C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Repair Shops and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Default Repair Shops and Theft

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I read a while back about a C1 owner's dual four barrels being stolen off his car while it was in a repair shop.

I have an estimate to replace my windshield from one place and another estimate to touch up some paint dings from another. BOTH estimates have fine print that says, "...not responsible for fire, theft".

What does this mean actually ? If my car is in a shop for a windshield insurance claim and the carbs are stolen then its ANOTHER claim on MY personal insurance. Or does the shop have any liability at all?

Not asking for a binding legal opinion just some experiences from members in this regard.

Frank
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
ToolMaker427
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it will fall to your policy.
In my state anyway.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

would keep looking for another shop - sounds like these shops don't have adequate "umbrella" policies to covertheir asses
Old 07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm sure it will vary with state law, but one thing I do know. Lots of places post lots of signs disclaiming any responsibility for various things. Just because they post a sign disclaiming any responsibility doesn't necessarily make them not responsible.

Again, varies with state law I'm sure. If I had a loss, I'd sure be checking!!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:49 PM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
would keep looking for another shop - sounds like these shops don't have adequate "umbrella" policies to covertheir asses

Not necessarily true. There are different types of garage keepers policies. The most common and cost effective (for all parties) type only permits coverage in the case where the shop is determined to be "at fault". This type of policy would cover negligence or damage caused directly by the shop's employees during the course of business but items believed to be "acts of God" or things outside of the responsibility and fault of the shop are excluded.

For example:
1.) a tornado rips the roof off of the shop building and damages the vehicle = "act of God" and would not be covered under garage keepers policy.
2.) Shop damages the fender of the car while working on the engine = covered under garage keeper's policy due to negligence by the shop.

Theft of a part would have to be determined to be due to negligence directly by the shop to be covered.

There are also broader garage keepers policies that cover all instances of damage regardless of fault. Typically these policies have much higher premiums and generally reflect in higher shop rates charged to customers.

At least the above is how our policy works in Ohio. Probably different in other states. I always found the most risky repairs are being made in "back yard" garages where only a homeowner's insurance policy is involved. I have a friend whose '67 big block burned up in a guy's garage when he knocked over a heater while draining the fuel system.... No coverage and had a real problem with his insurance company who believed it was a case of negligence. Eventually he got paid but not without headaches. Ironically he is an insurance agent!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Pretty much what I figured - both shops I'm dealing with are well known in Florida and highly regarded...one is a small family outfit but with nice faciities and the other is a franchise also with a good reputation locally.

I'll try not to leave the car in either place for more than a couple of days and will inquire about the insurance before leaving it...but hell you can't worry about everything.

This is why I try to do most of my own work!!
Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, I changed my w/s myself. I heard a lot of crazy stories about people changing the c1 w/s and not knowing exactly how to do it. Make sure the shop is familiar with changing a c1 w/s. Back in the day (from what I heard) the body man would break the w/s post tabs, to fit the w/s in place, rather than taking out the 7 "T" bolts out that hold the entire w/s assemby in place and replacing the w/s correctly. Be ware, make sure the body man knows how to replace the w/s correctly. If he does not, find someone who does.
Good Luc k,
George
Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Deadrise
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would NEVER leave my car ANYWHERE over night!!

Go there during the day and waite for the work to be done!!

BK
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadrise
I would NEVER leave my car ANYWHERE over night!!

Go there during the day and waite for the work to be done!!

BK
what happens if it is a job that cannot be completed in a single afternoon?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Solid,

you just explained in several paragraphs what I said in a few words - inadequate or non-existent insurance by the garage could be a reason to walk!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM
jammovette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
what happens if it is a job that cannot be completed in a single afternoon?
I guess you have to bring the r/v and camp out in the parking lot. Jeez, just a fiberglass chevy car, somebody hurts it or steals it, get a better one.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
Maybe I'm being paranoid but I read a while back about a C1 owner's dual four barrels being stolen off his car while it was in a repair shop.

I have an estimate to replace my windshield from one place and another estimate to touch up some paint dings from another. BOTH estimates have fine print that says, "...not responsible for fire, theft".

What does this mean actually ? If my car is in a shop for a windshield insurance claim and the carbs are stolen then its ANOTHER claim on MY personal insurance. Or does the shop have any liability at all?

