C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Coupe underlayment / Dynamat install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Default Coupe underlayment / Dynamat install question

I have read the threads about Carpet installation using the Jute underlayment and or Dynamat but am still looking to nail down a couple of things that are gray areas before I begin.

1. I have read good things about Dynamat and was considering installing WITH the Jute backing I got with the new carpet. How is the overall thickness and fit around the wheel wells and rear affected?? Is this overkill to do both?? Some say to just do one or the other.

2. As far as installation, I was wondering if the Dynamat was effected by water. Sometimes we can get water in the footwells on occasion no matter how well we seal everything. Has anyone had any water issues?

3. Has anyone used the Dynamat AND Jute together in a Coupe, and what was your experience with the way the carpet fit due to the extra thickness??? Any problem areas? What would you change or do differently??

Would appreciate hearing from some who have completed the installation and can connect the dots. Thanks guys Pilot Dan
Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I installed jute backing over Dynamat Extreme in my 67 coupe with excellent results - during our Route 66 trip we ended up with a fair amount of water inside the car, and have seen no evidence of the Dynamat coming loose. But is is very important to make sure the Dynamat is bonded to the fiberglass. I cleaned and scraped and vacuumed until I had all the surfaces clean, then used some lacquer thinner to make sure there were no traces of oils remaining.
I used a small wooden roller to go over the Dynamat to insure it was bonded tightly, and made sure there were no voids anywhere.

The Dynamat is so thin that it does not really affect carpet or jute padding fit. The only area that I noticed any real fit issues were the door panels - especially around the door lock *****.

That car is a pleasure to drive - the Dynamat really reduces noise and vibration and provides a "solid feeling".

Bob

Last edited by R6T7; 08-07-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I can't answer your questions, but I can tell you that Dynamat does not claim to do anything regarding heat, it is just for sound deadening.. If the jute is too thick, you can also use 1/8" foil covered micro beads to insulate the cabin.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I did the same as R6T7 using dynamat and jute backing. It makes a difference reducing sound and vibrations and does make the car much more solid. If you do not use jute backing, you will not get the proper plushness in the carpet.

We also had some water in the car on the Route 66 cruise; after it dried out there is no problem at all.
Roy
Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pilot:
Dyna Mat does not absorb water.

In my '60 it reduced heat and sound by a factor of 5 at least.

Your floors might get wet in a coupe? Somebody pinch me.
Leave the jute out and wetness/musty smell will not be a problem. Carpets dry quickly but that jute crap takes forever to dry.

A great side benefit from the use of DM is that all of the little seams and pin holes in your floors and firewall will be sealed. Great stuff.

Good luck,

Ralph
Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with everyone above. I lined my coupe's interior with DM under the jute, and it makes a big difference.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Dynamat

I used Thermotec in my 66 Coupe. It is less expensive than Dynamat. I covered the floor, roof, back, doors etc. and used the jute between the carpet and the Thermotec. Much quieter inside the car. I can even hear the radio above the sidepipes. Jerry
Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R6T7
I installed jute backing over Dynamat Extreme in my 67 coupe with excellent results - during our Route 66 trip we ended up with a fair amount of water inside the car, and have seen no evidence of the Dynamat coming loose. But is is very important to make sure the Dynamat is bonded to the fiberglass. I cleaned and scraped and vacuumed until I had all the surfaces clean, then used some lacquer thinner to make sure there were no traces of oils remaining.
I used a small wooden roller to go over the Dynamat to insure it was bonded tightly, and made sure there were no voids anywhere.

The Dynamat is so thin that it does not really affect carpet or jute padding fit. The only area that I noticed any real fit issues were the door panels - especially around the door lock *****.

That car is a pleasure to drive - the Dynamat really reduces noise and vibration and provides a "solid feeling".

Bob
Thanks for all the replies so far. Bob and other Coupe guys did you glue the Jute to the dynamat ??? Also, whose brand of Jute did you use?? I noticed that my ACC kit is a bit skimpy. The pieces are a little smaller and none supplied to go over the top of the wheel wells as original, just part way up the sides. The back piece is also short as you can see in the photo.
My originals were full pieces all the way to the top.
Did yours look like this??? Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 08-07-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pilot5970
Thanks for all the replies so far. Bob and other Coupe guys did you glue the Jute to the dynamat ??? Also, whose brand of Jute did you use?? I noticed that my ACC kit is a bit skimpy. The pieces are a little smaller and none supplied to go over the top of the wheel wells as original, just part way up the sides. The back piece is also short as you can see in the photo.
My originals were full pieces all the way to the top.
Did yours look like this??? Dan
Dan -

I used a "no-name" jute that I got from a local auto carpet guy - I don't think it's important that your jute does not reach all the way to the top of the wheel wells, or the rear of the back of the car. The Dynamat will provide more sound deadening than many layers of jute in those areas, and it will be easier to get the carpet to stick to the Dynamat above the wheel wells and along the back wall without the jute.

I used a minimal amount of glue to hold the jute and the carpet in place - it would be very difficult to remove the glue from the dynamat if you needed to change out the pad or the carpet in the future. much of the carpet will stay in place without any glue, except for the vertical areas.

Bob
Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default It's no coupe, but it still needs insulation!

Following the advice and guidance of R6T7 and 67-427ci after returning from our Route 66 excursion, I lined my '65 roadster with Dynamat Extreme wherever the ACC jute underlayment didn't go as well as underneath it in important areas like the firewall, etc.

Having done a carpet replacement in the early eighties using liquid contact cement and a decidedly inferior jute product from Terry Michaelis, I expected some difficulty cleaning things up. Little did I know what a horrible experience lay ahead of me.

Now there is a (somewhat complete) layer of Dynamat Extreme, followed by jute and carpeting on top for a very plush look and feel.

Where glue was needed I used spray adhesive very sparingly. It looks very good, and will be much less of a nightmare to replace 25 years hence.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the replies guys! I went ahead and ordered the Dynamat and will use the jute on top. I have a spare roll of jute that I can cut some extra pieces out to fill in the missing areas. Did you guys Dynamat over the floor drain plugs as well?? I was thinking of going around them just in case. Pilot Dan
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pilot5970
Did you guys Dynamat over the floor drain plugs as well??
NO!

I like to keep my options open.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

just did underlayment and carpet last week in my 67. 3 things I learned:

1) put gas pedal in first before seats triming and gluing
2) Put seats in then glue and Trim
3) carpet glue -auto parts store - white can orange top works the best.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe underlayment / Dynamat install question

Quick Reply: Coupe underlayment / Dynamat install question