C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

GM Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM Dealers

I got a story to tell .I bought my wife a 2003 Cadillac CTS in 2005 with 22200 miles on it She had an old Mercury station wagon It only had 63000 on it so I keep it . Well she did not want to drive the Cadillac to work and leave it in the parking lot So we have not drove it in the Maine winters and we have only put 3000 miles on it in 2 years I had to go by the place I bought it on Friday (45 MILES A WAY),so I called them and they set up and oil change and I wanted the car to have it`s state inspection. I dropped my wife off at the shopping center and I take the car over for service I watched there big 50 inch TV for awhile and then I go outside and walk by the bay that my car is in (on the lift) and I see the car shaking ,the guy is under it with a par of pliers and a torc bit trying to get the drain plug out I watch him go back and forth to his tool box trying to get this plug out I said the hell with it and I go under the car and asked him what was up He said my torc bit is to long and I do not have enough room to get my ratchet up in there I said I have all kinds of small ones at home The boss come out and said ,you better see if we got a new drain plug in stock you are going to strip that one I take off and go for a walk I come back and he said he go it out but he has to put a new one in I go for another walk I come back and the car is out side I go to pay and the guy behind the desk said I will have to pay for the plug It was 15.00 for the plug and 10.00 labor to strip it then he said the car will not pass inspection it has a loose right outer tie rod 66.00 for the oil change . Well I was red faced by then. I keep my cool and said I have only drove that car 3000 miles since I bought it and it only has 25200 and you are telling me it needs a tie rod ,then you want to charge me 25.00 for a drain plug that your man could not get out and you was the last one to put it in there and he did not have the right tool He looked at me like it was stuff **** and I was ready to grab him my the neck ,but I asked for the service manager. He called her she was upstairs and will come down I waited 15 minutes and I was already 25 minutes late to get the wife so I left and will have to get this straighten out on Monday I have had a couple other things like this happen to me at GM dealers It is to dam bad that all they want to do is screw people I have bought GM all my life but I am not going to buy anymore

Last edited by piper; 06-02-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got cliff notes? Or paragraphs?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:06 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

unfortunately it's a battle royale to get anything done anymore.
sorry they screwed you. but, the dealer is a separate entity and not part of GM.
the General can spend millions on advertising and lose it all with meatballs like those people you encountered there.
go back and demand they get it right. call GM customer service and file a complaint. they claim they make a big deal out of service satisfaction.
too bad people have to take more of their own time to go back and get it re-done or complain.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Your story sounds all too famliar. Capable auto techs are getting harder and harder to find. Dealer service is nothing but rip off city. Al W.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 798 Likes on 545 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You did real well keeping your cool ! I for sure would NEVER go back there. But also call GM and put in a complaint.
You have to keep in mind it is soooo hard to find good help nowdays. The right tool and the right tech would breeze right through it. Good luck, Pops
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piper
I got a story to tell .I bought my wife a 2003 Cadillac CTS in 2005 with 22200 miles on it She had an old Mercury station wagon It only had 63000 on it so I keep it . Well she did not want to drive the Cadillac to work and leave it in the parking lot So we have not drove it in the Maine winters and we have only put 3000 miles on it in 2 years I had to go by the place I bought it on Friday (45 MILES A WAY),so I called them and they set up and oil change and I wanted the car to have it`s state inspection. I dropped my wife off at the shopping center and I take the car over for service I watched there big 50 inch TV for awhile and then I go outside and walk by the bay that my car is in (on the lift) and I see the car shaking ,the guy is under it with a par of pliers and a torc bit trying to get the drain plug out I watch him go back and forth to his tool box trying to get this plug out I said the hell with it and I go under the car and asked him what was up He said my torc bit is to long and I do not have enough room to get my ratchet up in there I said I have all kinds of small ones at home The boss come out and said ,you better see if we got a new drain plug in stock you are going to strip that one I take off and go for a walk I come back and he said he go it out but he has to put a new one in I go for another walk I come back and the car is out side I go to pay and the guy behind the desk said I will have to pay for the plug It was 15.00 for the plug and 10.00 labor to strip it then he said the car will not pass inspection it has a loose right outer tie rod 66.00 for the oil change . Well I was red faced by then. I keep my cool and said I have only drove that car 3000 miles since I bought it and it only has 25200 and you are telling me it needs a tie rod ,then you want to charge me 25.00 for a drain plug that your man could not get out and you was the last one to put it in there and he did not have the right tool He looked at me like it was stuff **** and I was ready to grab him my the neck ,but I asked for the service manager. He called her she was upstairs and will come down I waited 15 minutes and I was already 25 minutes late to get the wife so I left and will have to get this straighten out on Monday I have had a couple other things like this happen to me at GM dealers It is to dam bad that all they want to do is screw people I have bought GM all my life but I am not going to buy anymore
What?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Brucets11
Racer