Not asking for a binding legal opinion just some experiences from members in this regard.

Frank
Frank,

You will need to check Florida's law on this. In NC where I live there is a Carriage law that has been on the books for quite some time. This law states that a repair shop that accepts a vehicle for repair also accepts the responsibility of caring for that vehicle while it is in their posession. Signs that state " not responsible blah,blah,blah" do not relieve the business of this responsibility. When you see that disclaimer they are basically hoping that you do not know the law and will go away.
Example: Customer brings their Jeep in for repair and leaves it in the custody of the repair shop. During that night the Jeep has it's catalytic converters stolen (current rage). It is the repair shops responsibility to have protected that vehicle. They must replace the converters.

I have spoken directly to our Atty.General Roy Cooper regarding this as a clarification regarding the law was needed for our dealership. Hope this helps. Be careful where you leave your Vette. Parts swapping does go on.

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by vettefred; 07-28-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Not meaning to hijack, but certainly related...

What if you take your car to a dealer that sells on consignment? Just the fuel filter ***'y with the bracket for a '57 fuelie sold on eBay a few months ago for $1,800. It would be easy for a disgruntled employee or a shop owner who needs a few bucks to grab $10-large worth of stuff out from under the hood.

RG
Old 07-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well there are plenty of repair jobs that require leaving your car overnight. I do nearly everything on my cars but insurance is covering the windshield and I just plain don't feel like messing with it.

I'll just schedule things so I absolutely minimize the time the car has to be in the shop(s). I don't think the shops I've selected are remiss in the insurance they carry...maybe the 'legalese' on the estimate is just wordplay and they are liable for losses....I'll check some more. I'll bet the big GM and other dealers prob have the same words on their estimates.

Certainly if they aren't diligent in locking up or having alarms and fire suppression equipment you could make a legal issue of it.

In reality the only thing that could really get stolen that would whiz me off would be the carbs cuz it was Sooo hard to find the correct ones in working order...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

My son and I just opened a shop in FL, and purchased the required "garage keeper" insurance. The policy is at least 20 pages long, fine print; NOW maybe I better read what's covered!!!

If the shop is well respected (and has limited number of employees) I would not worry about theft...we keep watch on everything, and know what is going on.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
My son and I just opened a shop in FL, and purchased the required "garage keeper" insurance. The policy is at least 20 pages long, fine print; NOW maybe I better read what's covered!!!

If the shop is well respected (and has limited number of employees) I would not worry about theft...we keep watch on everything, and know what is going on.
My experience is, dont read the policy. It will just make you mad and your head hurt. The only thing you will gain is the knowledge that they will not be covering the loss before hand. Just wait untill you have a claim to find that out. You will be a lot more happy.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

We had a repair shop in our area that was swapping out customers original parts for repro parts, correct carbs for clones etc. Acquired quite the parts collection before going out of business.

Get notified of new replies

To Repair Shops and Theft

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Mike7061
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
We had a repair shop in our area that was swapping out customers original parts for repro parts, correct carbs for clones etc. Acquired quite the parts collection before going out of business.
You still mad?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Right after I bougght my 65 coupe in 1999, I took it to a local Corvette shop to get some work done. My car had four perfect wheel covers when I left the car wiyj them. After I got it home, two of them had pitted spinners, and the stainless was dented and scratched. I went back, and they had a 65 sitting on their showroom floor with four perfect wheel covers. I couldn't prove it, but I would bet that two of them were mine. I haven't been back since.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The shop replacing my windshield is a Father & sons deal and he knows the old C1s (including windshield replacement) I don't worry about employee theft there - more like somebody breaking in and stealing. When I pulled up the guys in the parts shop next door came over to gawk over the car, the shop owner raised the hood to get the VIN and one of the onlookers says, "Damn, its a dual quad car". Not somebody you would want your daughter to date. Just put my radar up.

The paint shop does high-end BMW's, Mercedes, and can prob do my touch up in one day so that's less of a problem.

I'll check my carb numbers when I pick up the car but I would know instantly if they were clones...I ran clones for 7 months and there is no comparison to real 270HP carbs. My wheel covers are hardly pristine so I don't worry over those too much. I would just hate to have ANOTHER insurance claim on a theft while I am getting a repair done under the same policy - probably never get covered again !!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-29-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Repair Shops and Theft