C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Greg Wyatt Auto Sales/Vintage Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:16 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Greg Wyatt Auto Sales/Vintage Corvettes

I was looking at cars on his site and all cars look real nice and clean. Has anyone purchased a car from him? How were the dealings? I am sure that as nice as they all looked they are priced accordingly. As usual thanks for the input.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
steve58
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called once on a '58 about 3 years ago and from what I heard then, the going price for any of his cars is mid 100,000 and up. Excellent looking cars, but don't go there looking for a bargain-but do go if you are looking for a complete, ready-to-go, already-judged show car. He only has top of the line cars. If nothing else, I use his site to look at certain finishes on certain years since you can see how the car should look if getting it ready for judging.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is only a few miles from me. Top of the line cars is all he deals with. I've never heard a bad word spoken or written about him.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:25 PM
zadspal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Greg and his wife both and they are as first class as the cars he sells. I have never bought or sold anything with Greg. However I have been involved in a few restorations that Greg bought from a friend of mine and so I witnessed the transactions. Greg is the type of person that is firm on his prices but stands behind what he sells. One car that I know of had a minor transmission issue after the car had sold. Greg transported it from (I think south Alabama) pulled the transmission had it fixed and then shipped the car back to the owner with no questions ask. How's that for service? His cars are all clean and honestly described. His cars are pricey but remember the old saying we all know so well "You get what you pay for". I wouldn't hesitate to run out on a limb with Greg, he is trustworthy. I hope you find what you are looking for and if you deal with Vintage Corvette's I'm sure you will be pleased with the quality. Let me know if I can help with an inspection or anything else. Grey Ghost is also local to Greg and maybe could help you be more confident with your decision.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Fred Zerk
7th Gear

Default I advise it's still probably 'buyer beware'

I have (maybe had) exactly the same impression as others have posted here.....only the best cars.

That is until something happened recently that makes me wonder.........

It was in the middle of October that a very nice looking midyear caught my eye on the Dupont registry site. It was listed as NCRS show quality by a dealer of ultra expensive (mostly red ) foreign sports cars not too far from Vintage Corvettes. Anyway after learning as much as I could from talking on the phone (including to the previous owner who traded it in), I went for a looksee.

It was indeed a very highly detailed, clean, correct appearing car, but contrary to what I had been told by the PO, it needed some body work (a rear bumper attachment was pulled out through the body), it needed paint work (scratches on fenders, etc, ?haze? in clear coat on one fender). The kicker was when I was just leaving their lot to begin my test drive I saw the oil pressure gage showed 15 psi @ 1500 rpm even though the engine was not fully warmed up. The test drive was aborted, and the next day they had a tech put a known calibrated oil pressure gage on......he called me to report the oil pressure was 17-20 psi @ 2000 hot. (The AMA spec is 40-45 psi @ 2000 hot.) When I first looked it was also apparent the valve covers had been removed since the engine was painted.....later I wonndered if maybe someone was trying to diagnose the low oil pressure?? I didn't feel they moved enough on the price considering the work required to straighten the car out, so I passed on it.

Guess where the car is now??????????

I called to see what fixes were planned but the engine was not mentioned. And the bumper problem had not been noticed either (to be fair I called within a couple of days from when they bought it.....but still, not noticed on a car they were already listing as an "NCRS show quality" car??). I guess it's buyer beware wherever you shop.

This may be an isolated incident, or maybe everything has been fixed by now......I don't know.

Regards,
Fred
Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 PM
zadspal
Racer

Originally Posted by Fred Zerk
I have (maybe had) exactly the same impression as others have posted here.....only the best cars.

That is until something happened recently that makes me wonder.........

It was in the middle of October that a very nice looking midyear caught my eye on the Dupont registry site. It was listed as NCRS show quality by a dealer of ultra expensive (mostly red ) foreign sports cars not too far from Vintage Corvettes. Anyway after learning as much as I could from talking on the phone (including to the previous owner who traded it in), I went for a looksee.

