C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How can you shrink a loose conv. top?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 12:59 PM
stngry63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can you shrink a loose conv. top?

The convertible top is not tight enough across the top. It balloons at speed. I would rather not pull the staples at the header to adjust it. Years ago I bought some cheap top cleaner that unexpectedly shrunk the top on another car. I can't remember the name. Does anybody have any suggestions or know of any products?
Old 11-26-2001, 02:07 PM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Default Re: How can you shrink a loose conv. top? (stngry63)

It balloons at speed.
I think this is an inherent design flaw with these cars, someone
correct me if I'm wrong. There are no attachment points for the top
to the mid frame to prevent this from happening.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:33 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

You may not realize it, but the conv top on practically EVERY convertible on planet Earth has this happen at speed, ESPECIALLY when the windows are rolled up!
Also, I'd be real careful about shrinking, or, tightening the conv top on a Corvette. Over the years, the new top which I installed on my 56 has shrunk so much, that I can not now latch the rear latches because it is so tight (if I latch the latches at the windshield frame, and then try to latch the rear latches, it will pull the frame away from the glass).
Old 11-26-2001, 06:18 PM
Ron04,02,96,64
Drifting

As someone else said, virtually ALL convertible tops will balloon at speed at least a little so don't think you can eliminate that. If your top is not super loose, one thing you might try (no guarantees but should cause no harm) is to wash it good, and leave it wet after rinsing and then let stand all day in hot sunshine. I've seen a couple of tops where this worked to some degree. One was not done intentionally and the other was. It should definitely tighten up at least a little, whether enough remains to be seen.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:20 PM
Cliff63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

The convertible top is not tight enough across the top. It balloons at speed. I would rather not pull the staples at the header to adjust it. Years ago I bought some cheap top cleaner that unexpectedly shrunk the top on another car. I can't remember the name. Does anybody have any suggestions or know of any products?
stngry63,
Send me an e-mail. We can talk as I am in Nastyville, also. :D
Old 11-26-2001, 08:13 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: How can you shrink a loose conv. top? (Dirty)

Let us know if you find the name of the magic product. I stretch the hell out of the top when installing it. Then I can run hard in the sun to stretch it, (if it is needed). I adjust the vent windows and/or door windows at high speed to keep the top from balooning (especially if the fresh air vents are open).

dzauto is correct about aging. When I got my car, the top was old and 2 or 3 inches short of being latched down at the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To How can you shrink a loose conv. top?

Quick Reply: How can you shrink a loose conv. top?