C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C2 Suspension Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C2 Suspension Upgrade Help

Hello, I have a 65 vert. I'd like to upgrade the suspension (front and back) to something more modern. I'd like to replace the entire chassis with something like the Street Shop chassis with C4 suspension but I dont have the budget for that. My question is, can anyone recommend some companies that specialize in similar suspension upgrades for a stock 65 chassis? Does the front mono-spring conversion from Vette Brakes work well? Any recommendations to get me started will help! Thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

I installed the VBP front system and am happy with results. NOTE: mine is a driver not a racer so your expectations/results my vary.

The swap was easy and on the plus side up/down (stance) adjustment is easy and you have 4 settings (mild to very hard) adjustment on the spring. Down side = turning radius is greater then stock

Here is ===>> My Install

Hope this helps

George
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 AM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default Suspension Upgrade

We manufacture a wide variety of suspension upgrade systems. We can make your '65 ride like a C-5.

We offer all forum members a 10% discount. We will be having a brake sale in November and our annual suspension sale in December.

Please feel free to contact me directly at pattie@vbandp.com. We can set you up in just the right system to fit your driving style, what you hope to accomplish and fit it in your budget.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Pattie
VBP
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

I should have stated that I really dont like the look of the front mono-spring, although I havent completely ruled it out. I was thinking more like aftermarket a-arms and coil-overs. thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salty_waders
I should have stated that I really dont like the look of the front mono-spring, although I havent completely ruled it out. I was thinking more like aftermarket a-arms and coil-overs. thanks!
Yeah, that mono-spring front end design must be over 20 years old. It looks cobbled with all the shackles and bolts hanging down.

Why no new stuff? There are great options for Chevelles, Camaros and even 55-57 Chevys. Why are the Vettes left out, swinging in the wind?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the VBP front monospring setup -- complete with their upper and lower A-arms. I agree with Black Magic in all respects. It handles great, I'm just wondering what change there would be, if any, by adding their crossbrace between the upper A arms.

Seaside....there are lots and lots of Camaros, Chevelles, and Tri-5 Chevys running around and the owners like to modify them. There aren't very many C2s left, and almost everyone wants to make them factory stock. So there's no return on investment in modern suspension R&D for them.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilover system here....

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...formsearch.cfm
Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LB66383
There aren't very many C2s left, and almost everyone wants to make them factory stock. So there's no return on investment in modern suspension R&D for them.
That's an assumption that may not be founded in market research.

Look how many people convert 63s and 64s to disk brakes for example. What about the market for 5 speed transmission conversions? And A/C systems.

Consider the entire replacement chassis that are available. There is more than one company making them.

There are probably hundreds or even thousands of classic Corvette owners looking for practical bolt-in suspension upgrades. I am one of them.

Last edited by Seaside63; 11-02-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The biggest C-2/3 handling problems were fixed by Chevy with changes to the rear suspension (C-4). Racers figured it out about the same time. It has to do with improving toe control at the rear. If you are really serious about an upgrade, look at 5 link rear suspension set-ups. Guldstrand used to make a kit. Seems like I've seen a few conversions that put a C-4 rear end in a C-2/3, too.

Next would be improving bump-steer (again managing toe change) in the front. Kits are also available in racing circles for this..

The changes to plastic springs (or coil-overs) will probably help ride and unsprung wieght. Just don't expect your car to handle like a C-4, C-5 or C-6 when you get done...

Try this link: http://www.guldstrandmotorsports.com...?idCategory=54

Last edited by 66since71; 11-02-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Guldstrand link
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 PM
ladams1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 supension upgrade

I am a recent purchaser of a C2 1965 Vette Roadster. I was not expecting it to drive well and was surprised how quiet and easy the car handeled. I had a 1960 Vette for awhile and it was exciting to drive but not very well mannered. This C2 felt better and I was not sure why. I have always liked the apperance of the 1963-1967 Corvettes so I was not concerned about handling only the appearance and gentle cruising.

I have a mechanic who works on my most of my cars. I am having him look things over and freshen the motor. I also asked him about the handling. It told me the leaf springs are mono design and plastic of sorts. This makes the car give a better ride without a clunk or squeak.

