C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Nabers brothers restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
I can try to answer that one since i own a restoration shop. Ultimately
any restoration shop (that has the right talent)can restore a car as well as someone is WILLING to pay for.

Ultimately we wish that everyone of four customers will have the means to allow us to do our best work. Most of the time they do but sometimes due to different factors they fall short. At that point we have to make a decision. Do you kick a customer out of the shop,or do you do your best to accomodate them, knowing that the car will be short of your best work and someone might see it and critique it not knowing the full story???

A 50k restoration cant happen for 10k etc....

Another thing that often happens in our bussiness is having owners that are hands on,and do some work on the car on their own after we are done doing what we were asked to do. At that point the car is still done by us, but if the customer decides to paint his dash hot pink to match his new wheels and it looks stupid,does it still reflect on us to the uninformed spectator???? Probably so, but there isnt much you can do about it.

In our shop we try to accomodate customers as much as possible, helping them in any way we can build a great car.Some times when the funds fall short ,we allow them to take breaks so they can recover a bit and not skimp on the car.We advise patience in car building ,as there are no short cuts to a good job.

Most of the time this works and the results speak for them selves.

Now, the other alternative is not to take any work in that we consider to be below our standards. That only happens if the potential customer is completely un realistic in their expectations pertaining to financing a project.In all other cases we work with the customer to make things work with their budgets and time lines.
If all our customer were billionares it would be easy.However we try to build great cars for everyday people and some times that takes a great effort in money and time management.

I am a car guy first and shop owner second so I will always do my best to educate people on the right and most cost effective way to produce great results on their individual projects.

However what they decide to do on their cars after that is their choice alone.
Just a view from our side of things

Stan
http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com

You sound like a great shop to work on anyones Corvettes. Doing any work on a classic requires alot of trust. Restorations cost alot of money. Would you give us a name & location.
KEN
Old 01-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Chicago Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
the dead give away is is the head light opening. see how the one is te auction is squareish but originals are more round.

Im not trying to put down or say bad things about them. I just dont see how you could restore a car and miss so many things, and then have someone ask top dollar for a 300hp car. I do relize they are not selling the car.
Thanks for the reply, but what am I missing here?

Mine is on the right, other than the poor alignment (on mine) it looks the same to me?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chicago Pete
Thanks for the reply, but what am I missing here?

Mine is on the right, other than the poor alignment (on mine) it looks the same to me?

Mine look exactly like yours.
KEN
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenba

You sound like a great shop to work on anyones Corvettes. Doing any work on a classic requires alot of trust. Restorations cost alot of money. Would you give us a name & location.
KEN

Thank you very much for the compliment. It means a lot.

Our website is

http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com

We restore corvettes and muscle cars. Check it out. Customer service as well as customer education is just as important in our shop as the quality of the workmanship.

You are right in talking about trust. It is something that is extremely important between customer and shop. Our customers trust us with their treasures and their money. That means everything to me as a shop owner.

If a customer has enough respect for us to do that, we have to reciprocate with great workmanship, great customer service as well as making sure that by the end of the restoration, the experience leaves the customer with a great education about their car and a great sence of accomplishment.(as well as a great car to enjoy from then forward)

Regards, Stan
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Nabers Motors
5111 Ashbrook Dr
Houston, TX 77081
(713) 664-1967
That number does'nt work. I think it's a fax number. Do they have a website?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by unreel1967
That number does'nt work. I think it's a fax number. Do they have a website?
713-664-5018. They don't have a web site, their pretty low key
Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
713-664-5018. They don't have a web site, their pretty low key
Spoke with Gary. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Spoke with Gary. Thanks.
Good deal, nice guys.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

they are overpriced and lot of hype in my opinion, any shop with skills and attention to detail can do a quality job, you just have to find one who will take the time.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Dick Whittington
Racer

From the description I would venture to guess that they did the paint only. Ken and Gary are good people, not cheap, but one of the premier shops in the county. I just refered a customer of mine to them.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
They didn't "put their name on it", the place running the auction did.

And again, this isn't a Nabers auction, don't condem Nabers because this place that is selling a car doesn't put trim tag pictures in the auction.

How do we know they restored the whole car? Maybe they did the paint and body work and the owner of the car did the rest but now the auction lists their name in order to get more points with buyers?

