C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood won't stay latched . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Default Hood won't stay latched . . .

I knew I should have taken some measurements before taking my car all apart last year!!! Now that it's all back together and back on the road I have a problem keeping the hood latched. When I drive it and hit a bump, the hood pops open. I know I had this same problem many years ago and only thru trial and error did I get the bumpers adjusted correctly. Can anyone take a measurement for me . . . the distance from the latch assembly to the top of the hood bumpers on each side??? Many thanks!!!

Tom
Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dcxguy
I knew I should have taken some measurements before taking my car all apart last year!!! Now that it's all back together and back on the road I have a problem keeping the hood latched. When I drive it and hit a bump, the hood pops open. I know I had this same problem many years ago and only thru trial and error did I get the bumpers adjusted correctly. Can anyone take a measurement for me . . . the distance from the latch assembly to the top of the hood bumpers on each side??? Many thanks!!!

Tom
I've just spent what seemed like half the day fiddling with this.
I could not find any info on dimensions so just had to trial and error.
Start by measuring down from body surface in latch area to top of latch plate, this will at least give you a datum measurement to start with.
With the bonnet up I used a piece of thick nylon plastic taped to body to reproduce the slight curve of bonnet in the latch area. Then with a pair of vernier calipers measured the distance from the top of bonnet to top of washer on bonnet pin. After this it's a bit of simple addition and subtraction to arrive at a figure to shoot for.

Neville
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
jackhays
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Try this

Nev, I kept my parts at the measured settings and still had the pop open issue after restoration.
I think the new hood seal was thicker and putting pressure across the baord.
Anyway I solved my opening issue by pushing the hood open handle forward after I closed and latched the hood.
It's cheap to try and apparently my cable was not sliding all the way forward and did not let the latches close completely.
Give it a try.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think your bumper adjustment and the hood popping open are related. It is probably the alignment of the hood pin in the female hood latch. But first be sure your hood release handle is seated all the way back into the bracket after you pull it to open your hood. Next check the adjustment in the cables that attach to each hood latch. Are they moving freely and tightly adjusted? Are the hood latches, female part, clean and lubricated properly with a little light grease? Alignment of the hood pin in the female latch. Is the side that is popping aligned properly? To see where you are place some tin foil over each latch opening and close the hood just enough to begin to mark the tin foil. Do the pins seem to be centered? If not adjust the female latch on the firewall left or right to center. Last idea would be the condition of your latches and pins. Do they seem to be in good enough condition that you could expect them to work properly? I had one side on my '66 that would not release and the tin foil test showed that side was out of alignment. Adjusted that side and it has been fine ever since. Hope some of this helps.

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Beck; 07-08-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Is one side worse than the other? Start with the side that is the worse, Use a large screw driver to screw out the pin that is on the hood. It could also be that the latches themself are not allowing the pin to fully engage. If you have replaced the latches also during your restoration you may have to adjust the wires that actually pull the latches open. I know that this is not as descriptive as I would like but it should get you going. Dave
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 PM
606501Z
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another idea

Wow, my second post of the night, after soo long without. I have had the hood off of my 65 cpe many times and never a problem until the last time. The right side kept popping up. Did all kinds of adjusting, then realized just the other day that the little screw clamp was just a little too tight/close to the hood catch on right side. Moved it out about 1/8 inch and presto, no problem. When the left side shut, it was pulling the right side open just enough to not allow it catch and hold.
Good luck.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is a little hint posted by JohnZ some time ago. Stretch some tin foil over the latches and drop the hood down till the latch pin starts to penetrate the tin foil. Lift the hood and you can see exactly how the latch is aligned with the pin. From there you can make your latch adjustments. Did this when I reinstalled my hood this winter. Worked great.
Roy
Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Default Hood won't stay latched . . .

Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies. It seems the passenger side is the culprit (at least that side pops open first!). Lots of good ideas . . .I'll start with the tin foil to make sure the pins are centered.

Tom
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
Here is a little hint posted by JohnZ some time ago. Stretch some tin foil over the latches and drop the hood down till the latch pin starts to penetrate the tin foil.
This is why this forum is so great
- a simple solution to a nagging problem

Get notified of new replies

To Hood won't stay latched . . .

Quick Reply: Hood won't stay latched . . .