C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

radio console repair/replace C1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio console repair/replace C1

This post is probably a bit long but......

Well, I received lots of great advice regarding the best way to repaint the radio console of my '61 (thanks guys). Now I have to decide upon the best approach to fixing the huge hole that was cut for an aftermarket radio and also the 3 or 4 other small diameter holes that the previous owner punched in the console for who knows what reason.

I asked this question in a previous post last year and the consensus seemed to be to block the hole with wax paper wrapped wood and then fill the hole with fibreglass cloth. Apply multiple layers, grind, fill, sand and paint. Well I've fixed some areas of the cockpit pan with the cloth. Although it turned out OK, the mixing of the resin, etc., left me questioning how well my repair would turn out - especially on an area of the car that is extremely visible (and where any imperfections will really stand out in black paint).

So here's my thinking/question: I can get a new radio console for under $100. I feel that I can cut out the old one pretty carefully and glue in the new one. It seems to me that the cut lines/joints will be hidden by the chrome trim at the bottom and top of the console. I'm more confident of doing that replacement than I am of filling a massive hole with cloth, trying to drill two new radio **** holes in the correct locations and getting it all smooth enough to meet any appreciable standard.

But - what is the best adhesvie/glue to use to install a new piece of fibreglass as I've noted above?
When I cut out the original console, do I have to brace the dash or will it self-support without deforming?

Looking forward to some good recommendations/opinions again. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:52 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

honestly, i would try to fill the holes you have first; then if you don't like it, you can always replace it. i think a very fine, unnoticeable job can be done..
Bill

Quick Reply: radio console repair/replace C1