C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carroll Shelby drove a SR2 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by john neas
The steering wheel in my SR-2 was purchased fom Corvette Central. The price was moderate. It looks great. It's 15" stock is 17". Less leverage.
Regards
Man that wheel would look great in my '62! Once I get past my **** retentive NCRS phase, I'll have to look into it.

Paul
Old 12-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Jds3660
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
There was (and still is) a forth one .

Are the wheels on the car still original magnesium halibrands, or are they a newer set of repros? What kind/size tire do you have on it right now - it looks like a 6.70-15 on a 15x5.5 or 6 wheel?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Those wheels are TRUE Halibrand knockoffs, but they are the ones they make now and are alum. John's REAL 56 Sebring car has magnesium wheels. John also has examples of the FIRST original style mag wheels, and the later, reinforced (bigger ribs) wheels from Halibrand.

Here is the earlier (translate weaker) Halibrand

And the later, stronger wheel with bigger spokes.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006

The hot set-up for street racing was the '62-'67 Chevy II or Nova with a 327 or larger small block. Most of the time hot Camaros would lose to these light little shoeboxes, and forget anything larger and heavier. The dragging advantage would not show up in magazine road tests because Novas did not have wide or sticky rubber from the showroom.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:18 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

John,
Great information, but it is interesting to note that Bill Howe of Middletown, Ohio picked up his new Airbox Corvette (SN 4007) on May 17, 1957 at the St Louis factory, drove it to Ohio then drove it to Maryland and raced it at Cumberland, MD. on May 19th and came in 3rd behind Shelby.
Lots of great stories about that car which was in a barn 7 miles from my house.
Bruce B

Originally Posted by john neas
Shelby raced one of the 57 Sebring Corvettes at Cumberland in May 1957. He came in second behind Dick Thompson in the factory car. Ebb Rose owned the Bill Mitchell SR-2 which was run at Sebring in 1957. Rumor is that Ed Cole sold the 3 Sebring cars to Ebb for a $1.00. I believe that Ebb drove the SR-2 in that race. Ebb won the SCCA B Mod championship with the SR-2 in 57. Ken Kaysers book has pictures. Old wife tale was that Shelby went to Ford for engines because Chevrolet didn't want to sell to him because they didn't want to supply a competitor of Corvette.
Regards
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Tom,
I attended one of Bob McDormans auctions and while walking through a building filled with parts (for the auction) I came across a set of 5 of the Halibrand wheels, possibly the later design. Also included were front knockoff spindles and 2 original axles with knockoffs.
I mentally agreed on a high price to bid on the wheels and never got to make a bid. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ To much for my wallet or credit card.
One of the auction staff told me they would look great POLISHED, not!!
Bruce B

Those wheels are TRUE Halibrand knockoffs, but they are the ones they make now and are alum. John's REAL 56 Sebring car has magnesium wheels. John also has examples of the FIRST original style mag wheels, and the later, reinforced (bigger ribs) wheels from Halibrand.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:23 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

What if Chevy entered one of these "prototypes" in a '50's road race like Mexico or the Mille Miglia? If they got a flat they'd have to remove the fin to get at the spare!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:36 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

What if Chevy entered one of these "prototypes" in a '50's road race like Mexico or the Mille Miglia? If they got a flat they'd have to remove the fin to get at the spare!
THAT'S ONLY THE CASE ON JOHN'S SR2.
Numbers 1 and 2 had the trunk lid hinged at the REAR of the car. Thus, when it opened from the FRONT of the trunk lid, the fin came up with the trunk lid.

The fuel filler is between the headrest and the fin. The fuel door is hinged to expose the cap under the fuel door.

Additionally, 1,2,4(John's SR2) have HD brakes/suspension. But ONLY 1-2 have ducted air to the rear brakes. The air is scooped at the rear of the cove, travels through the door and channeled to an S duct which directs air to the scoops on the rear backing plates.

SR2 #2(owned by Bill Tower) has a one of a kind air box for the FI unit. No.2(formerly owned by Rich Mason) has an FI unit modified with dual air meters, thus, no airbox ducting air to the FI unit.

John's (#4) SR2 has a 58-62 style air cleaner directing air (which I fabricated) to the FI unit (a modified unit I built for him).

I made the sheetmetal bracket which keeps the air hose away from the generator. It's made from stainless, polished and then finely blasted to resemble a cadmium finish.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 12-17-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The hot set-up for street racing was the '62-'67 Chevy II or Nova with a 327 or larger small block. Most of the time hot Camaros would lose to these light little shoeboxes, and forget anything larger and heavier. The dragging advantage would not show up in magazine road tests because Novas did not have wide or sticky rubber from the showroom. But once you took care of traction, the power to weight ratio did the rest. Only cars I recall that came close would be stripped-out Tri-Five Chevys with lots of fiberglass body panels. See "Two Lane Blacktop".
Follow up!

