compressor. I never use any larger grit.
Damp sand will stop up any blaster so make sure it is dry.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Just a thought. For about $600 to $800, you can have the frame and suspension pieces blasted AND powder coated.

Money well spent, IMHO. NO fun under a hood blasting for hours. Chuck
Old 05-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Good point Chuck, and that is cheaper and easier than painting it yourself or sending all of it out to be painted.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Kevin 64
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suppliers of Kleen Blast or Black Beauty

Did you guys get these locally? I'm in St. Loiuis and am looking for a cheap alternative to what I have for so far for media.

Get notified of new replies

To Sandblasting questions

Quick Reply: Sandblasting questions