C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Flaming River steering column

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Flaming River steering column

Because of my problems with the turn signal switch in my Corvette, I'm contemplating purchasing a Flaming River or Ididit steering column...

According to the Ididit site some modifications are required to your existing steering column to accomodate the Ididit unit....

http://www.ididitinc.com/retrofit_co...rvette_oh.html

53-62 Corvette
Due to lack of space in front of the dash this column is only available in a straight version. The original under-dash mount will be used and you will be required to fabricate your own floor mount. There is a solid shaft that extends from inside the gearbox to the steering wheel. This shaft will need to be cut and modified to fit a coupler. Your original wheel or an aftermarket wheel can be used. Although, a new adapter will be required.
I could not find any similar info at the Flaming River site, so I sent them an e-mail asking....

This is the reply I got back....

Dear Ken,
The column is a direct bolt in column with the exception of the
wiring,however, we also offer the female side of the column's wiring
plug,that will allow you to transfer the stock wiring over to this
adapter, and then plug into the column.

Best Regards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.
800-648-8022
Has any regulars installed a FR column with the stock 53-62 front suspension?

Cheers

Ken
Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

<<Quote:
Dear Ken,
The column is a direct bolt in column with the exception of the
wiring,however, we also offer the female side of the column's wiring
plug,that will allow you to transfer the stock wiring over to this
adapter, and then plug into the column.

Best Regards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.
800-648-8022>>

That's hogwash - apparently they didn't understand that you're talking about a C1. Their column requires exactly the same kind of rework/fabrication as the Ididit column.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

And since you have a 1960 model, your VIN tag may be spot-welded to your steering column (depending on when your car was produced) so you may have to deal with relocating your VIN tag to the new column.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's hogwash - apparently they didn't understand that you're talking about a C1. Their column requires exactly the same kind of rework/fabrication as the Ididit column.

Bill
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
And since you have a 1960 model, your VIN tag may be spot-welded to your steering column (depending on when your car was produced) so you may have to deal with relocating your VIN tag to the new column.
JUST enough room...

Bill
Old 08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar with the C1s. What is the problem with the turm signal switch? Wouldn't it be easier to fabricate a switch into the original column?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rgs
I'm not familiar with the C1s. What is the problem with the turm signal switch? Wouldn't it be easier to fabricate a switch into the original column?
if you can come up with a foolproof conversion for the POS C1 turnsignal mechanism, your fortune will be made.. the problem is moreso with the cam assembly than the switch itself.
Bill
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Ken,

Note that for replacement of the column, if keeping the stock C1 steering box, the column does not need to be as short as shown in wmf62's picture. His column is much shorter since he was converting to a "modern" rack & pinion system. And in fact, his could of been several inches longer (as seen in his picture, you can see the straight coupling and splined shaft extension that was added).

However, to change a steering column due to a problem with the turn signals seems somewhat extreme. Yes, it solves the problem, but at what cost? I know wmf62 had to purchase several other items to make it work (couplings & u-joints, shaft, adapter for steering wheel, wiring "kit"). With the stock steering box, you not need the u-joint, but most of the other "stuff" would be needed.

Now if you were planning on replacing the steering box with something "better", then a new column makes more sense.

I to am surprised that someone has not come up with a better turn signal switch for the C1's. But I do fault the switch as well, since the need to return to exact center (or the both brakes lights will not be lit) is a big part of the problem (along with the cam and levers).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-05-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Ken,

Note that for replacement of the column, if keeping the stock C1 steering box, the column does not need to be as short as shown in wmf62's picture. His column is much shorter since he was converting to a "modern" rack & pinion system. And in fact, his could of been several inches longer (as seen in his picture, you can see the straight coupling and splined shaft extension that was added).Plasticman
John
the Ididit 58 - 62 C1 column only comes in one length.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-05-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
if you can come up with a foolproof conversion for the POS C1 turnsignal mechanism, your fortune will be made.. the problem is moreso with the cam assembly than the switch itself.
Bill
Do you have an old switch/cam for a pattern? Any suggestions for improvement? This isn't a problem. I have prototyping and small run capabilities.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rgs
Do you have an old switch/cam for a pattern? Any suggestions for improvement? This isn't a problem. I have prototyping and small run capabilities.
this is what the cam looks like installed

and this is what it looks like out

Bill
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

A better turn signal system would put me in seven-heaven... On the weekend with the assistance of my kid brother (30 years as a mechanic) we took alot of play out of my 60 using the ST12 manual... However we did not have time to drop the pitman arm as per ST12...