I'd call GM's CR department and let them know and ask the factory to pay. Also ask them if there's any service bulletins related to your problems.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 AM
kidvette
Pro

IMO I think all the major auto makers dealerships need some type of quality control inspectors in their repair departments. Todays cars are more complex than yesterdays aircraft.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by kidvette
IMO I think all the major auto makers dealerships need some type of quality control inspectors in their repair departments. Todays cars are more complex than yesterdays aircraft.
And they need some check and balances on who is really qualified to do what. Just because someone is a ASE certified mechanic doesn't mean they are good to go on all jobs.

I have talked to several shop managers that say they would pay good money for someone who knew what they were doing and would stay longer than 30 days. You would be surprised how many mechanics shop hop around town and there is such a demand that the shops have to hire them to keep up production.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Go over in the C6 section and see the stories of bad service on new Corvettes. GM needs to weed out bad dealers. GM's dealers are the one of the reasons they are going down the drain.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Your story sounds all too famliar. Capable auto techs are getting harder and harder to find. Dealer service is nothing but rip off city. Al W.
Never go to a dealer for inspection without a warranty.Their job is to make money.Find a service station you can trust and establish a relationship with the owner. You will have a lot more money in your pocket at the end of the year. Most of those services they charge you at dealers are not performed anyway.Things like inspecting shields and mounts etc are never looked at. I had saturn do a service which included brake inspection. I was told everything was fine after paying $150.00, That afternoon the sensorers was making noise. When I confronted the dealer(and this is the truth) I was told the tech was working on another car the same color as mine and got them mixed up.In reality they never pulled the wheels off but took a peek from the outside.Last service I was told i needed new wiper blades.Mine for $52.00. I told them no thanks. They should give these guys guns and just hold you up and ask for your money at the front door.At least then you know when your being robbed.As soon as my warranty expires the dealer wont see my face anymore in the mean time if they want to change parts and charge GM thats ok by me.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:23 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by piper
Some more on this Cadillac. Two days after they deliver the car and the first day my wife was going to take it out the battery was dead. Now this did get me mad. I made and appointment to talk to the Service Manager and the Owner(I got the general Manager) I was early for the appointment So I when to see a high School classmate that worked there He is in charge of transportation .He said when they when to get the Cadillac to bring it down to my house that the battery was dead and they told him to jump it .Now I was real happy before my meeting. I would not tell them who told me that the battery was dead but I sure let them know about it The antenna was always on and draining the battery Well they gave me a new truck to use and they fixed it and deliver it to my house . But they never should of deliver it in the first place. I know I should of not gone back but I though I would give them another change
Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
Never go to a dealer for inspection without a warranty.
Never live in a state that requires an inspection.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM
65 goldline
Intermediate

piper,
Here is a customer assistance number for cadillac. Call and complain about the dealer and how you were treated. Hope it helps.
1-800 458-8006
Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65 goldline
piper,
Here is a customer assistance number for cadillac. Call and complain about the dealer and how you were treated. Hope it helps.
1-800 458-8006
Thank You I have e-mailed them ,but i will call
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 PM
65coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr D.

I disagree. Most of us on this forum may not need yearly inspections but I used to live in Connecticut that didn't require yearly inspection and I heard countless stories of old ladies driving around on bald tires and worn out brakes. Not good.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealers

Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Here in New Joisey we have State Inspection. You have two choices...

"A" ...Go to the State run inspection station where your car is inspected for FREE by private inspection ****'s for the State. You get a chance to wait in line and inhale exhaust fumes.

"B" ...Go to your local private shop that is authorized by the state to inspect your car. He can only charge you 50% of his labor rate for the per year inspection. New Joisey is 2 years.

Your better off going to your Local guy and paying to get inspected. This way you have an appointment and your in and out baring any troubles.

The state run inspection can be a nightmare depending if anyone of the different inspectors has a Hang over from some bad Crack..(If You Know What I mean)...from the night before.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you can buy new vehicles every four years and not have to worry about inspections ever again.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65coupe
I disagree. Most of us on this forum may not need yearly inspections but I used to live in Connecticut that didn't require yearly inspection and I heard countless stories of old ladies driving around on bald tires and worn out brakes. Not good.
And you think that an inspection will keep granny from driving on wore out brakes?

Quick Reply: GM Dealers