I think it's very dangerous to make a judgment based on a single data point, and almost no facts.

If we're going to play that game, then I'll claim that All Nabers work must be almost perfect because after all the Last Stingray scored something like 99.7% at it's first NCRS event.

But that wouldn't be a fair judgment either because again, it's a single data point and I think we know that car was built to the highest standard that people were willing to pay for.
wow do Totally not correct to assume what you are assuming and Nabers work. It's a car on ebay that a seller is trying to make selling points. Ever see anything else on ebay that did not seem correct.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LT1driver
they are overpriced and lot of hype in my opinion, any shop with skills and attention to detail can do a quality job, you just have to find one who will take the time.
Dang, you were'nt kidding! The estimate $$ i got was very pricey. Anyone have an opinion or experiences with C&S restorations or Mr. Jeff Reade (both in Ca.)?
Pardon the hi-jack, but i have an all #s matching '67 w/low mileage (25K) vert with the OM and in need of a full restoration and sure would like to achieve the potential to top-flight.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:52 AM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

I have talked to them they know there stuff, and everyone I have asked about them says there best in the corvette world for a restore job.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Default 53-55 Restoration

If you ever need quality work done on your 53-55, don't hesitate to give me a call or email me. These cars are my specialty. I've never failed at judging and know these cars very well. Especially 53's.

Thanks
Brett Henderson
Blue Flame Restorations
Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

How much was the estimate you received, and what did you expect to pay??? Just curious.
Dang, you were'nt kidding! The estimate $$ i got was very pricey. Anyone have an opinion or experiences with C&S restorations or Mr. Jeff Reade (both in Ca.)?
Pardon the hi-jack, but i have an all #s matching '67 w/low mileage (25K) vert with the OM and in need of a full restoration and sure would like to achieve the potential to top-flight.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Anyone have an opinion or experiences with C&S restorations or Mr. Jeff Reade (both in Ca.)?
Jeff Reade is well-known in the hobby, does excellent work. A full body-off restoration in a commercial shop IS very expensive; figure 1,000 hours at around $75.00 per hour, plus parts, as a minimum. Unless you have really deep pockets, you're always better off buying a car someone else has already had restored; you'll pay for all or part of the restoration, and get the car for free.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Unless you have really deep pockets, you're always better off buying a car someone else has already had restored; you'll pay for all or part of the restoration, and get the car for free. [/QUOTE]

Unless you have very rare Corvette you are way more money ahead buying a done top flighted car as John said. Plus the Corvette is ready to drive or show.
KEN

Get notified of new replies

To Nabers brothers restoration

Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
philip964
Burning Brakes

I had a CA friend come all the way to Houston to have his Corvette redone here. At the time I didnt know who the Nabor brothers were or that they were in Houston. He talked about how lucky I was just to live in the same town as the Nabor bros. I didnt have a clue at the time.

Since then I saw they restored the "last Stingray". So between my friend who likes to show his Corvettes and a 600k winning bid at BJ with a NOM Corvette, I figured they were pretty good.

So if I run my anti-ncrs, color and interior change, fender flared, NOM '63 with a '67 stinger front end over to them and have them do some brake work, can I call it a Nabor Brothers restoration?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by philip964
So if I run my anti-ncrs, color and interior change, fender flared, NOM '63 with a '67 stinger front end over to them and have them do some brake work, can I call it a Nabor Brothers restoration?
Sure! Especially if you put it on eBay!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:41 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Jeff Reade is well-known in the hobby, does excellent work. A full body-off restoration in a commercial shop IS very expensive; figure 1,000 hours at around $75.00 per hour, plus parts, as a minimum. Unless you have really deep pockets, you're always better off buying a car someone else has already had restored; you'll pay for all or part of the restoration, and get the car for free.
Thanks John,
A from you is very comforting. I spoke with Jeff about maybe doing a partial restoration for now (my pockets are'nt very deep). I was thinking of having him restore just the frame/suspension/soft top/repair my rear quarters (i have a pair of Shermershiems) and other misc. stuff. My interior is faded but otherwise in excellent shape so,i could pretty much do the interior myself. Again thanks.

Quick Reply: Nabers brothers restoration