Now it's pretty tight and responsive now.. Not as tight or responsive as my 2000 Impala but what a difference... Best she's ever been in the 25 years I've owned her...

I've requested Flaming River provide me with an electronic version of their installation instructions as they are adamant it is a simple bolt in which seems to be in conflict with the good people here... AND I trust the word of my fellow CorvetteForum members more then any vendor when it comes to C1/C2 knowledge...

Cheers

Kenmo

Last edited by kenmo; 08-05-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by wmf62
John
the Ididit 58 - 62 C1 column only comes in one length.
Bill
OK, but does the Flaming River come in different lengths?

And, if the Ididit is billed as a replacement for 58-62 Vettes, then why would it be so short (and not reach closer to the steering box)?

John

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-05-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

And, if the Ididit is billed as a replacement for 58-62 Vettes, then why would it be so short (and not reach closer to the steering box)?

John
While Bill is correct that they only "stock" one length of column for the C1 cars, you can get them to make any length you want if you are willing to wait a few extra days. I moved my whole instrument cluster forward 2" on my 59, and had a clolumn made that just barely clears the firewall. I have also ordered ones that extended the tube way forward to make it easier to get around some headers. FR will do the same thing, but last time I looked at FR's C1 column, it was butt-ugly!
I really like doing business with FR, but their C1 column was too ugly for words. They kept telling me that they were going to make a column with a bell end that was closer in looks to an original one, but as far as I know thay have not yet done so.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Just received an updated e-mail from Flaming River...

Dear Ken,
Sorry, to take so long replying back to you.
Our column is 33" long in length, however,as far as the installation of
the column goes, yes, the long shaft coming up from the steering box
does need to be cut, and a u-joint installed in order to connect the
column to the existing steering.
The column will accept the stock steering wheel,and hub though, without
an adapter being necessary.
So,in closing, we apologize for for misleading you to think that the
column is a direct replacement column!

Best Regards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.
800-648-8022
Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by kenmo
Just received an updated e-mail from Flaming River...
Ken,

I would also expect that the existing shaft coming from the steering box not only needs to be cut off, but also need to add either splines or flats (double "D" or single "D") for mating to the U-joint.

Then there is the potential issue of adding an upper bearing and sealing the tube off (at the cut off steering box tube, where the shaft exits the box). I can't see just leaving that shaft floating and the tube unsealed. If the shaft was cut short, I could see not needing another bearing, but if the column is short, then the steering box shaft will be long, and might need another bearing to support it @ the upper end.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-06-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

I've decided not to go the Ididit or Flaming River route... I've ordered a few things from CC to fix my turn signal light problem..

I really wish someone sold an updated signal switch with hazzard lights...

Cheers

Ken
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

John
John
i don't believe the Ididit column is touted as a 'replacement' per se, only that it is the same style as the original. their Classic Straight column is the same style/look as the C1 column and i think a much better choice as the wires come out of the column in the middle of the bottom, just like my original does. it does come in various lengths, but the longest Classic 'stock' length seems to be 35" (i don't know offhand what the length of mine is). and as John McGraw said, they will make a custom length; we didn't know how the new intermediate shaft was going to run, so we had to add a coupling and a 6" spacer shaft. had i known beforehand, i would have had a 6" longer column made...

all things considered, i think we did one hell of a fine job..

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River steering column

Quick Reply: Flaming River steering column