C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

rear end whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:48 PM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end whine

Just wondering if it normal to get a little rear end whine. 64 327/ 365 all stock 370 gears. Hoping to hear thats the way chevy built them. If not the case any hints to what should be done. Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear end whine is an indication of a problem (in your case probably just old parts that are getting a little worn ,like the ring and pinion mesh.).have the fluid level checked and changed adding some limited slip additive ,and then go from there.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

No, it is not normal, especially in those years.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

My '65 makes no noise. My '63 has a very slight whine to it. I don't plan on taking any action to "fix" the '63. A very slight noise will probably run for years with no problems. My biggest problem is I don't like gear noise.

If yours makes enough noise your passengers can easily hear it, maybe you should consider looking at it.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

If original then probably worn parts and a rebuild is the way to go. If rebuilt then some aftermarket gears do whine,some more then others.
The thing with the 63-66 differentials is the carrier inside dimensions are tighter then the later models. This requires the use of a single shim vs the steel shims used in the rebuild kits. If it was rebuilt then one possibility could be the backlash is out of spec. Those thin shims should be ground to size but some may just be setting them up close?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
rear end whine is an indication of a problem (in your case probably just old parts that are getting a little worn ,like the ring and pinion mesh.).have the fluid level checked and changed adding some limited slip additive ,and then go from there.
are you referring to the car or its owner
Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Pinion can cause this if pre-load is incorrect. During acceleration, the pinion drives the ring gear, which in turn drives the wheels. When decelerating, the ring gear drives the pinion. What I have always understood was if the gears are whining when decelerating, the pinion is too loose. If the gears are whining when accelerating, the pinion is too tight. Hope I remembered that correctly!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both. But if it were the car would a liitle whine hurt anything. Its been running fine just dont want to do a lot of damage if I can avoid it..
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

"a liitle whine hurt anything."

It's hard to quantify "a little". A little to you may be a lot to me. A little to me, I wouldn't get dirty trying to fix it and never worry about it. Others, who insist on the hood, doors and deck lid flyin' up everytime they hit the driveway would look at this as a golden opportunity to spend money and screw up something else while fixing something that wasn't broken.

I ran a 5.14 gear on the drag strip for three years that howled so bad you couldn't stand to ride in the car on the road. On drive and coast. Yet, it never broke on the track. The noise wasn't any different from the time it went in the car until I quit using it. I didn't put it in. I didn't see it put in. It was free and a Chevrolet mechanic installed it for almost free. But, it didn't get any worse.

If you're the only one who can hear it, forget it if it's a "whine". If it's a "growl" you need to address it as that's a bearing going bad.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
"a liitle whine hurt anything."

If you're the only one who can hear it, forget it if it's a "whine". If it's a "growl" you need to address it as that's a bearing going bad.
I agree. Also the other statement on the pinion. If too loose the pinion will hit the posi case as well. This can happen if the pinion seal is replaced and the correct load not placed on the nut again.

I built the diff in my 72 last year and had a whine it at 65 mph. everything in it was new and after 800 miles I had enough of it. I pulled it out and found nothing wrong inside, was a bad gear set. Replaced them with 336's and it's fine. There is a little whine in it that only hear but that is typical with aftermarket performance sets. Passengers never pick up on it, just me.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Ron Scarboro
Heel & Toe

Apologies, as I am a newbie...

I have a 63 SWC and have the following judgmental question...

Should I hear any gear whine? When I accelerate, am running with clutch engaged (load) and decelerate I hear a whine, when I press the clutch it goes away. Most noticeable at 40-60 mph.

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ron Scarboro
Apologies, as I am a newbie...

I have a 63 SWC and have the following judgmental question...

Should I hear any gear whine? When I accelerate, am running with clutch engaged (load) and decelerate I hear a whine, when I press the clutch it goes away. Most noticeable at 40-60 mph.

Thanks,
Hard to tell if you have normal wear and tear or something really wrong.

I would say you shouldn't have ANY gear noise when you accelerate, but after this many years, how much is too much? On the other hand, somebody could have been in there and changed gears and if they did, you shouldn't hear anything with OEM gears. Noise on decel is common if you have worn pinion bearings.

If it is annoying loud, I'd do something.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hard to tell if you have normal wear and tear or something really wrong.

I would say you shouldn't have ANY gear noise when you accelerate, but after this many years, how much is too much? On the other hand, somebody could have been in there and changed gears and if they did, you shouldn't hear anything with OEM gears. Noise on decel is common if you have worn pinion bearings.

If it is annoying loud, I'd do something.
with Mike, it should not whine, 1st i'd change out the fluid and inspect it for filings or debris that should tell you if you have a problem starting ....
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

it's whining because it needs to be rebuilt, and it's in pain! :

Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
it's whining because it needs to be rebuilt, and it's in pain! :

Most likely true but unless the noise was annoying, rebuilding that gear wouldn't be very high on my "to do" list.

They can be making a little noise and still run for years and years. The OP may want to know that in case he is a little short of funds.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Most likely true but unless the noise was annoying, rebuilding that gear wouldn't be very high on my "to do" list.

They can be making a little noise and still run for years and years. The OP may want to know that in case he is a little short of funds.
Very true, my old 56 is STILL waiting for a rebuild, and it's been whining for years. It'll be done with the motor/trans transplant, hopefully this summer.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

"Whine" is heavily subjective. These old cars are just noisy and a little meaningless difference in tolerances in things can create some whine that will never hurt a thing.
Good thing you guys don't drive an original Detroit 'lockers'... I'm with Mike...I wouldn't
start ripping into something because it isn't as quiet as my Escalade.

Get notified of new replies

To rear end whine

Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

My guess would be a pinion bearing or worn ring/pinion. Does the car whine in accel as well as decel or just decel? Is the diff case full of fluid? I would live with it, as the tear down and the rebuild is a lot of work, especially without the right tools and the absence of a lift.

If you decide that is the route you are going to go, be prepared to refurb your cross member and strut rod bushings. Look hard at your axle shaft u-joints, too. Depending where your car has lived, both shock mounting brackets may have to be replaced as well as your camber bolts.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 05-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let it run until the sound changes...
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Ron Scarboro
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
My guess would be a pinion bearing or worn ring/pinion. Does the car whine in accel as well as decel or just decel?
It whines on both. Makes the most noise at 40-60mph. The noise goes away if you depress the clutch and relents if you're going slightly downhill (drivetrain unloaded from power). At 50mph you have to raise your voice and at anything over 40mph it is loud enough to dwarf the exhaust note.

Is the diff case full of fluid? I would live with it, as the tear down and the rebuild is a lot of work, especially without the right tools and the absence of a lift.
Diff is full of fluid. I have a lift, looks like a pain in the butt to get in and out.

If you decide that is the route you are going to go, be prepared to refurb your cross member and strut rod bushings. Look hard at your axle shaft u-joints, too. Depending where your car has lived, both shock mounting brackets may have to be replaced as well as your camber bolts.
Sounds like something for a professional. Does anyone know a knowledgeable vintage Vette shop/guy in the Raleigh, NC area?

Thanks,

Ron

Quick Reply: rear end whine