C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question on how to wire up a internal voltage reg alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question on how to wire up a internal voltage reg alternator.

This question is actually for my 66 Nova SS but I am sure it would be the same as a Vette. The guy I bought my Nova from had started converting the alt. over to the internal voltage reg style. I am getting the car wired up today and trying to get it running but I am missing a wire somewhere. I have the large red wire that get bolted to the alternator and I have a brown wire coming out of the harness, I need to know where that brown wire goes and where the other wire for the other post come from etc. Thanks for all of your help!!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Go to Lectric Limited

They have a pretty cheap ($20 or so) plug-in wiring adaptor to use with your existing harness.

It's almost a no-brainer!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is....the guy I bought the car from already eliminated all of the wires trying to do a 1 wire alternator and messed it all up so all I have to work with is the brown wire that I don't know where it goes and the big red wire that goes to the back and gets bolted on.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:28 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Terminal 1 on the alternator plug goes to the idiot light and then the ignition switch.

terminal 2 should connect into a hot lead some where on your wiring harness away from the battery. Horn relay, other junction block, etc.

Doug
Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like you are using a tampered harness. I believe the brown wire will be for the grounding brush/sense. The original external v/r provided field excitation to the original f spade on the alt. I would check your brown wire for power with batt connected and ign s/w on and off. Should not have power either way, if no power check for resistance with ohm meter; should show resistance. As a temp fix, the 10 ga red wire will connect to the batt terminal on the alt. This should be hot with batt connected. Add a 14/16 ga jumper from the hot 10ga red to the f spade. This provide batt voltage to the internal reg.
See Madd Electrical for proper wiring of the internal reg alt.
brgds
rene

Get notified of new replies

To Question on how to wire up a internal voltage reg alternator.

Quick Reply: Question on how to wire up a internal voltage reg alternator.