C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

First Start with EFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Default First Start with EFI

I'm finally to the point where I think it's time to try to fire the motor with the Accel DFI. Anyone gone through an initial fire with the EFI that has some tips on what procedures to use?

Thanks - Greg
Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i don't mean to sound facetious, but if you've checked to see all the bolts are tight, the wires are properly connected and have run the fuel pump to see that you have no leaks; turn the key...
Bill
Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wmf62
i don't mean to sound facetious, but if you've checked to see all the bolts are tight, the wires are properly connected and have run the fuel pump to see that you have no leaks; turn the key...
Bill
Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm sure you know that you will have to have a baseline tune loaded in to the the ECM. You can probably find something close to your engine on the net to download a program. Then monitor and go from there. If Doug chimes in I'm sure he can better help, he just went through this with his 427 SB.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:02 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I have the Accel DFI. Just recently got my car started. I started with the 383 EFI base line maps and adjusted from there. It just fired up, was a bit rich for what I needed, but you can adjust the A/F ratio map as needed. I am taking the car to a chassis dyno to do the high speed A/F ratio tuning.

Did you use the dual output distributor from Accel? That is what I used.

Show some photos of your motor.....

here is mine...

I put the computer behind the passenger kick panel, even put the coil on the inside of the passenger compartment on the transmission hump and then used MSD firewall pass through coil wire so that pretty much the engine compartment is very clean of "extra" things.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:36 PM
GregP
Drifting

The base map was generated and loaded by the shop that did the EFI conversion of the Hilborn 8-stack intake. I need to get a USB to RS232 converter before I can hook my laptop to the computer since the Calmap hookup is for RS232 and my laptop doesn't have any of those ports, only USB. I'm planning to have it tuned on the chassis dyno, but that has to wait for a driveshaft.

There are pictures of the engine on my web pages, click the link in my signature.

-Greg
Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Turn the key.

if it starts, set the timing.

I am sure your program has a timing lock feature that won't allow any vacuum/MAP or centrifugal/RPM advance parameters to initialize. make sure you unlock the timing before attemting to optimize the fuel and spark curves.

Doug
Old 01-13-2008, 03:26 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You might conatct Accel about what serial port to USB converter they recomamnd, not all will work, or rather may not work..

I used a Keyspan mini port replicator for my Delphi MEFI 4b, which is what was recomemnded, as some others won't work.

Doug
Old 01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
GregP
Drifting

I guess my real concern is that if it doesn't start I won't be able to leave it alone until I figure out what is wrong (been there before with the boat motors). I'm considering just trucking it to Tony's and tell them to put it on the chassis dyno and setup and tune it and call me when it's done since I planned all along to have them do the final tuning.

Accel's tech Q&A says the Keyspan UPR-112 seems to work best with their system, although they have since come out with a new direct to USB cable that they use with their latest systems. Of course, that is much more expensive than the port replicator.

I sent a note to the shop that did the original EFI conversion and programming to see if they think it is worth it to flash the ECM to the latest software and get the new interface cable or just go with what I have since most of the new features Accel lists I won't need anyway (like launch control and mult-stage NOS).

Have to wait for my fan belt to arrive and replace the leaking fitting on the remote thermostat housing so I have a few more days to think/worry about it

-Greg
Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure that you have very good grounds to the frame and motor, EFI and fiberglass is not a good mix with out good grounds.
Good luck
Russ
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM
GregP
Drifting

The car is wired with dedicated grounds from every component/system going to a ground junction block, which has a 2 Ga cable to the battery. Nothing "expects" to use the chassis as the ground/return path. The EFI system has it's own ground all the way back to the battery.

-g
Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The UPR-112 is what I use.

if your distrib is correctly installed, it will start if you hooked up the wires right.

What do you ahve to lose? Nothing, except you may save a towing bill.

Doug
Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
GregP
Drifting

A major accomplishment. I was able to borrow a USB/COM adaptor from the electronics guys at work and connect to the ECM. I was able to see the MAP reading, verify the TPS change with throttle, and retrieve the base program from the ECM. I may actually have a shot at getting it to make noise.

-g
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 PM
TopLess62
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
I have the Accel DFI. Just recently got my car started. I started with the 383 EFI base line maps and adjusted from there. It just fired up, was a bit rich for what I needed, but you can adjust the A/F ratio map as needed. I am taking the car to a chassis dyno to do the high speed A/F ratio tuning.

Did you use the dual output distributor from Accel? That is what I used.

Show some photos of your motor.....

here is mine...

I put the computer behind the passenger kick panel, even put the coil on the inside of the passenger compartment on the transmission hump and then used MSD firewall pass through coil wire so that pretty much the engine compartment is very clean of "extra" things.
Originally Posted by GregP
The base map was generated and loaded by the shop that did the EFI conversion of the Hilborn 8-stack intake. I need to get a USB to RS232 converter before I can hook my laptop to the computer since the Calmap hookup is for RS232 and my laptop doesn't have any of those ports, only USB. I'm planning to have it tuned on the chassis dyno, but that has to wait for a driveshaft.

There are pictures of the engine on my web pages, click the link in my signature.

-Greg
You guys are my heros!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
GregP
Drifting

Originally Posted by firstgear
I have the Accel DFI. Just recently got my car started. I started with the 383 EFI base line maps
Where did you find the base maps? I'd like to look at some and compare them to what is in my ECU.

-Greg
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations Greg!

Gordon and sons.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
GregP
Drifting

Gordon, you need to stop over and see it some time.

-Greg

Get notified of new replies

To First Start with EFI

Quick Reply: First Start with EFI