C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sidepipes and muffler? Will it fit??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sidepipes and muffler? Will it fit??

I have the 3" OD sidepipes and have been looking at ways to get the loud chambered sound to quiet a little. I am a big fan of Magnaflow as I had their mufflers on my 32 Coupe and they sounded awesome. I am not good at posting pics but did find some round Magnaflows 4" OD 2 1/2" Pipe (inlet and outlet). Not sure if I can get a 4" round Muffler to fit between the stock shielding and frame. But it sure would be nice if it would fit. Anyone try to get a Muffler on a stock sidepipe C2? I have a photo of the muffler if you want to see the actual dimensions.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:02 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

4" will simply not fit. I don't think it would fit even if you removed the heat shielding.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterDave
4" will simply not fit. I don't think it would fit even if you removed the heat shielding.
Will 3.5" OD bodies fit? Check this link: http://www.classicchambered.com/pic/Special_40.jpg
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM
mid-year crisis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well. they look neat, and, ya gotta love those shoes...
seriously..anybody know about or try them??
Old 09-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Five Window
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mid-year crisis
Well. they look neat, and, ya gotta love those shoes...
seriously..anybody know about or try them??
I have a pair of his 3" od 2.25" id mufflers. I should have them on the car within a week. His construction is perfect and really heavy duty. The difference in internal diameter between his 2.25 and stock is amazing.

Supposedly, you can put 4" od mufflers on your car by putting a 1/2" spacer strip under the side cover mounting molding, but it seems a bit much when you can get nice free flowing ones under the stock setup.

And lay off the guy's shoes!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Patrick, you're going to like the sound & performance SO much, you'll wish you had paid more for them!

Don't forget, we need a GOOD series of photos & movies w/sound.

(BTW, the really comfy old moccasins finally gave-up the ghost & are in a landfill. Yeah, LAY-OFF the stinkin' shoes!)
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Five Window
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm calling my exhaust man today to set up a time. I located 2.5" chrome turnouts for the rear of the tubes. Will take some good photos of all.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Five Window
I'm calling my exhaust man today to set up a time. I located 2.5" chrome turnouts for the rear of the tubes. Will take some good photos of all.
YES....please share the install, sound, power, etc with all. I know there are a bunch of us with sidepipes that would like a better, mellower sound.

Thanks,

Ken

PS....like your 5 window, I use to have a 3 window deuce coupe.

Last edited by Kensmith; 09-27-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

These look exactly like the sweetthunder brand chambers. I've got the 2.5" ID version and they are freekin' loud. I've got an idea I believe will work and now that the crap weather is here I'm gonna give it a shot. Will do a before and after sound byte also.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,543 Likes on 3,008 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I have the 3" OD sidepipes and have been looking at ways to get the loud chambered sound to quiet a little.
Ken,

If replacing the chambered muffler is an option for you, take a look at:

http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/

These "auger" style mufflers are available to fit inside straight exhaust tubing of various sizes, including 2.5" and 3". They sound good (in my opinion) and work very well. Made from stainless steel, you probably won't ever have to replace them.

Jim Laughlin, the owner of this company, is a stand-up guy and he'll custom make a pair of mufflers with as many baffles as you need to meet your sound level needs.

I run a set of these in my vintage racer. Normally, I run with 4 baffles with an option to add three more when I run sound controlled events at Laguna Seca. With all seven baffles installed, my bride often doesn't hear me driving up to our paddock space..... they are that quiet outside the car.

Yes, I realize I'm talking about a race car and you are talking about a street driven car. No matter. These spiral baffle mufflers can be made as quiet as you need.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have heard of these but nobody on the forum seems to have them or at least made known they have them and what they sound like over the chambered sidepipes. Would love to hear a sound bite from one on a 2 1/2 or 3 inch chambered sidepipe.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,543 Likes on 3,008 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Is it live or is it Memorex?

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I have heard of these but nobody on the forum seems to have them or at least made known they have them and what they sound like over the chambered sidepipes. Would love to hear a sound bite from one on a 2 1/2 or 3 inch chambered sidepipe.
I'll have my car at Thunderhill in Willows on Saturday (day after tomorrow). Come up and you can hear them for yourself.

Jim
Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I'll have my car at Thunderhill in Willows on Saturday (day after tomorrow). Come up and you can hear them for yourself.

Jim
Jim,

Would love to but have committed myself to fixing my son's truck this weekend. Where do you live? Maybe I could drive over some day and hear it?

Thanks,

Ken

Get notified of new replies

To Sidepipes and muffler? Will it fit??

Quick Reply: Sidepipes and muffler? Will it fit??