It was indeed a very highly detailed, clean, correct appearing car, but contrary to what I had been told by the PO, it needed some body work (a rear bumper attachment was pulled out through the body), it needed paint work (scratches on fenders, etc, ?haze? in clear coat on one fender). The kicker was when I was just leaving their lot to begin my test drive I saw the oil pressure gage showed 15 psi @ 1500 rpm even though the engine was not fully warmed up. The test drive was aborted, and the next day they had a tech put a known calibrated oil pressure gage on......he called me to report the oil pressure was 17-20 psi @ 2000 hot. (The AMA spec is 40-45 psi @ 2000 hot.) When I first looked it was also apparent the valve covers had been removed since the engine was painted.....later I wonndered if maybe someone was trying to diagnose the low oil pressure?? I didn't feel they moved enough on the price considering the work required to straighten the car out, so I passed on it.

Guess where the car is now??????????

I called to see what fixes were planned but the engine was not mentioned. And the bumper problem had not been noticed either (to be fair I called within a couple of days from when they bought it.....but still, not noticed on a car they were already listing as an "NCRS show quality" car??). I guess it's buyer beware wherever you shop.

This may be an isolated incident, or maybe everything has been fixed by now......I don't know.

Regards,
Fred
Fred, I have known Greg to buy cars that need work on them. He will either fix/repair the problem or disclose it in the deal. If you are a serious buyer you should have told Greg about your knowledge of this car and been upfront with him. It sounds to me like you know cars pretty well and you might could help him out by telling him this. I have seen people in the past have knowledge of something and play dumb just to see what the seller will say. Heck! I've had it done to me. Are you still looking for a Corvette? If so let the forum know and maybe we can help you find what you are looking for.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Fred Zerk
7th Gear

Default I told him.

Originally Posted by zadspal
Fred, I have known Greg to buy cars that need work on them. He will either fix/repair the problem or disclose it in the deal. If you are a serious buyer you should have told Greg about your knowledge of this car and been upfront with him. It sounds to me like you know cars pretty well and you might could help him out by telling him this. I have seen people in the past have knowledge of something and play dumb just to see what the seller will say. Heck! I've had it done to me. Are you still looking for a Corvette? If so let the forum know and maybe we can help you find what you are looking for.
I DID tell him, but it wasn't made clear to me they'd fix (or at least look at) the engine oil pressure problem, and by that time I'd already decided that wasn't the car for me.....I got the other dealer significantly below where it is now, but that still was a little too high for me for a car w/o history / documentation, needing body and paint work, etc. I don't know, maybe I'm being too conservative, but my thinking was that if the oil pressure was 20 psi low, it may well indicate a need for a complete engine rebuild rather that simply a new oil pump......

Water under the bridge.....I have a deposit on a '67 coupe right now.......I'll post a full report as soon as I get it home and really go over it thoroughly.

Regards,
Fred

Last edited by Fred Zerk; 12-16-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
zadspal
Racer

Fred, I do understand your position. I hope you are happy with your new toy. I'm a straight axle person but the 67 vette will always be a favorite. That was my first car! Marina blue convertible 350 horse. Good Luck and I can't wait to see your pictures.

Last edited by zadspal; 12-17-2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I'm just dumb and can't spell Chit!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:22 PM
vcubellis
Advanced

Default Greg Wyatt vintage corvettes

I have known Greg for a long time. In my opinion he is an excellent dealer to work with. He buys the very best quality ncrs worthy cars. I sold him cars and purchased cars from him sight unseen. He is very knowledgeable and first class all the way. His cars are exactly what he says they are. I can be emailed at vcubellis@yahoo. Com any time and will tell you about Greg. Remember one thing for sure in the end you get what you pay for.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Mjfloyd1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

This is nearly a 10 year old thread...
The following 2 users liked this post by Mjfloyd1:
BR69 (06-20-2017), Chuck Gongloff (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjfloyd1
In light of that, I also go to Greg's web site to look at the Top Flight/Bloomington Gold/Bow Tie survivors if I have any questions about a restoration project I'm working on.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:45 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 791 Likes on 331 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Old 06-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Yep

Get notified of new replies

To Greg Wyatt Auto Sales/Vintage Corvettes

Quick Reply: Greg Wyatt Auto Sales/Vintage Corvettes