C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Shelby GT350/ Corvette 327

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

You guys on page 2 beat me to my comments. Good racing engineers and drivers can turn almost any stock street car into a winner.

Shelby had full access to Ford engineering, computer track simulator dynos, wind tunnels, etc. And he hired away top Corvette shoes like Bob Bondurant and Dave MacDonald to add to his established Cobra stable of pros like Ken Miles. Their success attracted skilled amateur driverrs to the GT 350 program. Major Castrol and Goodyear sponsorships also helped with the bills.

In contrast, most B/P Corvettes were prepared and driven by amateurs. And most of these guys had day jobs which left only nights and weekends for prep and practice.

To give you another example, Nissan poured millions into development of fire-breathing 510 sedan racers that ran away from BMWs and Alfas which never had problems against stock street Datsuns.

Now, if GM had turned Zora, Larry Shinoda and the Warren Tech Center gang loose, it would have been a real battle.

PS: I think the GT 350Rs also had Koni adjustable shocks standard. That alone would be good for three seconds a lap on a one minute road course.

Last edited by sub006; 12-06-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
I thought this sounded familiar........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=shelby
Yeah - that thread pretty well nails it. Here is a list of mods I did to my '66 fastback stang to get it to handle and it still wasn't close to the vettes of that era:

quick steer pitman and idler arm
lowered A-arms 1-1/4"
polyurethane bushings all round
1" front sway bar upgrade
3/4" rear sway bar added
KYB Gas-A-Just shocks all round
lowered 'reverse-eye' rear springs
Radial T/A 15" tires
Monte Carlo bar
Export Brace

These old stangs (and I love them dearly) were notorious for collapsing shock towers when driven hard. Which is why I installed the last two mods (so did Carrol Shelby). I was running about 325 HP with the 351 heads and headers and Holley dbl pumper 750 so it wasn't that far off from a Shelby. It was fast but I sure didn't go out "vette hunting" in it.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,598 Likes on 2,173 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I thought this sounded familiar........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=shelby
I remember chiming in on that thread. I had a 65 Shelby GT 350. It was stolen and never recovered. I then bought my 65 350 horse Vette. I always felt the Vette handled better and accelerated better but the Shelby was a great looking car. Insurance gave me what I paid for it in 71. $600!!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned both the 66 Shelby GT 350 and 64 Vette in 1980. The Vette was a little faster, BUT the Shelby was joy to drive. It did everything well and was very forgiving when driving it hard. Apples and Oranges here.

It was very tough to let the GT 350 go, but when a relationship ends she has to get something. She got the Shelby and I got the Vette.

Last edited by glenn64vette; 12-06-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry I forgot I made such a post, but a close friend in my church who last year had a 427 side oiler built in a Cobra replica handed me a book he purchased (Haynes motor book AC Cobra) which had fact after fact about the man and the cars (Carroll Shelby) and it got my juices started about the old Ford vs Chevy thing. I found the book quite interesting as each serial number is recorded with production dates of these cars. Further research has told me several road tests were done on the 65 version (the best of the batch) of the Gt 350, but I could not find any to read. Apparently Motor trend, Car and driver, Sports car graphic and several others did road tests on the Gt 350.Im also told that the R model suspension wise was identical to the street version except for stiffer koni shocks on the R version. If that being true the people at Shelby America did there home work well, as the R models dominated the race circuit for several years. Of course as one poster said with so few cars actual being built including Cobras and Gt350s were they really considered contenders in everyday life? Since I was 16 and lived near one of the few authorized Cobra dealers that would explain why I only saw 1 Cobra and 2 Gt 350s in my life.They just did not exist. IMO I believe I have learned from all the posts and books I read that the Corvette is a cleaner more civilized machine than the Shelby product.Riding in my friends 427 just scares me. I don't think I could enjoy such a car. Call me a sissy but I don't know why anyone would want to go that fast.Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Sissy !

I have always wondered if I would have the stones to take a 1967 Corvette down the Mulsanne Straight and hold the petal down until the needle read 170, then turn .........

I want to go that fast
Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by smart_art
Tintin,

~snip~

Hell, by the early-'70s, the Corvette was getting spanked by the BMW CSLs and Porsches, which were sporting 6-cyl engines. So it would appear that racing was all but forgotten by then.
And I sadly remember watching a Datsun 240Z runnning circles around a 427 C2 on an SCCA course back in the day!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I think I speak for the entire Corvette Forum when I say the Corvette was the better car...........

the early Mustangs rode horrible and the 289 hipo was no match for the 327s........
I drove a '65 base-suspension coupe in high school...it rode just fine.

Quick Reply: 65 Shelby GT350/ Corvette 327