C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing the windshield from a 1959

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Ken's67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing the windshield from a 1959

This winter I want to removed the windshield on my '59 so I can have the chrome posts redone. (rechromed) How hard is it to remove it? Does anyone have a step by step process that I can have. Any photos would be great. Once the windshield is removed, what do I need to do the get the chrome side post off the windshield?
Thanks Ken
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

You need an ST-12. Easy to remove. Just lay on your back and remove the nuts. Easy to take apart. Hard part is getting it back together without damaging something.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Ken,
The windshield frame is held to the car with a bunch of studs. You have to remove a bunch of nuts from underneath the dash. Most of them are obvious, several are harder to see:

1) Behind the dash pad/kick panel right at the windshield posts.

2) Obscured by the defroster ducts.

Jeff
Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Ken's67
Instructor

Once the 12 nuts are removed that hold the windshield to the body, will the windshield left straight off? (with two people).
At that time, how are the chrome posts removed? What come apart first?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
jk's 59
Advanced

I just did mine. It is not REAL hard, but not an easy task either. Definitely need an extra set of hands, probably two extras sets when you put it back on.
1) Remove end caps from dash
2) Remove kick panels and dash tray
3) Remove two large nuts on each end of dash, just in front of where the end caps were.
4) Remove the 8-10 nuts from the windshield studs coming through the dash. This is the ones that can be difficult, especially a couple behind the defroster ducts. You may have to remove or loosen the duct on the drivers side, otherwise you will be working blind.
5) At this point the windshield assembly will lift from the car. Depending on how it was put on, gaskets, sealers, etc. it may need a little effort but nothing else is holding it on.
6) To disassemble the windshield assembly, there are two screws on each end on top to remove. You can see them before you remove the windshield from the car. Near the end at the visor. There are two similar screws on each end to remove from the bottom, again at the ends.
7) Now the windshield posts will slide out from the top and bottom frames. Again depending on the assembly, sealers, etc. may need some effort.
8) Take note of how everything came apart, as this is how you will re-assemble. Also take note of the t-bolts on the bottome frame that go through the dash. Again I think there are 8 of them. This is were you need lots of hands when you re-assemble, a couple holding the assembly, a couple guiding the t-bolts through the dash.

Others, jump in and add comments for anything I have left out.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jk's 59
I just did mine. It is not REAL hard, but not an easy task either. Definitely need an extra set of hands, probably two extras sets when you put it back on.
1) Remove end caps from dash
2) Remove kick panels and dash tray
3) Remove two large nuts on each end of dash, just in front of where the end caps were.
4) Remove the 8-10 nuts from the windshield studs coming through the dash. This is the ones that can be difficult, especially a couple behind the defroster ducts. You may have to remove or loosen the duct on the drivers side, otherwise you will be working blind.
5) At this point the windshield assembly will lift from the car. Depending on how it was put on, gaskets, sealers, etc. it may need a little effort but nothing else is holding it on.
6) To disassemble the windshield assembly, there are two screws on each end on top to remove. You can see them before you remove the windshield from the car. Near the end at the visor. There are two similar screws on each end to remove from the bottom, again at the ends.
7) Now the windshield posts will slide out from the top and bottom frames. Again depending on the assembly, sealers, etc. may need some effort.
8) Take note of how everything came apart, as this is how you will re-assemble. Also take note of the t-bolts on the bottome frame that go through the dash. Again I think there are 8 of them. This is were you need lots of hands when you re-assemble, a couple holding the assembly, a couple guiding the t-bolts through the dash.

Others, jump in and add comments for anything I have left out.

Take photos of the fit where the pieces meet for future reference. Other things to check while the frame is apart and out of car:
1.) Does the stainless need polishing or does it have any dents or extra holes?
2.) Do you need a new dash pad?
3.) Is the glass correct and date coded?

Get new windshield gasket, shims, and hardware for reinstallation. And use a good chrome shop that doesn't over-grow the windshield posts. Assembly is a bit tougher than dissassembly!

When reassembling block the lower part of the frame to avoid cracking or chipping the windshield with the frame mounting studs. When installing the frame, get all the nuts started, then tighten a little at a time working from the center out towards the ends.

May also want to be very careful of the possibility of pulling paint around the frame area. Lots of odd stuff has been used to install windshield frames in the past.... like glue, caulk, sealant, etc. This stuff can pull paint if you are not careful when lifting the frame free from its grasp.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:55 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Default windshield posts

Like the others have stated, the process really isn't too difficult. I did notice that nobody mentioned the fact that the possibility of either one or both of the main windshield posts are subject to damage. They tend to break near the bottom of the post and usually remain un-observed until you remove the windshield. When I pulled mine, both of my main posts were damaged. Not really a big deal, because there are ways to repair them before they are re-chromed.

Good luck, Pat
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I only went through 3 of them getting it together and back on the car....
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
BAGPUS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Ken's67
Once the 12 nuts are removed that hold the windshield to the body, will the windshield left straight off? (with two people).
At that time, how are the chrome posts removed? What come apart first?
Hi

I live in England and have imported a 1959 C1 Corvette can i ask in order to fit a new front end do i have to remove the body from the chassis

DAVE

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the windshield from a 1959

Quick Reply: Removing the windshield from a 1959