C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alternator brackets for C1

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

No my heads do not have those threaded holes...

Thanks kindly...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Ken,

Can certainly see (from your photos) where the alternator is angled and off alignment with the other pulleys.

I don't have an OEM answer to what you need, and hope Tom or some of the other guys can help.

If nothing comes forth, you can try adding to the existing bracket to put it into alignment by adding a spacer/backup plate between the exhaust manifold and the existing bracket (to move it forward into the correct plane with the other pulleys). I think then you need some type of a brace/bracket that comes from one of the water pump mounting bolts to the front of the alternator @ the bottom mounting bolt (to keep it in alignment, and prevent it from twisting inward towards the water pump pulley). Might need a slightly longer water pump bolt, and don't forget the sealer on the water pump bolt threads.

Good luck,
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-15-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken,

I just looked at your picture.

I have a two groove steel/ chromed pulley on my '60 , and the gap between the pulley and the motor mount is narrower. From the edge of the pulley to the edge of the motor mount , the gap is 5/8". If you install one of these pulleys , the groove next to the motor mount will probably line up to your alternator.

B.T.W. you will need a two groove bottom pulley , and the v-belt size [length] will probably change also.

This way you won't have to mess with getting the correct bracket.

Just a alternative way to go. Ed
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is info here that I posted a few years ago when I did for the same conversion using a ram's horn manifold with front mounting points. Save the Wave.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti....php?TopicID=4

Quick Reply: Alternator brackets for C1