C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help on info for 1962 windshield assy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:02 PM
C6-13thOilotCar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help on info for 1962 windshield assy.

I am reassembling the windshield frame on my 1962 Vette. The question I have is on the upper frame to header molding. Should the upper molding fit over the header molding and over lap the lower edge of upper frame on both sides or just one side?
When I took the frame apart only the forward edge of the upper windshield molding was attached under the upper frame. Is this correct?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm not sure I understand your question, but both sides fit identically.Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2008, 06:46 PM
C6-13thOilotCar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks that answers my last question.
New question? To install the steel upper windshield frame inside the stainless upper molding do you slide it in from one end thru to the other? The bends on the frame look awful tight to go thru the stainless outer molding.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm in the midst of doing my 59 windshield and dash pad. I think that the windshields (59/62) are much the same for your year. To answer your first question I don't believe that the front of the chrome molding( outside of the car) fits over the frame in the same manner as it does on the back side (inside of the car). The outside seems to fit better, into a small valley in the weather strip. The inside part kind of ends up where it does. As to fitting the molding onto the frame, it's kind of like putting a broomstick into an inner tube. I did it by centering the molding onto the frame then working the frame into the molding. It doesn't look like it will go but with a little effort, it will. One word of caution, make sure everything, ie molding, frame pieces,chrome trim, etc are dead nuts centered, otherwise you'll be taking it off a few times to recenter. Also use plenty of soapy water to facilitate putting the glass into the w/s and frame. Don't want to crack a $500 item.
Steve
Steve
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Newheart21
I am reassembling the windshield frame on my 1962 Vette. The question I have is on the upper frame to header molding. Should the upper molding fit over the header molding and over lap the lower edge of upper frame on both sides or just one side?
When I took the frame apart only the forward edge of the upper windshield molding was attached under the upper frame. Is this correct?
It was installed correctly when you took it apart. The best way to do it is to have the upper channel screwed in place on the assembled windshield frame and then gently start the moulding over the channel from the top and press it into place working from one end to the other till it snaps on. You can then tap it from side to side till the screw holes line up and then install the screws to hold it in place.

Get notified of new replies

To Help on info for 1962 windshield assy.

Quick Reply: Help on info for 1962 windshield assy.