C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alternator and under noise questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Cre8vtv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator and under noise questions

Hi everyone,

I'm done some tweaking in the past few weeks and am hoping for some insight. I'm hearing some noises from my engine that I've not noticed before, so I thought I'd ask around. Here are the details:
GM 350 V8 5.7L Moroso Engine

1) There was clearly some wearing on the bearing on my Alternator, so I replaced it with Delco Remy #7122. (I believe is runs 35-63amps) Since I have AC I felt that would be pref. Replacing this did seem to improve all, however, I'm noticing my volage meter on the dash is pegged +40 now that it's in. I want to be very careful not to fire my harness or something stupid. Do you think I'm just in the midst of the battery (Red Top gel cell) getting recharged or what? Am I at risk of fire???

2) I flushed the oil and replaced it with royal purple. When the car start to reach temp I'm noticing a lot more tappet noise. Thoughts?

3) End of last summer I started hearing a scraping sound that was in time with the engine turning... tracing in down, I'm finding the noise is coming from my rotor cap. It's a new electronic ignition and I can't imagine there's be a problem with it. Mind you the car runs just fine. Very smooth. Just can't stand that noise. It's like the rotor is scraping on the inside of the cap. When I pulled the cap to look, there's very little sign of wear. It's just a freaky sound I'd rather not have. Thoughts?

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

1. Shouldn't be charging that much.
2. Do you have solid lifters? You need special oil with zinc.
3. Better check the upper bearing in that new dizzy.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Number 1: Points are stuck in your mechanical regulator. You will fry the battery.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bang that regulator a couple of times hard and start the car, the amp gauge should fall, it not, the VR really is stuck closed. A Wells VR715 from AutoZone for 16 bucks should solve your problem. Hope this helps, Bill.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:21 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dist. noise

I don't know what electronic ign. conversion you bought. I bought a Pertronics II and it came with shims to make sure the up and down movement [ of the shaft] is very little. There isn't very much clearance to have the parts rubbing and then get a failure. They want you to take the dist. out and check the up and down movement to make absolutely sure there is clearance when installing the conversion.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator and under noise questions

Quick Reply: Alternator and under noise questions