C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Seatbelt Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 04:48 PM
Brian67Coupe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt Upgrade

I don't fell very safe in my car with only lap belts (might be my driving :D ). Any suggestions for shoulder harnesses or 5 point racing harness?

Whats the best way to mount the system?

I have a '67 coupe. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2001, 07:18 PM
olredalert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Seatbelt Upgrade (Brian67Coupe)

Brian,

-----If you are that worried,you should probably consider a roll-bar.Then you would at least have somewhere to hang the harness.You can use the regular pick-up points on either side for the belt,but the rear pick-up probably couldnt use the factory harness points because they are too far to the outside,and the strength is a little problematic................Bill S
Old 11-23-2001, 10:46 PM
Brian67Coupe
Advanced

Default Re: Seatbelt Upgrade (olredalert)

I really hate to put in a roll bar and loose the little room that I have now (I'm tall), but I may have to do just that. Seen too many films of accidents with only lapbelts... :eek:

Brian
Old 11-23-2001, 11:16 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Brian -
I would also like to put a shoulder strap system in my 63 Coupe even though I don't plan to drive hard enough to need a roll bar. I've wondered if I could mount a pair of shoulder straps for the driver's side to a bolt through the floor and into a frame piece aft of the tool wells. I was hoping someone who had done something like that might step forward to give some advice.
Tom
Old 11-24-2001, 11:39 AM
Brian67Coupe
Advanced

Default Re: Seatbelt Upgrade (kellsdad)

Kellsdad,
I've been thinking the same thing. There's a guy not far from here that builds race cars. I think I'll stop by and talk to him next week and see if he has any suggestions. I'll let you know what I find out.

I don't plan on driving real hard very often either. I'm not worried as much about my driving as I am about other's.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:54 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a set of 3 point seat belts in my 64 and I think it is the way to go. I found a set in the salvage yard from a 92 Pulsar And with a little work they were installed. The receiver end needs to be ridged like a section of cable so they stay above the seat. The ones I purchased bolted right to the existing seat belt holes on the drive line tunnel. Mount the winder/lock behind the seat to the bird cage behind the 1/4 panel. Cut an opening in the 1/4 panel to go around the winder/lock. Mount the shoulder mount to the bird cage between the rear window and door. Make a 3" square steel plate and weld a nut to it and slide it up under the opening to the point you want to mount the retainer, drill a hole in that spot and bolt the retainer to it and now you have a set of three point seat belts. Good luck.
Billy

Old 11-25-2001, 02:07 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: Seatbelt Upgrade (kellsdad)

You could probably install a fairly modern belt system in a coule - like the type used in seventies vintage GM
cars - a fixed female buckle on the inboard side of the seat cushions with a reel-lup up belt (male buckle) on the
outside. This belt could loop over a guide attached to the birdcage behind the door window.

Of course, you'd have to penetrate the halo panel to get the guide attached to the birdcage, but you would
have a modern three point system.

As far as actual strength, who knows. Cars weren't crash tested in '63. The outboard seat belt mounting is just
a gussetplate riveted to the floor pan - doesn't even attach to the frame. The inboad belt gusset plate is actually attached to
a frame bracket via a rubber cushion that most confuse for a body mount. Later mid years have cable reinforements to
the frame.

I think the first model year to be crash tested into barriers were the '68s, so they actually got some data on
how the restraints performed in a crash. Prior to that is was just "engineering intuition", which is to say, a (hopefully) educated guess.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:02 PM
midyearinterest
Instructor

Your 67 should have the anchor points for the shoulder belts which were an option for that year. LICOR and Paragon have the belts(mucho $$!). The plates should be in the on the verticle sides of the rear compartment with the open thread under the carpeting about mid level. If you peel back the carpet at this point you should see the plug where the thread opening is. You can also look in the rear wheel wells and at the top inboard of each tire to see the back of the plate. Its a bolt in operation with cutting an X in the carpet to access the thread. My 66 has the plates and I am waiting on my back ordered belts :sleep: Keeping a 67 original with an original option should be pretty easy. Good lluck

Get notified of new replies

To Seatbelt Upgrade

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Upgrade