C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 Ammeter and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 AM
dkjfdx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1964 Ammeter and wiring

I've read all the threads on ammeters in archives for 1964s. I'm starting to think my issue is not the gauge. I've replaced old gauge with new one with same response - the needle barely moves off zero no matter what I do. There is movement but it's nearly imperceptible. Yet, if I touch the poles to an old 1.5 AAA battery, it makes a full swing both ways. It's almost like the wiring has too much resistance and doesn't allow enough voltage to actuate the needle. Could it be something in wiring or shunt. How much will needle normally move during normal operation? Any ideas?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,535 Likes on 3,006 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by dkjfdx
the needle barely moves off zero no matter what I do. There is movement but it's nearly imperceptible. Yet, if I touch the poles to an old 1.5 AAA battery, it makes a full swing both ways. It's almost like the wiring has too much resistance and doesn't allow enough voltage to actuate the needle. Could it be something in wiring or shunt. How much will needle normally move during normal operation? Any ideas?
From reading the threads you know that the "Ammeter" detects the slight drop in Voltage along a heavy wire that runs between the horn relay and the starter solenoid. It connects at each end of this heavy wire via a pair of small gauge wires. The needle should definitely move dramatically to recharge the battery, say, after starting the engine.

A poor connection anywhere between the meter and the two ends of this heavy wire will make it difficult for the meter to sense the Voltage drop. When this happens you get the very slight needle movement you are seeing.

I'd be looking at the connections to the meter, the quality of the crimp connections of the terminals that tie the meter wiring to the horn relay and starter solenoid, and to the connections at the horn relay and starter solenoid.

Jim
Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The two sense wires (to the horn relay and the starter solenoid) both run through the inboard multiple connector on the engine side of the fuse block; if those terminals inside the connector are dirty or corroded, you won't get the kind of gauge response you should.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After following John's advice a while back and cleaning the inboard firewall connector I got a significant difference in the ammeter needle movement.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

These guys are 100% correct, but I'll add one more thing....

Is you alternator working?

Burned out diodes/internal shorts in the alternator might be the cause.

I recently had this problem in my 63, not long after my alternator was rebuilt.

Ammeter wouldn't swing....sent the alternator back.....several burned diodes were the cause. Why? Dunno, but it works fine now.

Chuck
Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM
RandyFM2499
Navigator

Originally Posted by richbopp
After following John's advice a while back and cleaning the inboard firewall connector I got a significant difference in the ammeter needle movement.
I'm having the same trouble with my 63 and I think I will try cleaning these connectors. Any advise or suggestions before I start would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 AM
dkjfdx
Advanced

Cleaning the contacts and connectors was the tickets. The gauge is working fine. Thanks for the tip.

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Ammeter and wiring

Quick Reply: 1964 Ammeter and wiring