C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

I am looking for a front suspension conversion that does not require any modification to the inner fenders. Anybody ever use the Martz Chassis bolt in front suspension. Looks pretty nice, and looks like it may not require any cutting. Anyone with any knowledge of these guys?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
I am looking for a front suspension conversion that does not require any modification to the inner fenders. Anybody ever use the Martz Chassis bolt in front suspension. Looks pretty nice, and looks like it may not require any cutting. Anyone with any knowledge of these guys?
Here is a link for those interested:

http://www.martzchassis.net/page10.htm

Plasticman
Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Jvmc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not the Jim Myers setup?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Correct me if I am wrong but the Jim Meyers front end requires cutting inner fenders. The Martz Chassis looks far superior, the upper A arms sit much lower and it appears that it may fit without any cutting. I am waiting for a response from Martz and would like to see how it looks installed. Anybody got one installed?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Correct me if I am wrong but the Jim Meyers front end requires cutting inner fenders. The Martz Chassis looks far superior, the upper A arms sit much lower and it appears that it may fit without any cutting. I am waiting for a response from Martz and would like to see how it looks installed. Anybody got one installed?
It looks like it still will require some cutting of the inner fender wells. The spring/shock towers are just outboard of the frame, and are pretty tall. The upper A arms look like they would sit right next to the frame (not above it), but depending on vertical movement, might need the inner fender wells to be notched for them as well. Why not give them a call and find out for sure?

We (wmf62 & myself) are in the process of installing a TCI R&P front suspension on wmf62's Vette. Once he gets his internet connection back up, he will be full of comments! And to answer your question, the TCI version requires the inner fender wells to be notched due to the higher A arms and spring towers.

The Martz setup does look nice.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-17-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

The Martz front end looks really cool....

Plasticman does the TCI require any welding or is it a bolt in?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:46 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Martz did reply back to me and have indicated that the inner fenders do not need to be cut. I am very interested, but sure would like to see a 56 or 7 with the suspension installed. The inner fenders are different between 56-7 and 58-62, but I would think that if it works in one, it should work in all. Keep the comments coming...
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by kenmo
The Martz front end looks really cool....

Plasticman does the TCI require any welding or is it a bolt in?
Ken,

The main front crossmember has to be welded at the rear on both sides (to the frame). Also the spring towers need to be welded in.

Also, I think new "side mount" motor mounts must be welded in with any of these conversions.

Plasticman
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

if you look closely, you can get an idea of what i had to cut from the inner fenderpanels for the TCI install on my 62; the driver's side is a bit more severe due to the inner fenderpanel shape:

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 07-20-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added pictures of fenderwell cutouts
Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Wmf62 - what front end is that? (fatman, jim meyers, etc)?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by kenmo
Wmf62 - what front end is that? (fatman, jim meyers, etc)?
TCI (Total Cost Involved) makers of street rod suspensions that recently started making the C1 setup.

Plasticman
Old 07-25-2007, 02:09 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
TCI (Total Cost Involved) makers of street rod suspensions that recently started making the C1 setup.

Plasticman
Plasticman when you and Bill finish and it looks like he's been working on his. Could you do a write up or let me/us know how good or bad the process was. I love the technical side of a project. I'd just be afraid my MIG skills are not up to the test. Looks like the Martz one may support the upper control arm mount on it's own with out welding to the frame. The Meyers one has a tab to keep it all from wagging I guess.

Gordon

I could ride up to Bedford and get a Martz.

Last edited by INMYBLOOD; 07-25-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:37 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Also, I think new "side mount" motor mounts must be welded in with any of these conversions.

Plasticman
with the Myers this is not true. You can elect to use the old front water pump style mount if you want. I actually used the old style mount to position the motor so I could weld in the newer style lower motor mounts.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Bill, looking at your set up, is there any adjustability for setting height with the front suspension set up? On my Myers, there are three positions you can put it in, in my case I took the lowest position in the front and did the same thing with the rear after I got coil over shocks that were 1.5" shorter. The Myers set up comes with QA1 coil overs and shocks (that contributes to the difference in cost I am sure amont other things).

As you know I am going for the low rider look.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by firstgear
with the Myers this is not true. You can elect to use the old front water pump style mount if you want. I actually used the old style mount to position the motor so I could weld in the newer style lower motor mounts.
I was referring to the addition of a power steering pump "if" that was being added (which I would think would be the case in most installs). However, even that comes with alternates, such as using a Toyota electric PS pump.

we also used the old mount to set up the positioning of the side mounts. But even that has it's issues - to be explained later! I hear wmf62 calling me for HELP!

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-25-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by firstgear
Bill, looking at your set up, is there any adjustability for setting height with the front suspension set up? On my Myers, there are three positions you can put it in, in my case I took the lowest position in the front and did the same thing with the rear after I got coil over shocks that were 1.5" shorter. The Myers set up comes with QA1 coil overs and shocks (that contributes to the difference in cost I am sure amont other things).

As you know I am going for the low rider look.
The TCI does not provide any option for adjusting ride hgt., other than playing with the springs!

Plasticman
Old 07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
Plasticman when you and Bill finish and it looks like he's been working on his. Could you do a write up or let me/us know how good or bad the process was. I love the technical side of a project. I'd just be afraid my MIG skills are not up to the test. Looks like the Martz one may support the upper control arm mount on it's own with out welding to the frame. The Meyers one has a tab to keep it all from wagging I guess.

Gordon

I could ride up to Bedford and get a Martz.
Gordon,

I am sure we can write "something" up (later, after full completion). And yes, welding skills are necessary with the TCI. There are several other issues that, while they (or we) have solved each one, has taken a lot more engineering and rebuilds (and time!) than necessary for a "kit".

Plasticman

Get notified of new replies

To Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gordon,

I am sure we can write "something" up (later, after full completion). And yes, welding skills are necessary with the TCI. There are several other issues that, while they (or we) have solved each one, has taken a lot more engineering and rebuilds (and time!) than necessary for a "kit".

Plasticman
Living in Florida and playing with vette's does it get any better
Old 07-26-2007, 08:20 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

You guys are living my dream...my vision of Utopia... Hot Rod heaven????
Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Gordon & Ken,

Not by much! But Bill (wmf62) really does appreciate the AC in my shop (and I do a "little" )! And frankly, we both admit that doing the TCI without a lift would be a lot harder!

Plasticman

Quick Reply: Martz Chassis C1 front suspension