C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is a 3-point belt truly better/safer than original lap belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=VetteRed1965;1568412831]
Originally Posted by Joe's66

Hi Joe 66, Do you have the size of the added angles for the brackets.Did you get those from Ecklers?Nice looking set-up

Then its timefor the headrest.The Wife went for Her 1st ride two days ago...

Thanks,Mark
Hey Mark, I got the belts from Ecklers but there is a contact number for the company that makes the belts (in CA I think). They will send you additional brackets (free) if you call them. I can find the number if you need it.. let me know. I had to flatten out the brackets and bend them to suit my needs. Made everything fit nice and had it welded.

Headrest is great idea... I'll do it whenever I redo the seats or come across a good deal on the brackets.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to get more detail about this install for my 65.

This is what I have always wanted to do as well..get 3 point harnesses in the car but with original looking hardware and not messing too much with the body and frame.

Am I right in assuming you had the original buckles installed on the after market belts. Can you post the number of the california supplier.

Thanks
Darren
Old 01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes… I also liked the idea of having a 3-pont with original hardware and I had seen others on the forum do the same. For something that you use every time you drive the car, there is something to be said for the look and feel of the original hardware. I also liked the feeling of security from the 3-point… however as some have commented, these cars are not exactly Volvos when it comes to safety.

My car came with crappy aftermarket belts. I bought the correct belts on e-bay and had the tongues re-chromed. The buckles I refurbished myself. All the 3-point hardware came with the kit from Eckler’s. I had a local upholstery shop sew the belts together. I did upgrade some of the bolts and fab’ed the additional bracket to attach to the frame. The frame attachment was to an existing hole. The only mods I did to the car was to drill through the fiberglass for the rear attachment point (I have an earlier ’66 and it did not have the plate back there) and two small holes in each seat back frame. The contact info for the additional hardware bracket came with the kit.. I’ll look though my paperwork and dig that up for you.

Look thought my posts, I went into some detail.. It was a lot of work but I was very pleased with the result. Let me know if you have any questions.

/joe

.. I looked and I can't find the paperwork for the phone number. I know I have it (...somewhere). If you order the Eckler's kit, it will come with the info.. ...I'll keep looking.

Last edited by JoeCool66; 01-05-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

FWIW, this is the factory seat bracket for late 1966 and all 1967. My GM buckles came from Andover and were put on the webbing by local professionals.

Quick Reply: Is a 3-point belt truly better/safer than original lap belt?