C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Adding a hard top

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Hard Top

Hi

I live in Florida..I have a triple black car..Yes..it get very hot in the summer(I found with the top up its not so bad when you are moving but when you are at a stop light thats a "different story" you are roasting in it)...Yes I bought the car in November..Yes I didnt think I would be sweating my a$$ off in the car...

Unless I was going to spend the money to retrofit A/C unit in the car...I personally thinks its not worth the investiment..Considering I only drive it on the weekends..This is not a regular driver for me..

Best of luck with your desicion!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
k-2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine usually only comes out on the weekends as well. However, I do like to take it to work a couple times a month as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 AM
HouTex1964Vert
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the soft top for ease of use. NOTHING beats the look of a C1/C2.... hell, any vert for that matter, with a hard top. They are SUCH a P.I.T.A., though. I've tried hoists, carts, everything..... My hard top ended up being conveniently sealed, packed, and stored in my dad's barn.....
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM
redonred
Instructor

Of all the Corvettes I've owned 6 have been C-1's. Half of those have had both tops and I'm here to tell you that the feel of the car with the hardtop on is completely different than with the soft top up. I love the hard top on my 62'. Storage IS a problem with a normal height garage since the hoists available make passiing under the top a little hazardous. Would I search for a hard top if I didn't have one? They tend to be very pricey - around $3,500 ready to go. BTW, if you buy one that needs to be restored and painted at around $1,200 you have some sticker shock on components to look forward to.

Bottom line - I think hard tops are worth the storage headaches!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Having a hard top and rag top means, as the book sez, like three different vehicles. Go for it.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by wwood95179@aol.com
The Only people who want hard tops are the ones that Don't have them.
Not very true! I had one on my 66, and liked it (but that was Illinois and it was my daily driver back then).

Here is central FL, I like having the top down (that is why I purchased a convert!). Soft top goes up rarely (when caught in the rain).

Trying to get in / out with the top up (or a hard top "on") is difficult.

I have no need for a hard top what so ever. If someone gave me one, I would sell it.

I agree the feel of the Vette is different with a hard top, but then again it is also different with a soft top up, and again with it down. I want my top only for an emergency (rain).

Plasticman
Old 02-01-2008, 06:48 PM
steinboy56
Racer

I love the looks of the hardtop on my 67. My decklid also does not have the holes but the top fits well with the front and side attachments. It can be attached by yourself be it can be tough. There are less rattles with the extra weight of the hardtop. I also like the people who say=="I thought you had a convertable"..
Old 02-01-2008, 10:28 PM
k-2
Advanced

A few of you have mentioned utilizing a hard top without having the deck holes. I may go that route initially and wait till I have the car repainted in a couple of years to have the holes drilled. If my opinion of the mod changes to follow the hard top not worth it crowd I can always try to sell the top and pass on finishing the mod.

Thanks again to all for sharing your opinions and experiences.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I don't use my hard top often but I really like the look. I would not get rid of it.

With

Without

Last edited by Sky65; 02-01-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by k-2
A few of you have mentioned utilizing a hard top without having the deck holes. I may go that route initially and wait till I have the car repainted in a couple of years to have the holes drilled. If my opinion of the mod changes to follow the hard top not worth it crowd I can always try to sell the top and pass on finishing the mod.

No need to wait to drill the holes if you want a hardtop on the car. Mark where the holes are supposed to be and place a piece of tape over the area. Drill slowly and you will have a nice clean hole. Dave
Old 02-02-2008, 06:07 AM
TopLess62
Drifting

Originally Posted by k-2

If you are set on it, drill the holes and install the mounts. It will look fine!

I also love the look of the hard tops, thats why when I sold mine, I took about 30 pics of it first. I just think its a PITA to install and store and I never used it.

Last edited by TopLess62; 02-02-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:24 AM
JPB04619
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

and what about a lift off hardtop that makes your roadster look like a coupe............john b
Old 02-02-2008, 11:30 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JPB04619
and what about a lift off hardtop that makes your roadster look like a coupe............john b
i've seen those... i'll pass.....
Bill
Old 02-02-2008, 01:01 PM
korvette kenny
Instructor

With so many people not using their hard tops, you should be able to buy one right here. Maybe even the correct color.Come on guys, sell this guy a top. You'll never use it right?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
k-2
Advanced

I did get an offer in a PM for an unwanted hardtop. I am waiting on some pictures to see what kind of condition it is in.

I have never seen a hard top to make it look like a coupe that somebody mentioned in the thread. I am not sure how that would look.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by k-2
I have never seen a hard top to make it look like a coupe that somebody mentioned in the thread. I am not sure how that would look.
Like crap... There was one posted on here a while back and it looked cheezy... JMO...
Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
korvette kenny
Instructor

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Like crap... There was one posted on here a while back and it looked cheezy... JMO...
I never saw one of those either but it sounds like a bad idea for sure

Get notified of new replies

To Adding a hard top

Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme

It's funny. Some people want conv. to look like coupes but pay more for it. I never put the hard tops on my Corvettes except when judged at NCRS or BG. Very hard to put on & off without scraching the paint & it wears the paint on the deck without something under it. If you leave it on a long time the conv, top will shrink up. I have 8 or 9 setting in my car barn. What reason would someone want to drive around with a hard top on. Please don't tell me it's driven in the winter snow.
KEN
Old 02-03-2008, 02:54 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When and if you put a hard top on, be prepared for all the new noises you will hear. Tans, throwout bearing, rattles and squeaks that you never hear with the top down.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM
k-2
Advanced

Yeah, I can't imagine trying to make a conv look like a coupe would work out well.

New noises with the hard top on? Sounds like a diagnostic tool to me!

Quick Reply: Adding a hard top