C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Default 65 restoration

I am weighing the cost of restoring my 65 roadster. Does anyone know of some kind of cost projection guide? The car is solid (no rust). I am projecting 12k in body and paint but to do the car right I am considering a frame off, replating the chrome, repolishing the stainless, new interior, tires, brakes, shocks, etc, etc. I am guessing restoration of the fuel unit at 2800 and the engine at 4500?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i just finished a 66 no option L72 vert.
i am afraid to run a total but my estimate is $40k. i did all the disassembly and assembly myself and outsourced the major paint and mechanical.

i think i could knock 10k off that if i was to do it again.mostly by doing engine work locally.
my car was very solid and complete. no frame rot etc.

seems like whatever you budget it will be lots more. you keep getting to the point where you say ....."oh well another $8.50 for the correct bolts is nothing........"

65 fuelie roadster is a dream car........ good luck with it
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't give you a detailed answer on your project, but I can tell you it will likely be much more than you expect.

I put $26k into a 72 Buick Skylark, without pulling the body or rebulding the suspension. Just paint, engine, interior, windows, chrome, all the little kibbles and bits.

I have $55k in a 56 Olds 98 body-off restoration project, which does not yet include a rebuild of the engine/transmission/AC compressor, and does not include new chrome for the bumpers. $20k of that was paint/body and all the chrome work except for bumpers.

It can get very pricey, very quickly.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

It really depends on how much of the work you are willing and able to perform yourself (and how much the car needs). I did a frame off on my 65 12 years ago and did most of the work myself (lots of help from friends). I have about 12 grand in receipts, which is short money. If you are just going to drop it off, depending on the shop, you could spend anywhere from $25,000 to $100,000. Good luck with your project
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
I am projecting 12k in body and paint but to do the car right I am considering a frame off, replating the chrome, repolishing the stainless, new interior, tires, brakes, shocks, etc, etc.
etc, etc = (while I have the body of I might as well do)..... rebuild trans, rear end, calipers, trailing arms, instrument cluster, replace fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, heater core, radiator, etc., etc. adds up quickly, but if it is an original FI car, it would be worth it.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

It will cost three times what you estimate, and will take 2-1/2 times as long as you think it will, you will have old and new parts piled everywhere, and your drivers will park outside for the duration. That's just the way it is.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
It will cost three times what you estimate, and will take 2-1/2 times as long as you think it will, you will have old and new parts piled everywhere, and your drivers will park outside for the duration. That's just the way it is.
and when you are done
-you will have tons of new parts that you duplicate ordered, forgot where you put them, scratched, decided to use the original. usually about 18% of the car value
-you will have tons of old parts that you kept because the new part you put on was made in china and not quite the same as original.....so just i case you want to swap it out later ....etc
-when out on that empty road late at night going just over 100mph you will never get over that feeling of ..."what am i doing ...... i put this car together!!!...... did i put a cotter pin in that spindle nut?"
-your drivers still park outside because you need room to stand back and enjoy the look of the 65 in its newly renovated garage which it now deserves and cost you another $10k minimum

we are all nuts........ thats what makes us motorheads
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L72
and when you are done
-you will have tons of new parts that you duplicate ordered, forgot where you put them, scratched, decided to use the original. usually about 18% of the car value
-you will have tons of old parts that you kept because the new part you put on was made in china and not quite the same as original.....so just i case you want to swap it out later ....etc
-when out on that empty road late at night going just over 100mph you will never get over that feeling of ..."what am i doing ...... i put this car together!!!...... did i put a cotter pin in that spindle nut?"
-your drivers still park outside because you need room to stand back and enjoy the look of the 65 in its newly renovated garage which it now deserves and cost you another $10k minimum

we are all nuts........ thats what makes us motorheads
i agree with everything 66L72 says an add:
- you will turn part of your property into "the beach" with sandblasting sand.
- spend the square root of pi in $$$$.
- always have to change that one last part because it is not quite right
- the wifey will be pissed because you spend all of your time in the garage.
- never again enjoy the thrill of driving and beating it because it is too perfect.
- enjoy the pleasure of ncrs telling you "thats the wrong cotter pin there and its not bent right, thats a 200 point deduction"
or you could avoid all the things i and 66L72 have listed and just take it to a restoration shop and give them X% of every paycheck for the rest of your life and never get your car back.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont forget to budget for a good divorce attorney...
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow. This sounds like it is going to be a wonderful experience (not).
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JohnZ
John
that's exactly how i figured my 'guesstimates' at work used to work out. i used to think 'what would it take for me to do it', then multiply by 3....
Bill

FWIW: i figured 2, 3 weeks max, to do my frontend swap; took 10 weeks...

Get notified of new replies

To 65 restoration

Quick Reply: 65 restoration