C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Holly Street Avenger Electric Choke

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
ddsjoseph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holly Street Avenger Electric Choke

I have just installed a new Carburetor on my 65 coupe. I am not sure where to attach the red electric wire that comes out of the choke. Should it be atached directly to any 12 volt constant power supply or is there somewhere more specific around the engine.
Please help?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

use the supply side (12v) on the ballast resistor
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
use the supply side (12v) on the ballast resistor
the source should be switched on/off with the ign switch!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 PM
ddsjoseph
Advanced

Default Holley Carb

Thank you Mike
Thank you Jack

I assume the ballast resistor is the small white block between the master cylinder and the distributor on the firewall. I see a red wire leading to it.
I just cant believe how much better the engine is running with this new carburetor. Finally my wife will stop complaining of the "smell". My old carb was runnig rich and fumes just repelled most people away.
The only thing that does not fit now is the air cleaner assembly. It sits too high. There are two screws on top of the carburetor that keep the air cleaner from sitting flush.
I am just wondering if there is some kind of an adapter that could work as a collar to seal the junction between the carburator and the air cleaner?
I read the old archives and realize that people who installed this exact carburator were very happy with its performance.
Your help is very much appreciated
Thanx everyone
Joe
Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsjoseph
I assume the ballast resistor is the small white block between the master cylinder and the distributor on the firewall. I see a red wire leading to it.
Joe
That's it.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you Mike
Thank you Jack

I just cant believe how much better the engine is running with this new carburetor. Finally my wife will stop complaining of the "smell". My old carb was runnig rich and fumes just repelled most people away.
The only thing that does not fit now is the air cleaner assembly. It sits too high. There are two screws on top of the carburetor that keep the air cleaner from sitting flush.
I am just wondering if there is some kind of an adapter that could work as a collar to seal the junction between the carburator and the air cleaner?
I read the old archives and realize that people who installed this exact carburator were very happy with its performance.
Thanx everyone
Joe
If memory serves, there should be no red wire leading to your ballast resistor, one Black-Pink wire comes from the ign sw (you want that one) and the second wire (Black-Pink) runs from the ballast resistor to the coil. Whatever the color wire(s) found on your C2, use the terminal on the ballast resistor where the wire that comes from the ign sw ties in.

as for your carb, my 65 had a Holley Street avenger on it when I acquired the car, and the SHP air cleaner base did not sit right on it without a plastic adaptor that seemed to simply add ~ 1/2 inch to the top of the carb, for clearence purposes.

If this lame-*** site actually had a consistently-working search function (how can it be that the search function is broken so often? Essential info exists in the archives, take some of the G.D. ad revenue and pay a techie to fix it!) you could find some info on that item.

Last edited by ctjackster; 10-08-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
ddsjoseph
Advanced

Thanx Jack. The electric choke works great! The original black and pink wire was exactly where you said it would be. I called the carb supply place and they said that Eddelbrock makes a 1/2 inch spacer. I hope it solves the problem.
Thanks again everyone for your support
Joe
Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you Mike
Thank you Jack

Thanx everyone
Joe
Pick up a repro '67 Corvette 327 air cleaner assembly and it will fit perfectly.

Last edited by ffas23; 10-08-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should not hook anything to your ballast resistor. At least that is what I have been told.

I have my electric fuel pump and choke hooked to it. I do hope to change that as I am restoring now.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:23 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
You should not hook anything to your ballast resistor. At least that is what I have been told.

I have my electric fuel pump and choke hooked to it. I do hope to change that as I am restoring now.
he is not being advised to hook something up to his ballast resistor per se, just to use the 12v side of it to tap into a perfect source of switched (only on when car is running) power. The elec choke pulls low amps, so even if he did hook it up to the "wrong" side of his ballast resistor I doubt anything bad would result, aside from the choke itself possibly not functioning due to the decreased voltage on that side

Last edited by ctjackster; 10-09-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ctjackster
he is not being advised to hook something up to his ballast resistor per say, just to use the 12v side of it to tap into a perfect source of switched (only on when car is running) power. The elec choke pulls low amps, so even if he did hook it up to the "wrong" side of his ballast resistor I doubt anything bad would result, aside from the choke itself possibly not functioning due to the decreased voltage on that side
with ctjackster with hooking it up to the 12 volt supply side of the resistor. No problems will occur there.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ffas23
with ctjackster with hooking it up to the 12 volt supply side of the resistor. No problems will occur there.
Me too. I have a street avenger 770 on my zz454 and have it connected to the 12v supply wire. No problems at all.
Roy
Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

What is the part number to the Carb and where do you get the spacer? I want to put one on my '65? Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
What is the part number to the Carb and where do you get the spacer? I want to put one on my '65? Thanks
Summit Racing has them. Click here to view them. If you need a 3/4" spacer, I have one made by Holley. You can have it for the price of shipping (in the US).
Roy
Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

What is the part number for the Avenger for the 327? Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

You can either use the 0-80570 or 0-80670 on a 327. I would use the 670 on a 327-350hp or higher HP though.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 PM
ddsjoseph
Advanced

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holle...spagenameZWDVW

Try e bay. I got mine from these guys. Great customer service. Rapid shipping and they answer their mail almost instantly. They also carry the spacers.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holle...spagenameZWDVW

Try e bay. I got mine from these guys. Great customer service. Rapid shipping and they answer their mail almost instantly. They also carry the spacers.
You are right this place does have a great deal from what I can see. Can't believe it is only $20.00 more then what I paid for mine 5 years ago shipped to my house. You really can't beat that deal that I know of.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For the 327 Holley Street Avenger 0-80670 - have just bought one the other day

Get notified of new replies

To Holly Street Avenger Electric Choke

Quick Reply: Holly Street Avenger Electric Choke