Somebody might call my hand but I don't ever remember getting beat on the street in this.

The BB engines on the street were limited by restrictive exhaust and traction. Many times, the driver.

Best time in the 1/8 7.80. That was in 1967 on 7 inch tires. No traction aid. 327/375 FI.

Attached Images  

Last edited by MikeM; 12-17-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Jds3660
Intermediate

I've always been a fan of the look of the SS, SR2, '60 Lemans cars and others that ran the Halibrands with the "skinny" 6.70-15 tires that were available in the day (like you have).
I see the last Halibrand pick you posted (the "stronger" one) appears to have a 6.70-15, I can't read the sidewall on the Firestone racing tire.

Which size does your car have - it's hard for me to tell, but they look like 6.70-15s?

While I know some folks on this site think I'm crazy - but I've been tempted to buy a set of ET-Sebring wheels (see below) and put a set of "bias-look" 6.70-15 radials on my '63 SWC. They make them in both K/O and bolt-on. Again.....it may be sacrilege to say, I'm somewhat paranoid of the K/O because it can loosen if you don't keep a close eye on it (?) and obviously easier to rip off........

The E-T is pretty close - there are better wheels out there, of course, but these are only $300-$400 each depending o what size and options you pick.

Last edited by Jds3660; 12-17-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Jds3660
Intermediate

BTW.....whenever I've been on the Halibrand site, they continue to say the "Kidney Bean" wheels are discontinued. I take it you must have gotten yours awhile ago? As I mention in the recent post, the only "affordable" alternative I've come across recently, with Halibrands not being available, are the ET-Sebrings.....

Yours look like they may be 15x6's with 6.70-15 tires (at least in the indoor pics).
Old 12-17-2014, 11:09 PM
64 Silver Blue
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

And, per Brian's and Walter's comments immediately above, (from my perspective) Chevrolet STILL doesn't "get it"!!! I think that is a fairly commonly shared opinion by many people.
But here is the part that I REALLY do not not understand--------------------WHY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE WE ALL STILL CHEVY LOVERS?????????????????
That means something is wrong with both of us---------------Chevrolet and Chevrolet owners!
Here is an interesting article on the same topic with a letter to Chevrolet written by Zora A Duntov.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/histo...duntov-letter/
Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

A vintage racing friend of mine who died a few years ago use to tell me stories of going to Shreveport and Green Valley where the Ol Shel was racing in the late 50's while still under contract to Ferrari. Per the contract he was not to race anything but Ferrari's so he would enter under an alias and then get in Corvette's, Maserati's whatever most of the time placing in the top 3. After the race we was packed up and gone before anyone knew it. But everyone knew who he was.

That friend of mine had Delmo Johnson stories too hanging out at Chevrolet dealership at night watching them work on his newest race car. My friend had no money to race as he was a High School football coach but loved racing. The best ending to this short story is he got to fulfill his dream and vintage raced for the last 12 years of his life....a very good life it was.

Steve

Last edited by C2Racer; 12-18-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

THAT'S ONLY THE CASE ON JOHN'S SR2.
Numbers 1 and 2 had the trunk lid hinged at the REAR of the car. Thus, when it opened from the FRONT of the trunk lid, the fin came up with the trunk lid.

Wow, learn something almost every day on CF, THANKS!!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:39 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
A vintage racing friend of mine who died a few years ago use to tell me stories of going to Shreveport and Green Valley where the Ol Shel was racing in the late 50's while still under contract to Ferrari. Per the contract he was not to race anything but Ferrari's so he would enter under an alias and then get in Corvette's, Maserati's whatever most of the time placing in the top 3. After the race we was packed up and gone before anyone knew it. But everyone knew who he was.

That friend of mine had Delmo Johnson stories too hanging out at Chevrolet dealership at night watching them work on his newest race car. My friend had no money to race as he was a High School football coach but loved racing. The best ending to this short story is he got to fulfill his dream and vintage raced for the last 12 years of his life....a very good life it was.

Steve
Good story Steve, Delmo is still around and still has stories to tell
Old 12-19-2014, 01:40 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Good story Steve, Delmo is still around and still has stories to tell
Speaking of Delmo (one of the original drivers of the GS), several years ago, John Neas invited me to bring the 56 to a BIG diabetes fundraising event in Tulsa. John had his 56 Sebring car on display alongside one of the ORIGINAL GS cars driven by Delmo and Dave Morgan.

Dave himself

Dave, John, Mayor of Tulsa
Old 12-19-2014, 02:33 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Tom, I got to race against that car when Bruce Canepa drove it at Laguna Seca for the 2013 Historics. It still looks good, sounds great, and goes fast!

Quick Reply: Carroll Shelby drove a SR2 Corvette