C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Edelbrock C4B Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:58 PM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
ALL small-block Chevy V-8's have the #1 wire tower and the point adjusting window oriented as shown in the photo above, and virtually all of them have vacuum advance units. If you're unable to set your timing correctly, you'll need to pull the distributor and re-orient the drive gear 180* on the shaft; that will give you an extra 13* of distributor housing rotation away from the #8 intake runner.
I never knew that and it may be the cure to my woes, I'm not sure if I want to do this without some help, I probably would open a real can of worms
Thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by BillbUrruss
I never knew that and it may be the cure to my woes, I'm not sure if I want to do this without some help, I probably would open a real can of worms
Thanks
Certainly get help if you need it but after swapping intakes - 'stabbing' the distributor is the easy part of the job; even if you have to compensate for the performance manifold
Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

1st page of this thread will not load for me...

Don't know if the problem is the computer I'm using or something else. ?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan22
1st page of this thread will not load for me...

Don't know if the problem is the computer I'm using or something else. ?
I just loaded both pages.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:03 PM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Default Intake manifold

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Certainly get help if you need it but after swapping intakes - 'stabbing' the distributor is the easy part of the job; even if you have to compensate for the performance manifold
After I installed the Edlebrock I put the distributor back in the same way it came out and it dropped all the way down, perfectly. But the vacume advance was hard against the manifold and could only be adjusted one way, which was the wrong way according to my timing light. I took it to my local friend/mechanic and it was one tooth off. I believe it was like that when I bought it. I never owned a 283/230hp, so I just thought it was supposed to be sort of a "weak" runner. Runs much better now.
Thanks
Bill
Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 AM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

My Edelbrock C3BX is straight off my '63 original motor and they are nice looking and some grind the Edelbrock logo off; the filler tube is in the right spot, original dizzy works fine with it and there is no stripped threads/broken ears. You can run a Carter AFB on it with manual choke just fine (I did for over a year).

Its a nice, lightweight, low profile, old school, dual plane that gives a nice performance boost but its not gonna add 70 hp to your stock mill. There is also no 'hot slot' under the carb to cause percolation and corrosion to your carb.
My hood is just touching the stock air cleaner. I have a 61 283/230hp with a WCFB carb, with no spacer and I have a C4B intake. I need about a 1/4" and It was suggested to take the C4B to the local machine shop and have it milled down.
Does anybody know if the stock cast iron manifold is lower than the C4B?
I never thought to measure. Or is there an old style aluminum manifold than is lower
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I can almost guarantee the cast iron manifold is shorter but I have no measurements to back it up. I don't know of another aftermarket manifold that'll even come close to giving you the hood clearance with the original WCFB/air cleaner combo. The eddybrock 3CB and related series are the lowest, aluminum, dual planes I found that would work on my car. I did run an AFB carb with it though - something to think about if its lower than the WCFB.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:55 PM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

I can almost guarantee the cast iron manifold is shorter but I have no measurements to back it up. I don't know of another aftermarket manifold that'll even come close to giving you the hood clearance with the original WCFB/air cleaner combo. The eddybrock 3CB and related series are the lowest, aluminum, dual planes I found that would work on my car. I did run an AFB carb with it though - something to think about if its lower than the WCFB.
I called Edlebrock and they said it was the lowest profile they ever made. I'm going to pull it off and compare it to the stock OEM and then decide what to do
Thanks for responding
Old 09-10-2015, 12:59 AM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
ALL small-block Chevy V-8's have the #1 wire tower and the point adjusting window oriented as shown in the photo above, and virtually all of them have vacuum advance units. If you're unable to set your timing correctly, you'll need to pull the distributor and re-orient the drive gear 180* on the shaft; that will give you an extra 13* of distributor housing rotation away from the #8 intake runner.
Well I reinstalled my OEM cast iron manifold because the Edlebrock C4B sat up about a 1/4" too high and the air cleaned rubbed the hood.
Then I took the car to my mechanic because I couldn't figure out the timing. He agreed there is a problem and couldn't adjust it by turning the distributer but it is in correctly. He suspects my balancer has slipped. It seems to start and run fine so I'll live with it. I really liked the looks of the aluminum manifold. Wasn't meant to be
Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

It would be a really odd coincidence that your balancer slipped sufficiently to affect your timing concurrently with an intake swap. Possible, but I would double check everything else before rebuilding the balancer....
Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

It would be a really odd coincidence that your balancer slipped sufficiently to affect your timing concurrently with an intake swap. Possible, but I would double check everything else before rebuilding the balancer....
I'm having the windshield and dash pad replaced at Tony's Corvettes. I'll get them to look at it
Old 10-29-2015, 10:54 AM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Default Problems with timing and C4B intake

I ended up taking the C4B off and replacing it with the stock cast iron manifold that was on the car because it is about a 1/2" higher and the air cleaner was rubbing the hood. Then I tried the timing and couldn't find the mark. Starts, no backfiring, and purrs like a kitten.
I took my car to my mechanic and had him check the timing. He said everything was fine but he couldn't time it. TDC was on number one but when he tried to time it he couldn't see the mark. His guess was the balancer may be screwed up. The car runs fine so I said to leave it alone.
I now have the car at Tony's Corvettes in Gaithersburg, MD, for a new windshield and dash pad and several other little things and asked him to look at the timing. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock C4B Manifold