Most people on this forum have more Corvette experience than I, so I only get a small vote. The car does not handle like a Porsche or a Ferrari, but it is damn good, surprisingly good.

I am trying to keep the '65 as orginal as possible and it is. The mono springs may hurt value but they are definelty an improvement.

Lee

FYI My other cars are

2007 Porsche 911 CAB
2006 Ferrari F430 F1
2006 Lotus Sport (#8 of 50 purposely built racing cars)
2005 Ford GT
1965 427 Shelby Cobra (Hunter kit)
1966 327/350 Corvette Roadster
2007 BMW R 1200RT
2007 HD Softtail Custom

Last edited by ladams1; 11-02-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like the mono spring in the rear but not the front. I just personally don't like the look of the front mono spring. I would go with upgraded control arms in front first. You should also keep all the original stuff as someday you may want to switch back and also to keep the stock parts will help re-sale value. My 1 cent worth
Old 11-03-2007, 12:34 AM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed some Q1-A semi-coilovers on the front of my '66 and I like the look and ease of adjustment they give me. I'm going to go with a dual adjustable monoleaf and a set of smart struts in the rear. I also went with the poly bushings and so far I really like it.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

For less than $1000, you can add semi-coilovers in the front (I used Speed Direct units, Van Steel also makes them), and a fiberglass spring (I used VBP 360#) in the rear. IMO, the best bang for the buck in handling and ride improvements.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

For the back I did the poly bushings and the glass spring and they produced the same good results as they have in the past. However this time I added the dragvette spacer conversion kit that takes all of the angle out of the strut rods.

The result was an awesome improvement in cornering besides reducing the stress from launching with DR's

It was relatively inexpensive and just switching back to "street" tires you are ready for autocross or road racing

Doug
Old 11-03-2007, 04:17 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
However this time I added the dragvette spacer conversion kit that takes all of the angle out of the strut rods.
Doug
Hey Shurshot, where did you buy the dragvette spacer conversion?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Hi pletner

If you look up dragvette.com you will get his site and you can order directly from him. He uses the struts and spring bolts from vettebrakes and you will not be sorry for doing the conversion.

BTW I also installed the suspension locater and aluminum pinion snubber from Toms differentials

Doug
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 AM
drivun
Instructor

I love my VBP monoleafs (FR&RR) ! With only two runs and manual steering, I posted in the top 3rd of the autocrossers on the Hot Rod Power Tour in Evansille- see page 48 of Novembers Hot Rod for an action shot. Friends with MiniCooper S's and C5's have been very impressed circling Road Atlanta. I'll be adding a z28 spoiler and the monoleaf look will disappear. steve

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Suspension Upgrade Help

Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 66since71
The biggest C-2/3 handling problems were fixed by Chevy with changes to the rear suspension (C-4). Racers figured it out about the same time. It has to do with improving toe control at the rear. If you are really serious about an upgrade, look at 5 link rear suspension set-ups. Guldstrand used to make a kit. Seems like I've seen a few conversions that put a C-4 rear end in a C-2/3, too.
The VB&P dual-mount rear spring has some of the C-4 design benefits, as the monospring mounts in the same way as the later factory chassis - with two separate mount points. It's a bit more work to install than a regular monospring, though, and you have to drill four big holes in the crossmember.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Slick64
Racer

I'm looking at the Vansteel SB Advanced Street & Slalom Kit. Any pros or cons on this setup? Is it an advantage over a front mono setup?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Default C2 upgrades

I have a '64 and still have the original small block and drum brakes. The car was converted to big block. 509 Dart aluminum roller motor w/ 700 hp, 5 core radiator, runs 170-180. Vette Brakes C-5 disc brakes front and back. I want to know if anyone has done coil overs and if they feel it was worth it. Seems to me the rear mono spring conversion would be worth it but can't see how much benefit the front would be. Already has A arms and gymkata springs, koni gas shocks and 1" anti-roll bar. Anyone out there done this on a C2 small or big block?

Quick Reply: C2 Suspension Upgrade Help