C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trailing Arm Bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Cj_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailing Arm Bushing install

Removed the trailing arm bolts and old bushing without much effort. When I started to install the new outer sleeves, they didnt fit in well at all. There is an 1/8" gap between the trailing arm and the outer sleeves. I checked the new sleeves against the old sleeves and they are less than 1/16" different. I set in the old sleeves and they too have nearly 1/8" off the trailing arm.

It appears that the trailing arm is concave at the bushing mounting point. Everything else with the trailing arm is in good shape, so I would hate to have to replace it.

Can anyone shed light on whether this is standard? or not a worry? should I try to spread the area? or I am fubar?

Thank you,

Cj
old sleeves

new sleeves

Last edited by Cj_; 06-29-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Cj,

Here's a pretty thorough post with pics of redoing trailing arms (these happen to be C3's but should be a mirror for C2's). Your issue may be addressed there. If not, I'd contact Gary Ramadie (GTR1999). He's very thorough and detail oriented AND very helpful on the phone (203-776-2813 x139).

Here's his walk through:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=77000

Oh, I spoke with Gary the other day on mine. Wanted him to go through my diff as well, but he's under a time constraint that doesn't fit mine. Thinking of just having the TA's done by him. Very thorough approach.

Here's my '5 b/4 I dismantled the back of the car:

Here's a closer view of the back of her b/4 I touched her ('cept for the spring perches):

Here's a rather empty back end after she's been "touched":

Good luck!

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by 6T5RUSH; 06-29-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-29-2008, 04:28 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Hi guys,
that bushing area may be caved in from a previous installer. You may be able to tap it out to the original flat surface to get the bushings flat.
If those are rubber bushings then you're going to have to compress them before you can flare the sleeve. If poly I can't help you as I never use poly on arms.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I just installed a set of bushings and made sure to pay attention to the fit. I had one that was not flat, not as open as yours but I took a look at the end and there was a little longer then the other one. I just touched it on a sander to clean it up and installed it ok.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Cj,

I'm doing a good job of stealing your thread Cj.

Glad to see Gary chime in here.

Thinking you may get into "whilimatits" with the trailing arms removed, I ended up cleaning the underside of my body. I used Simple Green first and then finished up with laquer (sp?) thinner. Used an old chisel as well as a putty knife for oversprayed paint. Not done yet but here's a couple of pics of my effort today ('bout 1 1/2 hours worth).

Ya' know, you're never done.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Cj_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My big "whilimatit" was new carpet this year. I planned to pull the entire rear suspension out due to problems with the car sitting off level.

Was able to straiten out the Trailing Arms and installed the new bushings... used the washer from the old spring mounting bolts and a socket to hammer things straighter. I am happy with how everything is fitting now...

Although fighting with the U-Joints now... but that is a whole other story

Cj

Last edited by Cj_; 06-29-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arm Bushing install

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Bushing install